Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    What were the temps last night? Looks like a nice setup you have there.
    Temps were in the low 50's-high 40's Tobit.

Ok, I just read this whole stinking thread.
    Riverfever, this site rocks. They helped me last year when I was trying to get all of this figured out. I sent Mike Brown over here before his tour of the CTR. I'll see you at the starting line, homemade hammock in hand. I'm the guy from Texas. Name is Travis.
    I'll actually be using a homemade single layer hammock with a small headnet/bugnet laying on top of a 3/4 thermarest prolite 3. My legs will be propped on top of my pack. I also carry to CCF "wings" for my shoulders. One of the wings is the CCF that Jeff at Carousel includes in his handlebar bag. The other is a cut up walmart pad. My hammock is narrow enough to where it doesn't really slide under me. I spent 3 weeks in France bike touring and learned how to sleep in the hammock. Money was for sure an issue with me and so I tried to use everything I had. I learned to sew and that helped a ton. I'll be purchasing an U.Q. eventually but it just wasn't in the budget. Right now I am using my old tried and true REI sub-kilo down bag. I actually zip up in it but I prefer it that way.
    That's the great thing about hammocks, they are so versatile and no one way is the best.
    Anyway, yeah, this site rocks.

I'll be seeing you at the pre-race meeting Travis.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Are you going to blog about what a good night's sleep you were finally able to get in your hammock?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Yes...either right before I go or after I get back. There are some things that I've kept quiet about.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like you've done a ton of training and you're ready to go. Good luck with the last minute preparations. I hope you'll post here as well when you get back, to let us know how it went.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

I just hope it's enough. I will definitely post back here when I get home and share the experience and pics.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfever View Post
    Excellent points sparrow. However, in order to do that the tarp would need to be on its line correct? I'd hang that first and go about hanging the hammock separately? I haven't set mine up like that yet but am going to so that I can use the snake skins on the tarp only.

Initial impressions of the UQ are good. When in the stuff sack provided by JRB, it's pretty big (16x8ish). I put it in an extra small compression sack and I got it down to about 9x5ish. It could actually go much smaller but I ran out of strap on the compression sack. I am able to fit the hammock, sleeping bag and UQ in my front handlebar bag though and that I like lots. I'll post pics later.

Was going to sleep in it tonight but I might wait until tomorrow.
    Riverfever,

Been away from the computer for a week on vacation.... so a delayed comment...

That JRB compressioin sack with a Shenandoah will compress and roll down to 6x6x4.... The strap goes around the bottom and back to the D rings , not just across to the D rings like a canoe bag closure.

Good luck on your ride.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Well I'm back. I wont go into too many details here. It was unbelievable. Check out my impromptu write up on my site. I still need to upload my pics and video.

Hammock worked out well but I think I am going to go a different route. It and the snake skins and JRB UQ are up for sale in that forum. Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you all know when I get the pics up.

-Chris

Images
    Welcome back! Hope it went well for you...

Quote Originally Posted by riverfever View Post
    Hammock worked out well but I think I am going to go a different route.
    Would you care to elaborate on what brought you that decision?

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast