XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

ARL slipping?

Made two ARL's for two DIY hammocks this weekend with the help of Bubba, gmcttr and others here, I'm mostly done. I do have a couple of questions thoough.

How will I keep the adjustable end from slipping when there is no load and still be able to adjust it?

Also when I find the "perfect" length how should I lock it in place? Stitch it and bury the tag end?
    Thanks all, David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Shouldnt slip. Once you put your weight on it , mine locked in. The adjustment process is just by picking it out of it place wedged under the whoopie sling and the gathered end, make your adjustment the dress it accordingly by centering the slack or helping it around the whoopie. **an Idea: figure 83% of your hammock length. Mark it blue ( or whatever) then mark 3 marks in one inch intervals up and down from that point in an opposing color then you can have some reference. Remember to "milk ya bury" as shug says. Remember to hng your head lower and strive for 30° angles have a lil bend in the ridgeline when your laying in it. Once you get your sweet spot you can whip up the slack outta the way or make a one or two piece permenant ridgeline....(hope that made sense.)

Edit* is your slipping? If so it could be the burry needs milked or is not long enough perhaps. Test it ..hook it to something stable and pull on the non adjustable end....careful you may end up on your rear. Lol

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Are you just using a long Whoopie sling ? That's what mine is. I used a larkshead for both ends. When ever I want to adjust it I just loosen the larkshead on the adjustable end of the Whoopie. The Whoopie it self holds everything tight.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Here's what I did if it makes sense.

Made a gathered end DIY hammock, Whoopie slings and a ARL. I put a locked brummel fixed eye on one end of the ARL and a adjustable loop on the other end. I attached the ARL just like just like on a WBBB. In other words the ARL passes through the gatherd end, then the Whoopie passes through the loop in the ARL.

I have never had an ARL so I don't know what to expect or really even how is best to use it, I was just going to experiment I guess. I just wondered if the adjustable end would slip if I didn't have it loaded.
    David

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    ...I just wondered if the adjustable end would slip if I didn't have it loaded.
    David
    If you accidently pull on the loose end while the hammock is not hanging, it could shorten it.

With the hammock hanging, it is not likely to slip without you intentionally releasing the constrictor . Don't over think this before you have tried it.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you accidental pull on the loose end while the hammock is not hanging, it could shorten it.

With the hammock hanging, it is not likely to slip without you intentionally releasing the constrictor . Don't over think this before you have tried it.
    Ok my friend, I sincerely appreciate all your help!
    You are probably right. I guess because this is all new to me, I don't want to screw up.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 03-25-2012 at 21:29.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Once you get the ridgeline the length you want it, give it a good tug. Once the adjustable bury get loaded, it stays put pretty well even when packing and unpacking the hammock. The same goes for your whoopies. You'll find you'll need to release the constriction with two hands. The incidental movements of packing and unpacking shouldn't cause the adjustable loop to move. Even if it did, the portion of the loop going through the whipping and around the whoopie sling will have been tightly formed and will stay put. If somehow the adjustable portion moved, your preferred length will remain and all you'll have to do is reposition the adjustable portion.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Once you get the ridgeline the length you want it, give it a good tug. Once the adjustable bury get loaded, it stays put pretty well even when packing and unpacking the hammock. The same goes for your whoopies. You'll find you'll need to release the constriction with two hands. The incidental movements of packing and unpacking shouldn't cause the adjustable loop to move. Even if it did, the portion of the loop going through the whipping and around the whoopie sling will have been tightly formed and will stay put. If somehow the adjustable portion moved, your preferred length will remain and all you'll have to do is reposition the adjustable portion.
    Thanks very much Bubba, I appreciate your input. That makes sense.

Can you or anyone else also give me some input on adjustment? It makes sense to me that if you shorten the RL it puts more "bow" in the hammock and if you lengthen it this allows for less "bow" right? If this is correct what do these adjustment do? Allow for a flatter lay?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    SC Dave,
    I think you got it right when you said you should just experiment, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Bubba and 2Tall both gave you a lot of good stuff to think about. When you're trying different ARL lengths, use very small changes. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    This is where personal preference comes into play and things like your height and build affects your comfort. You are correct in that shortening the RL give you more sag and lengthening it gives less sag. Its really as simple as trial and error. Many start with a SRL of around 83% of the hammock length and then shorten and lengthen to where everything feels good. For me, generally more sag give me more comfort. Once the RL is set it gives you a consistent sag regardless of the angle of your suspension. As long as there is a little tension in the RL when you are in it, you know the sag is where you like it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast