Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Constriction for tarp ridge line adjustments

I have arrived late for the Whoopie Sling party, so I am learning... I got some tech line from Scott at DIYSupply yesterday. (Great vendor!) I made myself an adjustable structural ridge line that I hope to try out over the weekend. I was looking at videos showing tarp ridge lines and was wondering if anyone has tried threading a few inches of whatever brand of hollow core line you use for a tarp suspension onto your ridge line with a loop (locked Brummel?) hanging off the end toward the tree for attachment instead of a Prusik knot? Has anyone tried it? Seems like it would work for centering the tarp as well. I'm sure someone has at least tried this, and it may be common. I am just having a hard time seeing illustrations with that option. Thanks.

not really sure what you are saying, but here is the problem with whoopie type suspension for a tarp. you would need "tree huggers" and you couldnt run a continuous ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockMan View Post
    not really sure what you are saying, but here is the problem with whoopie type suspension for a tarp. you would need "tree huggers" and you couldnt run a continuous ridgeline.
    I was afraid I wasn't clear enough. I just saw a video on youtube by 1377stick where he was using a continuous tarp ridgeline made by Whoopieslings .com. The line was wrapped around the tree and attached with a Knot Bone on one end, and the adjustable end came around the tree and attached to a Prusik knot by a Figure 9. I was just wondering if you couldn't replace that Prusik with a piece of cord threaded on the line forming a constrictor type knot. A sleeve with a loop hanging off for attachment by the same Figure 9 if you will. Make sense?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    No input anyone?

Have not seen the particular video but I think I'm understanding what you want to do.

I have thought about doing something similar with a "UCR" rather than a whoopie. The UCRs do not require as much line but don't constrict as well. For a tarp line that is not supporting your body weight the lack of constriction might not make a difference.

Prusiks are just so much quicker and can be added/removed easily. I've never bothered with anything more fancy.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    It sounds as if you're talking about adding a UCR to a ridgeline. It is certainly possible, my only concern is that tree spacing differs from one set to other, and you would need some seriously long UCRs to make such a thing work, or you may not have enough room for them to adjust properly. Prussics solve this problem because you can slide a prussic knot along the entire length of the ridgeline.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    It sounds as if you're talking about adding a UCR to a ridgeline. It is certainly possible, my only concern is that tree spacing differs from one set to other, and you would need some seriously long UCRs to make such a thing work, or you may not have enough room for them to adjust properly. Prussics solve this problem because you can slide a prussic knot along the entire length of the ridgeline.
    All I am saying is replace the Prussics with this idea. Leave the knot bone, figure 9 or whatever to make the gross adjustments, then use this constrictor idea in place of just that Prussic. It stays in the middle closer to the tarp itself. I hope the illustration helps. Thanks for looking ya'll.

I think he's talking about simply replacing the prusik with a constrictor. There isn't any reason why that wouldn't work. A constrictor might slip a little more easily than a prusik, but there are ways around that. I use UCRs rather than Whoopies for my hammock suspension. Constrictors would take up a little more length on the line than a prusik, so it might increase your minimum hang distance slightly.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    I think he's talking about simply replacing the prusik with a constrictor. There isn't any reason why that wouldn't work. A constrictor might slip a little more easily than a prusik, but there are ways around that. I use UCRs rather than Whoopies for my hammock suspension. Constrictors would take up a little more length on the line than a prusik, so it might increase your minimum hang distance slightly.
    You got it Bootleg! I am talking about just using this idea for tarp ridgelines, not hammock suspension, though. I don't know that I would trust it with a heavier load. I figured if folks are hanging by constrictors, it could surely hold up a tarp! This would be lighter for the gram weenies and it never falls off like a Prussic can if unhooked. Don't you think if the piece was maybe 2-3" long when you milked the bury that it would hold like crazy for that kind of weight?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The problem with using any "constrictor type" implement, be it UCR or whoopie sling, in a scenario where you need tension is they do not tension well (or untension well) when strung tight.

You would not be able to get your ridgeline tight enough and if you were able to, you would be unable to untension it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast