Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Gotta say, Neo convinced me on the Claytor JH. I love it. My wife and I spent three nights in northern michigan in ours and slept so well she will never go back to a tent. I believe the extra length of the JH combined with the other features make it a real value. I did alter the straps using cinch buckles, biners, and different webbing.

I am absolutely convinced of the comfort however. We have had only 2 nights in our waterbed since Memorial Day. The rest have been in our Claytors on our front porch, or in the woods.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    with your stats, either would be a fine choice. I own an HH and love the comfort of the asym and its complete system with no removable parts other than the fly. Bottom entry has a learning curve vs. the Claytor. I just got the Hex fly from another member and love its size and quality construction.

I'm sure Neo will jump on and tell about the benefits of the Claytor

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My wife, myself and two of my friends have Claytor JHs and love them!

I agree....Tom should change the name of his site. We all refer to them simply as "Claytors".

Miguel

Ok I'm convinced on the JH from Claytor. I need to peruse the Claytor forum, but what's this I see about everyone immediately swapping out all the suspension stuff? Tom ships these with bad ropes?

For the complete hammock newbie, can anyone tell me exactly what to get? My local REI has all sorts of climbing stuff, so I can pick up rope and rings and whatnot.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noshtero View Post
    Ok I'm convinced on the JH from Claytor. I need to peruse the Claytor forum, but what's this I see about everyone immediately swapping out all the suspension stuff? Tom ships these with bad ropes?

For the complete hammock newbie, can anyone tell me exactly what to get? My local REI has all sorts of climbing stuff, so I can pick up rope and rings and whatnot.
    It's not that the ropes(actually straps) are bad....it's just that we are all too lazy to tie/retie knots and we all want the quickest, easiest, coolest, slickest rigging system on the planet! Using cinch buckles or rings with polyester webbing does make it much more convenient when hanging the hammock and making minor adjustments once it's hung. Figure nines or some other doodads for the tarp also make life more simple.

I initially used the original straps with knots and they worked just fine. I now use a carabiner on the end of my strap for attachment to the tree and a cinch buckle for adjusting the length of the strap and setting the amount of hang. It's all very simple, quick and effective....just the way I like it. You can check out the gallery for various examples. The straps and buckles aren't too expensive and in my opinion are well worth it.

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy your Claytor or whatever hammock you choose.

Many here buy polyester straps from www.strapworks.com I can't recall where the cinch buckles or rings were bought.

Hang on, Miguel

Hammock
    Still looking
    Tarp
    Need hammock first
    Insulation
    Self-Infla. pad

Wink Look at this one also......

I;m looking at a Jacks Are Better Bridge Hammock. So take at look at all of the before you buy

Go to a "hang" and try before you buy
    Billyboy, Member "AT" Thru-hiker Class of 2013

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

you will be glad you got the claytor jungle hammock,they are the best of the bestneo
    the matrix has you

Ok, my Jungle Hammock is on the way.

If I read correctly, to make this quick and easy to hang I need a pair of 2' poly straps with 1" loops on each end to run through the hammock, and biners to hook the loops together. I then need a pair of 12' poly straps with 3" loops to go around the trees. Then what do I use to hook the 12' straps to the hammock? Do I go directly to the short strap biner and then cinch the 12'ers up to adjust hang? Or do I set the 12'ers, and then use a length of climbing rope to go between them and the short strap biners?

Actually, it would be awesome if someone could just lay me out the complete kit of what I need.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Ok, my Jungle Hammock is on the way.

If I read correctly, to make this quick and easy to hang I need a pair of 2' poly straps with 1" loops on each end to run through the hammock, and biners to hook the loops together. I then need a pair of 12' poly straps with 3" loops to go around the trees. Then what do I use to hook the 12' straps to the hammock? Do I go directly to the short strap biner and then cinch the 12'ers up to adjust hang? Or do I set the 12'ers, and then use a length of climbing rope to go between them and the short strap biners?

Actually, it would be awesome if someone could just lay me out the complete kit of what I need.

Thanks!

i have the ring buckle system on mine,and i made spreadr bars out of arrow shaftsneo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    I;m looking at a Jacks Are Better Bridge Hammock. So take at look at all of the before you buy

Go to a "hang" and try before you buy
    Best advise I've heard so far.......I sold my Claytor....did not like it. My JRB bridge rocks.
    Moot point......he bought the Claytor. Happy hanging to you.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast