Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams
    I like that.

One of life's skills is to learn to know which deadlines really matter and must be met, and which ones just reflect someone trying to impose control on the uncontrollable.

Deadlines involving the federal government usually really matter. That would be the aforementioned demo...

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The main advantage for me is that it is easier to put and and take down a tarp in wind, using a skin. Especially these big ones ( the one in my photos is 11' x 10'.) Putting up because the profile is a lot lower with the tarp inside the skin, so you can tie it to the trees and center it without fighting the wind trying to blow it and you through the Lairig Ghru. Taking down because all the rolling into the skin is done while the tarp is still suspended, the trees are like an extra pair of hands, or rather, gives you the full use of both hands to do the folding. You fold/roll the tarp into the skin about a metre at a time, slide the skin over that bit, do it again, etc.
    Even without wind, folding up the tarp using a skin is a little less cumbersome than folding it by hand.

Others like to hang the skinned tarp but not unroll the whole thing, so that if they retire under clear skies and it starts to rain a little, they can pop up and finish the job quickly.

So a tarp skin is clearly a bit of kit that isn't necessary, but it does add functionality with a marginal weight penalty, and so has a loyal following within the hammocking set.

Grizz
    Ah, ha it was as I thought, I'm thick , a dim light glowed when I started to read your explanation.

The way I set mine up is, fit the ridge line first, my Kathmandu is 3m x 2.5m, I have small biners attached to the central loops and they sit at the top of the stuff sack, the 3 biners are attached to the ridge line, I lock off one end with a kinda prussic, then I drop the tarp out the bag and draw it along the ridge line, like a pair of curtains, tie if off at the other end, and adjust to centralise the tarp on the line. Its reversed to fit it back in the stuff sack.

If its really windy, I just feed the tarp out of the bag as I walk it downwind, all my lines are attached, which means I can peg them out with total control.

I've been to the Cairngorms often, skiing (but not recently) and hanggliding, but havent been thru Lairig Ghru, I would think pitons would be required if you wanted to hang tho

Originally Posted by angrysparrow
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams
    I really like that, I may print a large version and stick it above my desk

Regards

Stephen

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Nice, very nice Grizz. I have been thinking about making skins for my tarp and I may have to give your design a shot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    What a great way to go!

I took my hammock to Dolly Sods this weekend and really see the merit in your design. It pretty much rained from when I got there on Thursday night until I left on Sunday. I delayed in putting up my hammock because of blowing winds and rain. Skins would have definitely helped. I'm gonna have to give this design a try. Thanks Grizz.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Grizz, do you have drawstrings at both ends of skin and what's the pocket used for? Also, what width bias tape did you use?

HC

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Grizz, do you have drawstrings at both ends of skin and what's the pocket used for? Also, what width bias tape did you use?

HC
    yep, drawstrings at both ends. Keeps the tarp from flopping out, because it wants to.

My idea with the pocket was to make a place outside of the skin to put the suspension cord, in case it has sap on it, to keep it away from the tarp. In retrospect it would have been easier to make little bags for these, tie one onto a ridge-line tab, and leave it there to stuff the cord in. It was a pain to put the pocket on the outside of the skin after I'd sewn up the bias tape. Think about it....plan ahead....! Another thought would be to put a pocket in for stakes. I have 2 more of these to make, 'cause we have three hangers at my house heading for the trees this summer. Need some more rain to give me time to make them.

The bias tape is 3/4", item #2301 from questoutfitters.com .

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12