Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hello from Maine

Hey everyone,

I'm just taking a second to let you know that Janette (Mokay) and I have made it through the wilderness. She is having some knee problems that have forced us to remain in Monson longer than expected but should be fine. We have agreed that I'm leaving tomorrow with or without her and continuing south. We have been using my Speer Winter Tarp as rain protection with Mokay's tent door under the side edge. This gives us plenty of room to cook at night out of the weather. It has rained all but one day and we have become the envy of all who see us. We call it the condo. We are doing well and our spirits are high. I miss you guys and hope to talk at you again soon. Take Care all.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    T-back,

Glad that you are well .... hope her knee heels quickly.... Happy Hiking and Hanging.... H3.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Have a great hike.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good to hear from you Brian. I hope her knee will heal, but glad to hear that you're knees (& feet) are doing good.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Brian, good to hear from you. Hope Mokay gets her knee pain under control, those nagging injures on a long distance hike can be worrisome. You don't always know for sure whether to just slow down a little, take a short break, take a long one, or just go home... and the decision usually has some consequences to them because of 'windows of opportunities' and 'possible lasting damages'.

Did you get my voice mail about your errant text message?
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    That's awesome buddy. I remember the rain up there foundly. I think it rained more days than it didn't in Maine and almost part or all of everyday I was in the wilderness.

If it helps I had a lot of knee pain starting out that died down. No way this Ohioian's knees were ready for what Maine had to throw at them.

Let me know if you guys need anything or have any southbound questions. You should stop having to put up with the northbounder somewhere in VT. Everyone was talking about services being closed for southbounders, but I really didn't notice anything until the south. Looking at the calender I started 6 days from now last year. Kind of crazy to think that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys! We have just wandered into Caratunk and are at Northern Outfitters for the night. We are staying in one of the "cabin tents" and have enjoyed hot showers to take the edge off of the bug bites. We had a resupply dropped here and will be catching the ferry to cross the Kennebec River in the AM. Glad to here from you all. My last post was from my phone. Usually that means I've taken a few minutes on a summit somewhere to burst out some data and can't stick around for replies. Hopefully I will be in touch when we reach Stratton. Oh, Youngblood, yes I got your message . Sorry!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    When you are staying at the Stratton hostel, ask the owner about her hiking/mountain biking/snow shoeing. Really nice woman, funny stories.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

"the wilderness"

T-Back, glad to hear you made it out of the wilderness and across "the river"!
    Sorry to hear of your hiking pals knee issues. Good luck on the rest of your hike sobo....

Images

Update from Glencliff

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update as we pass through Glencliff. Mokay and I are doing OK. Not wonderful, but OK. I now have some knee problems after taking several really nasty falls, Some type of trauma induced cyst (Baker's cyst maybe) has formed on the back of my right knee which bothers me from time to time. Also my new Trail name is "Chill" after Mokay found me lying in a muddy water runoff near one of the peaks here, pack expolded around me and stripped down to my shorts in an advanced state of hypothermia and yes, it was still "summer" here. Several people had passed by not even noticing me tucked in under the small trees. I was nearly asleep when she was somehow prompted to look back as she walked by and spotted me. She kept me awake and got me dressed and wrapped up in my bag while fixing hot chocolate to warm me up. She literally kept me from dying. Afterwards I had the worst hangover of my life which lasted almost three days. She said I was walking like I was drunk all the way to the next shelter that night. I'm not sure but I thought I heard her singing "What Can You Do With A Drunker Hiker" very softly in the background . I'm glad to still be here and we are enjoying our very rich, if not slow, walk to Georgia. Today we wave goodbye to the White's and the beautiful things they have shown us as we push off for Hanover. Hope you all are doing well.

Chill

P.S. There is a Young Blood on the trail heading North.
    Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast