I used HH skins on my HH hammocks last summer. Liked how quickly one could pack or unpack a hammock, didn't like the long tube for packing.
So I've been doing without skins ever since. In particular I've been folding my tarp. I was on the trail last weekend and was folding up the tarp in a bit of a wind. Was reminded of doing this all the time this winter, and how I didn't like it. I'd been using the "stuff it!" approach, but like my gear a little more compressed, and more like a rectangle than a cylinder.
I decided I would make a skin for the tarp, and use some lightweight tulle material I got from the $1 bin. Questions about skins and comments about using tulle showed up yesterday, it was raining so I couldn't do house maintenance, and so I whipped up a skin. It does things a little differently than I've seen before, so I thought I'd share.
I cut the tulle 12' x 13 inches. That long because I have one tarp with a 12' ridgeline, that wide because I'm aiming for a finished shape that is closer to a rectangle than it is to a large intestine. I marked the cut lines using my laser square to show where the straight line lies, and put down masking tape. I cut it with a hot knife.
Knowing the reputation of tulle to be a PITA to sew, I figured I'd make my tube by folding the rectangle in half the long way (so that is 12' x 6.5 inches), then embed the cut edges into a strip of bias tape, and then sew down the edges. Going through the machine there is bias tape being feed through the feeder dogs and bias tape approaching the presser foot, and so no way for the tulle to snag.
I made separate channels for draw-strings for the ends, and sewed them on. Here I just made a rectangle about 12.5" x 2", hemmed the edges, and then pinned the tulle edge in between opposing edges of the channel fabric. Sewed it up, got a channel. Tulle did not touch machine.
I put also a pocket on the outside. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Finally, to support the notion of folding and holding the skinned tarp, I put on a couple of small circle rings, sewed to the bias tape edge. To these I attached loops of shock cord, with a toggle for tightening. I placed the rings at a distance of 2" and 10" from one end of the skin.
Here's the tarp skinned. Note the shock cord and loops. The black and yellow cord is the drawstring for the channel, here tightened up some.
Now I disconnect the cord on the end of the tarp shown above, and start folding the skinned tarp in segments of about 1 foot. The place of the shock cords at 2" and 10" from the end make estimating 1 foot pretty easy.
Once it is folded up, the shock cords on the end away from the tree is looped over and tightened up to hold things, while I disconnect the other cord, wind it up, and tuck it away. Then the second shock cord is slipped into place, tightened, and we're done.
The skin with pocket, drawstrings, shockcord, and toggles weighs 2 oz.
Now I'm off to a 4th of July picnic...