Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA

Tvyek Wash Help Please

Sooo.... I cut out a 11x7 hex tyvek tarp today. I got some JRB Grip Clips on the way for all the tie outs. But it needs to be washed first... its too stiff and loud as heck right now. Hand crumbling helps alot, but I don't have time to crumble the whole thing by hand.
    Sooo.... for those who wash tyvek, should I use my home top loader machine, or take it to a laundromat and use a big front loader? I can just see the looks on peoples faces when I go cramming this tyvek in the laundromat.

Thanks for any info. I'm pretty pleased with how it has turned out so far. I just dont want to ruin it now.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    It's only Tyvek, and your home top loader is probably like you, strong but gentle. My understanding is that you're trying to tumble it softer by delivering a zillion wrinkles. So, do what you can't do at the laundromat: Fill the tub, set it agitating, and as soon as the cycle ends, go back to the beginning before it drains and let it agitate some more.....and some more..... and some more. You never have to change the water.

Added: Anyway, there is this new generation of High Efficiency (HE) top loaders without an agitator in the middle. I wonder if they demand a relaxation of the stigma.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-23-2012 at 01:21. Reason: homonyms

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    What he said... NO SOAP!

when I did mine, I did it on large, so there'd be lots of room for it to tumble. I also pulled it out (get ready to get wet) and put it back in to ensure it got even wrinkling...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

One more thing to add to what has already been said, use "COLD" water, not hot, not warm, but "Cold"!

Many (well only a couple) failed experiments happened until I learned this funny fact!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Sooo.... Does anyone have an actual experience with Tyvek in a home top loader? Or is a front loader better?

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    I washed mine at home. Top loader. Cold water. No soap. Worked like a charm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Size!?

I've washed Tyvek at home in top loader - but NOT an 11' x 7' sheet! (at most a small tent footprint/ground cloth size - less than half of yours)...
    I suggest first 'stuffing' it into your washer just to see if & how it will fit - it should have enough room to move around slightly in the washer while being agitated...
    Personally, I would probably go to a laundromat if I were doing your 11' x 7'...

I agree with the previously mentioned repeating wash cycles - untwisting/manipulating/turning/reorganizing it - and only using cold water and no soap - the last 2 not from personal experience, only by listening to others horror stories! BTW, I love the tag line from another HF member (can't recall whom at the moment) - "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Thanks for the input,
    I think I'm just going to let it break in naturally with repeated use. I imagine a few setups and take down will wrinkle it up just fine. I'm very leary of using my washing machine.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I washed one the size of a tent footprint in my top loader. Worked great. I would put your bigger size in and give it a try. 11 x 7. Isn't that the size of a small blanket? Top loader designed to handle that. Heck a load of towels is heavier and bulkier than that tyvek. IMHO.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

You could always hand wash it! Use a large trash can n fill'er up with cold water, dunk 'n' wring, dunk 'n' wring! Do this till its soft enough for ya, then hang to dry!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast