Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Tarp Stakes

Since I don't have my hammock or tarp yet, I'm figuring out some of the other pieces of the puzzle. I've been reading a ton of threads about guy lines, line locks, etc. I'm just trying to get some opinions, at least for my first time out about using ONLY stakes and some 2-3mm cord.

What do you think of me just using my MSR Ground Hog stakes and getting a nice tight pitch without any line locks,shock cord,etc. I will be using a Superfly tarp. Would rain cause that much of an issue with sagging, or just look loose?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i have the BMJ and haven't had any issues with sag in the rain, i pitch my tarp nice and tight and it has always stayed that way no matter what the weather

as far a just using stakes your first time out, i would check the forecast and see what the wind is supposed to be like, one of the reasons for lines and tensioners is so that you have a "weak link" in your set-up......your alot better off with some shockcord breaking from high wind and saving your tarp than having the tarp rip

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    What do you think of me just using my MSR Ground Hog stakes and getting a nice tight pitch without any line locks,shock cord,etc.
    You'll be fine. Tensioners are a nice thing to have, but far from necessary. Especially on a silnylon tarp, which has a lot of stretch and give anyway. You can often pull one tight enough that even some stretch won't slack the lines.

I like making a marlinspike hitch at the stake, but there are any number of adjustable hitches and knots that will work fine.

Simple is good.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I have the Hennessy PU-coated Hex rather than a sil tarp like the BMJ. However, nylon tarps all share a couple of things in common: they sag a bit when wet, and the larger the tarp, the more noticeable that can be. Conversely, the larger the tarp, the less that matters as far as getting wet.

Personally, I think you could try that, and it would probably work just fine. A good adjustable knot like the tautline hitch works fine in that application; if you need to tighten your tarp some, just adjust the knot. No tying and untying.

The advantage that linelocs and such have is convenience. You don't have to mess with knots when it's cold out and your fingers are numb or you're in a hurry because of an onrushing storm front. As long as you're familiar with the knots you want to use, it shouldn't be an issue under most conditions.

+1 on the "firebreak" method of tarp hanging. I'd much rather have to replace a guyline or ridgeline because it snapped than try to repair a torn tarp in the field. Cord is a two-minute fix. Patching up an seam sealing a tarp? Well, for me, it's going to be a minimum of fifteen minutes. Folks who are more comfortable with hand-sewing could probably reduce that, but I doubt it would be faster and easier than tying a couple of knots with your extra cordage.

Just a couple of thoughts. YMMV, as always.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I would be tempted to go the silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits route before I chucked the tarp. What you are apparently running into is the wide variety of silicone products available. I think the spray cans are a light oil type that stays that way. Caulking is a rubbery solid that is thinned to flow but sets into rubbery solids between the threads of the cloth.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I've been through some nasty weather under my tarps, 70mph winds a few times and have never used tensioners.

Far from necessary IMO, the stakes will usually pull out before the tarp rips anyway.

I use line-locs which will slip under tarp ripping pressure, but haven't slipped yet in those winds.

Prussics are another way to put a weak link in without making your tarp less tight.

• + New Posts