Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I was on a group hike into the Daks and we hung our food bag as we should have. This was before the bear cannister ruling so it is ancient history. We had a fisher climb out on the bag ropes and chew through the bag. One of the leaders saw the critter on the bag and chased it away before too much damage was done. I use an Ursack now but they are not small rodent proof. Some little small critter chews on my ursack I will have rodent stew if I catch the thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I, too, use a Ursack but don't keep it at the hammock. I either tie it into a tree (something it's made to do easily) or put it in the rafter of a lean-to if there is no evidence of critters in the lean-to. Although the Ursack is heavy, it weighs a lot less than the bear canister and it can't be munched through by small animals. Just remember to pull the closure tight enough that a mouse can not squeeze through.

I have also hung a nylon bag by the method that leaves no rope touching the ground or the tree below the branch suspending the bag (is this the "PCT method"?) and found the bag and a bagel chewed into the next morning. Obviously something small came down the rope about five feet to feast.

I try to keep food odors off my pack and to hang the pack is possible at night. Haven't had a problem with the pack yet and dread the day I wake to find a hole chewed in it. I should also mention that I often have my dog with me and he gets up at times throughout the night. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't really know if leaving the pockets unzipped stops critters from chewing through the pack, but I routinely di it and I've never had a hole chewed. I was the only pack that did not get raided in a particular shelter in the Whites. Don't remember which one. I had my stinky nasty horribly reeking nylon socks draped over the pack. Nothing touched it. Even the folks who hung their packs on the lines with the tuna cans got raided. Not me. Go figure. I knew my socks were bad but not that good.

JayS on their website Ursack does caution that small rodents CAN chew through the fibers for the Ursack. There is a mesh "ratsack" or something like lhat which is supposed to be rodent proof.

http://armoredoutdoorgear.com/ratsack.htm
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Yes & yes.
    For a while now I have just kept my food in a Ursa sack in the storage area of my hammock rather than hanging it.

I think this is referred to as "Natural Selection." ROFLMAO!

I use a Backpacker Bear canister. We have bears up in northern New Jersey. I figure it keeps just about everything out so I use it all the time. Yeah, it's cumbersome but it's not too bad.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Do many of you hang your food in non-bear areas just to keep mice & raccoons out? Is it common for the lesser creatures to make successful raids on your food?
    The coons, those things are brutal. We have a camping trip every memorial weekend at the pinery in canada and the are relentless. Day or night is doesnt seem to matter as long as there is food out.

One time my gfs best friend was making a sandwhich and a coon came in from behind and grabbed the loaf of bread less that 6 in away. They are fearless at the pinery.

But that is also at a huge campground with tons of ppl and lots of food. Not in the backcountry. However, my experience is never be to careful.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    How are those adwalla bars?

Pan
    Pan,

The critters can have ALL the adwall bars they want!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    JayS on their website Ursack does caution that small rodents CAN chew through the fibers for the Ursack. There is a mesh "ratsack" or something like lhat which is supposed to be rodent proof.

http://armoredoutdoorgear.com/ratsack.htm
    You are right - good catch. I was going on memory that nothing nnibbled through the Ursack the night something ate the bagels in a suspended nylon bag. Might have to get one of the rodent proof bags but hopefully not.

In Yosemite, one big problem is the squirrels - they are persistent... and fat!

As for leaving the pack open, I think it depends on what else is available close by and whether there are food odors, or rubbed in food, on the pack. One reason I think this is that this past weekend, while packing for a couple night trip in the Adirondacks, we discovered we had a mouse in the house. One thing he did was chew two holes through a pack towel. It was folded loosely on a shelf and I think had been washed since last use (but maybe not...). Anyway, he didn't appear to be chewing through to get at something, just chewing because of something on the towel. Who knows?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been putting my food in those tall peanut butter jars you get at Costco to keep out the raccoons and other little critters. Usually carry one, sometimes 2 if one of my daughters is with me. I've gotten pretty good a packing them FULL.

I'm sure it wouldn't stop the bigger critters though. I hang my food too so that I won't worry about it. I'm pretty careful about food crumbs and food odors.

The peanut butter jars also double somewhat as a cozy if your doing the freezer bag cooking (although they do melt if you're not careful).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I, too, use a Ursack but don't keep it at the hammock.
    ...but then i'd have to get out of bed to make mocha in the morn
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast