Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Switchback and Top Quilts

When it is still hot out, but you know it is going to be cold later, where do you put your top quilt in a Switchback? Please assume a buggy night and the bugnet is zipped closed.

Also, it there a good way to get the quilt temporarily or partially out of the way? I have hot feet and I often kick the top quilt to the side. In the Switchback, with the oh so soft lining, the top quilt just slides back down over my feet.

Thanks in advance!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i suppose one could attach a sack to the foot end loop sewn into the channel and stuff the tq in there? or vice versa, at the head end as a pillow?
    or, keep it stuffed in your pack beneath the hammock?
    or, snake the quilt around/along the interior clothesline?
    or, draped over the suspended bug netting?
    or, between the hammock and assumed-use underquilt?
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    stitch a small piece of shock cord ~1ft into the inside of the zipper seam (tack both ends). When you want to move the quilt off your feet, reach down pull the shockcord in and slide the footbox between the shockcord and the hammock. The shockcord holds the quilt in place. To get it back, give it a little tug, viola. lol. I use this method with shockcord and my JRB Sleeves in the winter.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    stitch a small piece of shock cord ~1ft into the inside of the zipper seam (tack both ends). When you want to move the quilt off your feet, reach down pull the shockcord in and slide the footbox between the shockcord and the hammock. The shockcord holds the quilt in place. To get it back, give it a little tug, viola. lol. I use this method with shockcord and my JRB Sleeves in the winter.
    Great idea. I did something similar to my WBBB using shock cord and the ridgeline to hold back my quilt and knee bag to the footend so that I could get in and not worry about sitting on my stuff. Worked great. Thanks I'll try this for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i suppose one could attach a sack to the foot end loop sewn into the channel and stuff the tq in there?
    Tried this, it worked, but ultimately I didn't like doing situps in the middle of the night! Probably was good for me in the long run....

or vice versa, at the head end as a pillow?
    My head got too hot and was too big. Tried it as a knee pillow, but again, too hot during the early part of the evening.

or, keep it stuffed in your pack beneath the hammock?
    This is what I've been doing. I hung a bag outside on an extra ridge line. But then it was too, hot, too cold, too hot, too cold. Zip in, zip out, zip in with the bug net. Wold work great in bugless conditions. But it became a lot of thinking while I was trying to "concentrate" on sleeping.

or, snake the quilt around/along the interior clothesline? or, draped over the suspended bug netting?
    Another great idea. The snake thing worked great on the Spear when I added a ridgeline. Unfortunately, the Switchback's ridgeline/bugnet has shockcord, so it wouldn't hold up the top quilt.

or, between the hammock and assumed-use underquilt?
    That's an idea I didn't try. It might actually keep my back cooler during the hot part by making a gap in the underquilt. It might be back to the zip in, zip out situation for the bag, but at least it might also keep me cooler in the first part of the evening.

Thanks and thanks for all those ideas... they all work, just not on this hammock and with me. I hope others looking for a solution try them for themselves.
    ---

Please keep the ideas coming!!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    great idea, i was gonna mention something similar- but in regards to the gear loops sewn into the channels.

a loop of shockcord w/ cord lock to cinch the quilt up.

dant8- i like this a lot! nice.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    great idea, i was gonna mention something similar- but in regards to the gear loops sewn into the channels.

a loop of shockcord w/ cord lock to cinch the quilt up.

dant8- i like this a lot! nice.
    Thanks Rip, I figure I've got to give something back to pay for my Switchback with RW mod. lol. I sleep with my blackrock pulled down over my eyes in the winter, so I want something I can do blindfolded.

• + New Posts