WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

Newbie here

Well, here goes......what is the cost difference in making one compared to buying one? I know the it all depends on what your buying and making but whats an average price difference? New to hammocks and only tried to sleep in one for an hour (yes that was enough to convince me to buy a hammock) until it started pouring raining (no it didnt have a rainfly-wasnt mine) it was just put up to show the new Boy Scouts what it looks like.

I can sew and I am pretty good at making my own stuff. I have been cruising the forum and there are tons of tutorials. If I am able to make one which tutorials (options) do I really want.
    P.S. If I'm gonna spend the money then I'm going to do it right. Basically all or most of the best bells and whistles.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Not sure what we are discussing but I'll take a stab. If its a hammock - especially single layer without bugnet - these are easy and fun to make. For the time I put into it and the material cost I believe I saved some but mostly had a good time. when incorporating a bugnet, it becomes more complicated (especially for me) and I would look harder at some deals or the sale forum. For TQ's and UQ's, I tend to do these so I can learn and make them closer to my spec rather than save money. Hope this helps!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Welcome to the forum, there are a ton of other posts about if its cheaper to make your gear then to buy it. Of course it is, since you don't have to pay for someone else's time to make the products. Check out the DIY section for a ton of ideas and then the Vendor section for a list of hammock supply vendors. My favorite vendor for diy gear is diygearsupply.com but they are all great to work with.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Like lubbockhammockguy said, it is cheaper if you don't count your time.

That being said, if you use silnylon 1sts, a tarp can cut close to the same price as some of the options out there.
    If I counted time for working on diy under quilts I would be paying 3x the amount of buying from someone, but these projects keep my hands and mind busy and that is half the battle.

Plus there is nothing that compares, for me at least, to someone admiring your gear and then the look on their face when you tell them you made it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome! All good advice here. Dragon pretty well nailed it. My version:
    (1) Make a side-stretch gathered end hammock, single layer.
    (2) Make a separate bugnet.
    (3) Maybe buy a tarp, but by then you'll know whether you want to sew one yourself.
    (4) With the money you will try to convince yourself you have saved, buy an underquilt. (It won't be enough. )
    (5) Use your sleeping bag as a top quilt until you decide you want something different.
    (6) Hike a lot.

Those who know me will recognize this sage advice as "Do as I say, not as I do."

• + New Posts