Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    I think he's talking about simply replacing the prusik with a constrictor. There isn't any reason why that wouldn't work. A constrictor might slip a little more easily than a prusik, but there are ways around that. I use UCRs rather than Whoopies for my hammock suspension. Constrictors would take up a little more length on the line than a prusik, so it might increase your minimum hang distance slightly.
    You got it Bootleg! I am talking about just using this idea for tarp ridgelines, not hammock suspension, though. I don't know that I would trust it with a heavier load. I figured if folks are hanging by constrictors, it could surely hold up a tarp! This would be lighter for the gram weenies and it never falls off like a Prussic can if unhooked. Don't you think if the piece was maybe 2-3" long when you milked the bury that it would hold like crazy for that kind of weight?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The problem with using any "constrictor type" implement, be it UCR or whoopie sling, in a scenario where you need tension is they do not tension well (or untension well) when strung tight.

You would not be able to get your ridgeline tight enough and if you were able to, you would be unable to untension it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    The problem with using any "constrictor type" implement, be it UCR or whoopie sling, in a scenario where you need tension is they do not tension well (or untension well) when strung tight.

You would not be able to get your ridgeline tight enough and if you were able to, you would be unable to untension it.
    I haven't used UCRs for tarp suspension so I can't really speak to the difficulties tensioning them or releasing them when tight. You might want to prototype your ideas on something cheap like mason line before committing them to Zing-it or Dyneema.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

That was the point I was trying to make - even if you involve your teeth or a third hand in the affair, it's not going to be very practical.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I didn't know that the constriction type systems don't play well together if the line is always tight. I know with whoopie suspensions they are slack until you get into the hammock, but what I am talking about would be under constant tension. Thanks for the education everyone!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by emjackdad View Post
    I didn't know that the constriction type systems don't play well together if the line is always tight. I know with whoopie suspensions they are slack until you get into the hammock, but what I am talking about would be under constant tension. Thanks for the education everyone!
    Yeah, I asked the same question a year or so ago and got the same education.

(I did go out and try it myself though just to make sure everyone was telling the truth )

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Yeah, I asked the same question a year or so ago and got the same education.

(I did go out and try it myself though just to make sure everyone was telling the truth )
    I was still thinking about that too!

I knew in the back of my mind there had to be a catch because it seemed so obvious to me. I have been using Prussics and 550 cord to hold my good old Wal Mart tarp up. Guess I'll stick to that system with the better line. Now I have to buy more cordage from Scott at DIY!

I think Dyneema is like kudzu. It keeps growing in my kit! I am going to see if the soft shackle I made will dump me on my blessed assurance before I make another one to replace my monster 'biners!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your tarp rides on the ucr's and moves easlily. Once you pull the guylines out, it is tricky to do any adjusting. But that can be said for prussiks or any other type of connection/ridgeline option. You normally gotta slacken up the guylines for rl adjustments.

Center the tarp (like any other rl set-up), then stake it out and your idea works fine.

I'll see what I can do about some pics...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I apologize. Using the UCR as a connection point for the tarp to the RL to position the tarp would work fine.

I thought we were referring to using the UCR or whoopie sling as the device to tension the RL. That's when you'd run into issues.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I was actually thinking they could work in both cases. I didn't know about the problems using the idea under constant tension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast