WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Dundas area Bruce Trail?

Hey, I'm thinking of doing some hiking along the Bruce trail from the Dundas area north. I'm actually going to start from Brantford, taking the rail trail to get to the Bruce Trail and then hike along the BT heading north as far as I can, I have about 5 days I'm planning on spending.

I used to live in Hamilton and have done extensive biking along the BT in the Hamilton/Ancaster/Dundas areas but am unfamiliar with anything north of there.

I imagine it would be a lot more scenic in the summer but I'm planning on my trip being first few days of April. Although I'm not stuck on the area, this will be my first solo hike and hang and after trying to decide on a good place to go, I figured why not right here at home? Sort of a test run if you will. This way if anything happens, my wife is only a short drive away and can come bail me out.

Since I don't believe they allow camping just anywhere along the BT, I'll be doing some stealth hanging. I'm really hoping someone here has done both (hike & hang in this area) and can offer any tips or suggestions; water spots, anything to watch out for (coyotes are probably the main issue right now). I've been checking out the bruce trail website and will most likely download their maps.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    hi as a Bruce trail member. most of the trail runs accross private land and conservation areas. there are designated Bruce trail campsites and but are only intented for thru hikers only as BrianW and I found out doing a test hang at Terra Cotta. Ithe only bruce trail campsite that ii know of down this way is at Terra cotta. the rest are on the north of there.

the problem we ran in to is our vehicles were parked in the conservation lot and we hiked in the the campsite and even though the park gate attendent had no problem with us camping theire or parking in the lot overnight. one of the park staff did hav a problem with us parking in the lot over night.

also the bruce trail campsites have no fire rules. and are just for over night rest stops for thru hikers.

Hey Mark,

Let us know how this goes as it is something that I would really like to attempt as well.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Hey Mark,

Let us know how this goes as it is something that I would really like to attempt as well.
    Will do.

I'm getting quite excited actually. My wife can track me with my phone and thinks she'll join me for a day or two at the end. Not sure how that will work out with parking as I'm not sure where I'll be by then so we'll have to play it by ear.

I would suggest that you ask someone close to the trail entrance if you could park your car in there driveway for a day or two. I would hate to have you come back and have a ticket or worse.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you were so inclined, I'd see if it was possible to try to get a lift to and from your trailhead, and then just do some stealth camping.

The trick is to be very organized and do all of your setup at dusk or just after dark, taking care not to use your flashlight too much. We did that quite a few times around Rattlesnake Point when I was much younger.

Just an idea...
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    I would suggest that you ask someone close to the trail entrance if you could park your car in there driveway for a day or two. I would hate to have you come back and have a ticket or worse.
    I hear ya. We'll have to play that by ear as I'm not sure how far I'll get when she comes out (or if).

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    If you were so inclined, I'd see if it was possible to try to get a lift to and from your trailhead, and then just do some stealth camping.

The trick is to be very organized and do all of your setup at dusk or just after dark, taking care not to use your flashlight too much. We did that quite a few times around Rattlesnake Point when I was much younger.

Just an idea...
    That's the plan actually.

I'm basically just walking out of my front door, or getting dropped off on the other side of Brantford, which is about a days hike from Paris or a 10 min car ride.

2 more nights shifts and then I'm free!! Totally getting stoked.

Good luck tomorrow.

I hope the weather report is wrong.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks.

I've been looking at the weather daily and it hasn't been looking all that great for Sat and Sun. Just checked again and it's supposed to be pretty decent Sat except a high of 7. Even Sunday looks to be improving, although now only a high of 9 down from 15. If anything I'm a little concerned about night time temps, I'll have to add a couple of warm items for sleeping. I'm really looking forward to testing out the 20 deg UQ and TQ from Underground Quilts in this temp.

I'm a phone call away from being picked up so I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about getting ready. Still have to stop by MEC for some last min things, Len's Mill store for some shock cord for the doors on the SF, put my food together, pack...and I only just got up .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast