Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Dutch Buckle vs. Whoopie Hooks

I just bought my 1st hammock (Grand Trunk UL - it's cheap and light) and need a system to hang it. Went to Gander Mountain today and spent $20 on some ENO Slap Straps. They came in a nice sack but are 12 oz. They seemed to bulky/heavy to me so I returned 'em - same day. I was wondering what I'd do next to figure this out and tapped into the power of Google, which led me to this forum.

I'm trying to get educated in effective hammock use and have been checking out Dutch's offerings. I understand how his Dutch Buckle and Whoopie Hook systems both work, but I don't see the advantage one has over the other. They are similarly priced and lightweight, so does anyone have any advice???

Thanks in advance!

Jason
    the n00b

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome!

The Dutch buckle allows detachable connection between the whoopie slings and the webbing. The Dutch hook allows a detachable connection between the whoopie sling and the continuous loop on the hammock. Both of these can be used in the same suspension system. For example:

Hammock end--->continuous loop--->Dutch hook--->whoopie sling--->Dutch buckle--->webbing

People like having these detachments for different reasons. Some like having their suspension completely separate from their hammock so they have the continuous loop on the hammock end. Personally it gives me the option to switch up suspensions. Not that is it necessary but many here like to fiddle and experiment.

Some only want their webbing separate to avoid getting sap on their hammocks when packed up so they forgo the continuous loop and connect the whoopie slings directly to the hammock.

Others have all in one systems where everything is all attached for simplicity and to avoid leaving any part of their suspension behind while packing up (it happens)

Ultimately, there are many ways to do things. Check out the sticky threads in the suspension forum especially Grizz's 3 part video series.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hello and welcome!

The Dutch buckle allows detachable connection between the whoopie slings and the webbing. The Dutch hook allows a detachable connection between the whoopie sling and the continuous loop on the hammock. Both of these can be used in the same suspension system. For example:

Hammock end--->continuous loop--->Dutch hook--->whoopie sling--->Dutch buckle--->webbing

People like having these detachments for different reasons. Some like having their suspension completely separate from their hammock so they have the continuous loop on the hammock end. Personally it gives me the option to switch up suspensions. Not that is it necessary but many here like to fiddle and experiment.

Some only want their webbing separate to avoid getting sap on their hammocks when packed up so they forgo the continuous loop and connect the whoopie slings directly to the hammock.

Others have all in one systems where everything is all attached for simplicity and to avoid leaving any part of their suspension behind while packing up (it happens)

Ultimately, there are many ways to do things. Check out the sticky threads in the suspension forum especially Grizz's 3 part video series.

Solid breakdown Bubba!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The ENO Slap straps have a habit of streaching so be prepared to end up on the ground if you are using them. Look for polyester straps
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hello and welcome!

Very nice explanation. Well done.

As Bubba said, Grizz's video speak well of the suspension options available out there.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Solid breakdown Bubba!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    Very nice explanation. Well done.

As Bubba said, Grizz's video speak well of the suspension options available out there.
    Hey thanks!

To the OP, its good you returned the Slap Straps because they stretch. Also forgot to mention that having the detachable suspension allows you to use the same suspension on different hammocks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like them both. Hooks are lighter and buckles are more adjustable. So it depends on what is more important to you.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I was glad to return the ENO straps since they cost as much as my $20 hammock. Now I'll probably end up spending 2x that amount, unless I try to make some of the stuff on my own -- not usually my thing!

I got the inexpensive hammock as a backup option for when AT shelters are full, but based on the excitement here I might be using it all the time!

I'll be sure to check out the mentioned videos, too.

Thanks again!

Jason

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    It also can be nice to have the option to remove the whoopie slings entirely if the span between your trees requires using only your straps and continuous loop on the hammock.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have them both. I love Dutch Buckles, but I'll tell you, Whoopie Hooks are the bomb! Fast, light, easy, and built-in drip protection to keep you dry in the rain. You can't go wrong with either one, but I recommend the hooks.

Peace,
    David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast