Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Sure...I had way too much gear with me and my setup was bigger than I wanted it to be. I needed the UQ to be warm but there were some nights where it got well below 45 when I slept above 11,000'. On those nights, it just turned out that I rode until 11:00 or so and was just so exhausted that I just crawled into my bag and slept like a rock. I found I had to carry way more food than I thought and I could just use a smaller setup. It's really a comfy setup but yesterday I slept propped up against a brick wall.

A solo tent will allow me to free up just a bit more space and get a bit more off my back and make hike a bike sections a tad easier.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfever View Post
    Well I'm back. I wont go into too many details here. It was unbelievable. Check out my impromptu write up on my site. I still need to upload my pics and video.

Hammock worked out well but I think I am going to go a different route. It and the snake skins and JRB UQ are up for sale in that forum. Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you all know when I get the pics up.

-Chris
    read the write up. You sure had an intense experience. I've run in marathons. Sounds like you did the physical equivalent of two or three in a day, day after day.

About all I could handle at the end of one your days would be to throw down a pad, get on, and pull a quilt over me. No thought involved.

Good luck on next year's ride.

Thanks for sharing.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice report! Beautiful place!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Well I'm back. I wont go into too many details here. It was unbelievable. Check out my impromptu write up on my site. I still need to upload my pics and video.

Hammock worked out well but I think I am going to go a different route. It and the snake skins and JRB UQ are up for sale in that forum. Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you all know when I get the pics up.

-Chris
    Chris,

Just got done catching-up on your ride report. Amazing. As an MTB enthusiast, I'm blown-away by your ride. I hadn't read your site too closely previously due to time constraints, but now wished I had looked more closely earlier.

You metion that you won't seek the same support next year. From your blog:

I WILL do this again next year. I don't think I'll raise money for the LAF b/c it would be selfish to ask for you all to become involved again. However, your support will easily carry over from this year.
    Know this, if you elect to punish yourself again next year, I'm in for some financial support. Great job man!

Sorry the hammock wasn't the ultimate answer for you.

Peace

Buck

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatibuck View Post
    Chris,

Just got done catching-up on your ride report. Amazing. As an MTB enthusiast, I'm blown-away by your ride. I hadn't read your site too closely previously due to time constraints, but now wished I had looked more closely earlier.

You metion that you won't seek the same support next year. From your blog:

Know this, if you elect to punish yourself again next year, I'm in for some financial support. Great job man!

Sorry the hammock wasn't the ultimate answer for you.

Peace

Buck
    Thanks a lot Buck. I live in such a small town so it was really hard to raise money outside of family and friends. I didn't mean to sound opposed to raising money for the LAF or any charity for that matter. I just wouldn't feel right emailing all the same family/friends and asking them to donate money again. I wish there had been a way for me to get the word out there more but I just didn't know how to do it.

-Chris

Hey Chris, it's Travis. Wish I had made it further as well. Train all year as hard as I did, never having any knee issues, and then BAM, second day both my knees pretty much crap out on me. I love the hammock, but I'm with you, I will be going with something smaller and lighter next year. As well as a geared bike! I'm thinking a bivy/bag combo. I LOVE the hammock for my overnighter trips and extended bicycle touring (panniers) but for the CTR I'm going to get a frame bag to take more off of my back and put more on the bike.

Do you have any trips planned? I'm going up to Arkansas in October for 4 days of bikepacking. Should be a good time.

Hopefully I will get my hub rebuild kit today so I can get that fixed. No bikepacking trips planned. I start grad school again in a few weeks and go back to work next week. Even though I know that'll keep me busy, I'm also doing a 4 day stage race in St. Louis over Labor Day weekend and then a 12 hour race in early October in St. Louis.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Thanks a lot Buck. I live in such a small town so it was really hard to raise money outside of family and friends. I didn't mean to sound opposed to raising money for the LAF or any charity for that matter. I just wouldn't feel right emailing all the same family/friends and asking them to donate money again. I wish there had been a way for me to get the word out there more but I just didn't know how to do it.

-Chris
    I respect your position. But knowing that most people will be affected by cancer in one way or another, and that it's not your having finished, but your effort to do so that counts, I would be suprised if anyone begrudged you a donation! Love or hate Lance, his foundation is worthwhile. But that's just my (not so?) humble opinion. Hmmm . . . wonder if Lance has ever tried hammock camping?

Anyhow, I'll PM you with my e-mail and want you to feel free to contact me when fund raising time rolls around again

b

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678