Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Here is a way that you don't have to keep track of the strap. This is may all in one version, You have the components but the whoopie have to go through the hugger's loop along with the hook.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WThT...bzdfyLAS9lo-o=
    I really like this method, but keep it on the down low. I don't want to have to change everybodies around for them. This way the whoopie hook acts like a Dutch Clip that works with amsteel.
    Very nice. Simple solution when you're attempting to hang in an area of trees that are not the "perfect size" or "perfect location".

You continue to amaze this community with your ingenuity!

.....and of course....you are very easy on the eyes....
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    Nice idea!

No need to change everyone's suspension. Take a small chain, feed one side through the hole (a small 16 gauge wire or less) making a small loop. Larks head the whoopie hook onto the chain. Then larks head the chain onto the other loop of the whoopie. Basically the only difference is the hook is on the chain. This also lets one use the original whoopie hook that Dutch spliced into the whoopie. Or do it the way in the video and larks head the hook into the fixed end of the whoopie.

BTW- Putting the little Dutch hooks on chains as well as the Whoopie Hooks makes them easier to find when dropped and also has a ton of versatility. I use bright yellow chains!

Hooks on chains. Awesome versatility. Of course, the chain with a Lark's head is not as good as a chain with a whoopie hook nicely spiced into it. I can't wait to order a bunch of those! [you don't really need to sleep do you, Dutch]??

Great videos...keep em coming!

Many thanks!!
    Some photos for making the Universal Dutch Clip using Whoopie Hooks. This method keeps the connection near the tree. Again it would be better to have the hooks spliced into the chains rather than girth hitched onto the chain. I also have found that the UDC is not as easy to use as the Dutch Clip and if I am using my 1" straps, I'd probably stick with the Dutch Clip.

Note that it also works with the strap by clipping it to itself:

Or just used as a loop:

Of note: What this also means is a spare whoopie sling with a dutch whoopie hook can also serve as a tree hugger extension that is adjustable. Just larks head the fixed end of the whoopie to the tree hugger, wrap around the tree, and then clip to the whoopie that is attached to the other end.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Here is a way that you don't have to keep track of the strap. This is may all in one version, You have the components but the whoopie have to go through the hugger's loop along with the hook.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WThT...bzdfyLAS9lo-o=
    I really like this method, but keep it on the down low. I don't want to have to change everybodies around for them. This way the whoopie hook acts like a Dutch Clip that works with amsteel.
    I've been pondering this since I saw it last week. Seems like a great idea for varying tree sizes, but I was wondering what impact this has on the adjustment of the whoopies?

Of course the whoopies can still be lengthened and shortened.. what I'm referring to is when the whoopie is adjusted in either direction, the excess/slack amsteel needs to travel through the webbing loop, and if used w/ a large diameter tree, against the tree bark as well. Seems that this would add friction and possible undue wear on the amsteel, as well as needing more care to ensure tension was properly redistributed after an adjustment was made.

I could be missing something here. For example I'll admit that the notion of sewing or even placing the adjustable loop of the whoopie into the hugger loop doesn't make much sense to me, but I know people do it. SnoreMachine's pictorial makes perfect sense on the other hand, and is probably what I'll adopt on my new rigging.

On an unrelated note, any ETA on the utility/hanging hooks? Would love to be able to have one included on an upcoming order, just not sure how long I'd have to wait.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    I've been pondering this since I saw it last week. Seems like a great idea for varying tree sizes, but I was wondering what impact this has on the adjustment of the whoopies?

Of course the whoopies can still be lengthened and shortened.. what I'm referring to is when the whoopie is adjusted in either direction, the excess/slack amsteel needs to travel through the webbing loop, and if used w/ a large diameter tree, against the tree bark as well. Seems that this would add friction and possible undue wear on the amsteel, as well as needing more care to ensure tension was properly redistributed after an adjustment was made.

I could be missing something here. For example I'll admit that the notion of sewing or even placing the adjustable loop of the whoopie into the hugger loop doesn't make much sense to me, but I know people do it. SnoreMachine's pictorial makes perfect sense on the other hand, and is probably what I'll adopt on my new rigging.

On an unrelated note, any ETA on the utility/hanging hooks? Would love to be able to have one included on an upcoming order, just not sure how long I'd have to wait.
    Since tha hammock isn't loaded there really isn't any problem adjusting the whoopie. Is it easier if it isn't rubbing the tree, yes, but it isn't so much resistance it is bothersome.

I am revamping my site and adding the new products is part of that. Hopefully early next week it will be done. Until then if you would like the utility hook just email me and I will add one to your order.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Yeah, that makes sense I guess. Will have to give it a try someday.

Re: utility hook, that's super news! Sent you an email via your webpage. Thanks so much for offering..
    Last edited by mrcheviot; 04-04-2012 at 00:16. Reason: it's late and bad is my grammar.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dutch sent me a couple of Whoopie hooks spliced into chains. They work much better than the larks headed ones. On the larks headed version, the hook wasn't allowed to freely move on the chain. This makes judging how far to pull the strap around the tree a little more challenging. More troubling, the larks-head would sometimes get in the way of the hook's opening. It is important to make sure that the larks head was fully seated on the bottom of the hook. With the spliced version, there is no problem in this respect. Also, the spliced version is easier to use in terms of not using the hook... it is just a loop for passing the Whoopie through.

On another note, I was a bit concerned about the inability of either version not being able to slide over the part of the Whoopie that has a bury. I had no problem this weekend. It would just slide to the bury and stop.

Below is a pic showing the larks-headed version and the spliced version. The first is a hook larks headed and properly seated, the second is a hook larks headed and not properly seated, the third is spliced and against a bury, and the fourth is spliced.

Close up of the improperly seated larks-headed version:

Last edited by Z0rst; 04-08-2012 at 19:13. Reason: For Clarity, As per AngrySparrow remarks below. Change image to one with proper rotation.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    what I am affectionately calling universal Dutch clips, or UDCs
    I posted this in the other thread as well, but there are already 'dutch clips' made. Calling these that will be nothing but confusing.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I posted this in the other thread as well, but there are already 'dutch clips' made. Calling these that will be nothing but confusing.
    Changed where I could. Couldn't see where I could edit and change in the earlier post (#22). Feel free to fix/delete if you want to. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Z0rst; 04-08-2012 at 19:16. Reason: clarity

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123