Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on diy sewn-in insultex uq

I have some 1.1 ripstop and insultex coming from diysupply - i want to make a double layer with the insultex attached permanently.

Question: is there a way to gauge how much 'extra' width the insultex and bottom layers need so that they're not squished when i lay in it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Well, that base layer of IX should be close to, if not touching, your body. If you added more layers of IX you would want them to be differentially cut & pleated/darted so each layer was not touching the others. This prevents conductive heatloss between the layers. So, for a dual layer hammock with 1 layer made of IX I'd say just go with the same dimensions as the hammock body.

Where you may have problems...

Using this hammock below probably 55F* your gonna want to use an additional UQ. However, I suspect you would find this arrangement clammy. Because IX isn't readily breathable, vapor pressure alone isn't enough. I've found that a slight breeze on the outer most layer of IX/nylon is almost mandatory to help move vapor through the layers. If you put something like down outside of the IX you will likely find that your bodies vapor can't get past the IX, not enough airflow on the IX itself. It is more commonly recommended that IX be used outside of other insulation. So, with this IX installed on the hammock permanently you will probably be better off using an IX UQ for additional warmth.

You could always just have a second hammock for cooler weather.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    The second layer should be bigger than the first then darted. Should work.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Thx for the info. I forgot to mention this hammock is specifically meant to be my everynight hammock indoors (my wife likes the hammock 'put away' each morning, and I'm tired of messing with a separate UQ).

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    I would beg to differ with what AaronAlso said. Because IX is a vapor barrier it should be used as the layer closest to the body. It will be clammy but in keeping sweat from evaporating it keeps your body from cooling itself. Also, when used as the closest layer it keeps other insulation from losing isulative power because of dampness from sweat vapor. However, using the IX outside other insulation will trap vapor and decrease insulative power. Always use IX closer to the body than down.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I believe that on diygearsupply there is a guide for the uq you are looking for

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Chrisman2013,

All that would be true, if IX was truly a vapor barrier, which it is not. It is undoubtedly semi-permeable. Having even a single layer outside your down will make a huge difference at blocking wind and convective heatloss. However, the semi-permeable nature of IX will/can allow some vapor to pass through. As I mentioned, that breeze across the IX really helps remove the vapor and without it you will likely get clammy.

The recommendation to use IX outside of other insulation wasn't my first thought either. I believe I read a post by MacIntyre or Schlittlefield advising it be used this way. After, the past year experimenting with the Shamu UQ, I have to concure.

Multilayer IX UQ (i.e. Shamu or Baby Orca) needs to be next to the body, but not stretched taught under the hammock.

Single layer IX as windbreak to augment other insulation - Outside the other insulation, sealed up against the hammock, but not crushing your other insulation.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    AaronAlso,
    I guess I thought you were referring to using a multilayer IX underquilt outside of your insulation. I still would be hesitant to use IX outside of my down though
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

I think i got lost somewhere in here ... Theres no down in what im referring to - its just a couple layers(?) of IX that i want to permanently attach to a 1.1 hammock that only needs to hang in my bedroom and survive temps down to about 60F

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I would make a 2 layer insultex under quilt. Then instead of adding the channels to hang it, I would sew it directly to the bottom layer of your hammock. Then make a regular double layer hammock.

When making the insultex quilt, the top layer (the one next to the hammock) would be flat. The bottom insultex layer would need to be pleated to create space to trap the warm air.

The problem that I think you'll run into is that the insultex won't stretch when you lay in the hammock. So I would make a single layer hammock and an insultex quilt. Then while laying in the hammock have someone pin the quilt to the correct place. Then you can sew the quilt to the hammock and then turn the single layer hammock into a double layer hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cwford; 03-23-2012 at 08:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast