Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Constriction for tarp ridge line adjustments

I have arrived late for the Whoopie Sling party, so I am learning... I got some tech line from Scott at DIYSupply yesterday. (Great vendor!) I made myself an adjustable structural ridge line that I hope to try out over the weekend. I was looking at videos showing tarp ridge lines and was wondering if anyone has tried threading a few inches of whatever brand of hollow core line you use for a tarp suspension onto your ridge line with a loop (locked Brummel?) hanging off the end toward the tree for attachment instead of a Prusik knot? Has anyone tried it? Seems like it would work for centering the tarp as well. I'm sure someone has at least tried this, and it may be common. I am just having a hard time seeing illustrations with that option. Thanks.

not really sure what you are saying, but here is the problem with whoopie type suspension for a tarp. you would need "tree huggers" and you couldnt run a continuous ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockMan View Post
    not really sure what you are saying, but here is the problem with whoopie type suspension for a tarp. you would need "tree huggers" and you couldnt run a continuous ridgeline.
    I was afraid I wasn't clear enough. I just saw a video on youtube by 1377stick where he was using a continuous tarp ridgeline made by Whoopieslings .com. The line was wrapped around the tree and attached with a Knot Bone on one end, and the adjustable end came around the tree and attached to a Prusik knot by a Figure 9. I was just wondering if you couldn't replace that Prusik with a piece of cord threaded on the line forming a constrictor type knot. A sleeve with a loop hanging off for attachment by the same Figure 9 if you will. Make sense?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    No input anyone?

Have not seen the particular video but I think I'm understanding what you want to do.

I have thought about doing something similar with a "UCR" rather than a whoopie. The UCRs do not require as much line but don't constrict as well. For a tarp line that is not supporting your body weight the lack of constriction might not make a difference.

Prusiks are just so much quicker and can be added/removed easily. I've never bothered with anything more fancy.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    It sounds as if you're talking about adding a UCR to a ridgeline. It is certainly possible, my only concern is that tree spacing differs from one set to other, and you would need some seriously long UCRs to make such a thing work, or you may not have enough room for them to adjust properly. Prussics solve this problem because you can slide a prussic knot along the entire length of the ridgeline.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoot View Post
    Have not seen the particular video but I think I'm understanding what you want to do.

I have thought about doing something similar with a "UCR" rather than a whoopie. The UCRs do not require as much line but don't constrict as well. For a tarp line that is not supporting your body weight the lack of constriction might not make a difference.

Prusiks are just so much quicker and can be added/removed easily. I've never bothered with anything more fancy.
    I am not really talking about using Whoopie slings specifically for this. It is a continuous ridgeline, your ridgeline gets buried in a section of cord that can remain permanently. I have attached a really badly drawn illustration in hopes it explains my idea.

And it is upside down. Great.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 03-22-2012 at 14:43. Reason: Image upside down

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    It sounds as if you're talking about adding a UCR to a ridgeline. It is certainly possible, my only concern is that tree spacing differs from one set to other, and you would need some seriously long UCRs to make such a thing work, or you may not have enough room for them to adjust properly. Prussics solve this problem because you can slide a prussic knot along the entire length of the ridgeline.
    All I am saying is replace the Prussics with this idea. Leave the knot bone, figure 9 or whatever to make the gross adjustments, then use this constrictor idea in place of just that Prussic. It stays in the middle closer to the tarp itself. I hope the illustration helps. Thanks for looking ya'll.

I think he's talking about simply replacing the prusik with a constrictor. There isn't any reason why that wouldn't work. A constrictor might slip a little more easily than a prusik, but there are ways around that. I use UCRs rather than Whoopies for my hammock suspension. Constrictors would take up a little more length on the line than a prusik, so it might increase your minimum hang distance slightly.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You are burying a piece of Zing-It inside the ridgeline for adjustability, correct? If so, you will find that you have the same problem that people have when they try to use whoopie slings to tension/attach their tarp to trees. I tried using whoopies but it didn't work out. And what you are suggesting is essentially a whoopie without an adjustable loop.

The problem you'll encounter is that you need two hands to adjust the whoopie (or your method of bury), but you need a third hand to release tension on the bury so it can be adjusted (by pulling the ridgeline towards the tree). You can try holding the ridgeline with your teeth, but I doubt your dentist would approve.

The prusik (or a prusik with a Figure 9 or Dutch Tarp Flyz) does not require three hands and will work much better. Go ahead and try your method (I tried whoopies even though every post I read said it wouldn't work very well). Sometimes you have to do it yourself to understand why it won't work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast