Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS

Short or long UQ (with no pad at 45F+, usually 50F)?

Hello,

I'm new to hammocks and planning to buy Hennessy Hyperlight. I'm planning to stay in it at summer nights when temperature might go down to 40F (but usually 55F), also it can be rainy and wet for few days. More important that for some reason I will not take any pad with me, so I will rely only on UQ+TQ (I will have my clothes too to use it for insulation if needed :-)).

I'm pretty sure with TQ (JRB Sierra Stealth), but can't choose between Mt. Washington 3 (77") and Greylock 3 (3/4, 52") as my UQ.

Can you help me with that? :-)
    1. Is overlapping between footbox (what is it length, btw? 30 inches?) and end of Greylock enough to save warmth? Or anyway is it better to take Mt. Washington 3 and do not worry?
    2. Is this set of two quilts enough?

And two more questions:
    1. If I'll stay under small rainfly (like Hyperlite Rainfly), should I think about water protected UQ?
    2. Now I'm looking only for JRB quilts, but maybe I missing something?
    Last edited by Roma; 03-27-2012 at 05:28.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    I guess You must go with full UQ if You want to ose it withoun any additional pads.
    I do not have first hand experience at this time but as of reading HF and The ultimate hang, I understood those ideas.
    Welcome To the HF! I think that You are first hanger in HF from Russia and You can check this thread, that's the same as I from Latvia at this time only one hanger.
    Last edited by J.Andersons; 03-25-2012 at 16:44. Reason: Found that Roma are from neighboring country.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    I guess You must go with full UQ if You want to ose it withoun any additional pads.
    This is correct information. If you don't use a pad with a partial length underquilt, then you will likely have cold legs and feet. So you will have to find something to supplement. Ie use your pack under your legs. Many people use a small sit pad around camp and that can be used. for insulating your legs.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The insulation you give your feet directly, from socks and the top quilt or sleeping bag, will have more value, IMO to warmth of the feet, than the under-quilt, which is more remote from those feet, and may do little to keep heat from draining from the heels to the fabric of the hammock bottom.

Dry feet and the right night socks, with the right-for-you combination of insulation, resilience and wicking will matter most to foot comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use a 50 rated Phoenix and Burrow in summer time and find that when temps are above fifty that the foot box of the top quilt keep my feet toasty. Actually on hot muggy nights its kinda nice IMHO to have a little bit of that night time chill cooling ya off from underneath. I however always bring a pad regardless of what length UQ I bring. Even if its just a sit pad.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    So you will have to find something to supplement. Ie use your pack under your legs.
    So clothes (might be even good wool) is enough for feet insulation, or long UQ is still must? Here I'm talking about ≈50F (and I always can tuck my legs, or couldn't I?).

Welcome To the HF! I think that You are first hanger in HF from Russia and You can check this thread, that's the same as I from Latvia at this time only one hanger.
    Thanks. :-) I checked legkohod.com forum for "hammock" — nothing special, so maybe I'm on very frontier here. :-)

I use a 50 rated Phoenix and Burrow in summer time and find that when temps are above fifty that the foot box of the top quilt keep my feet toasty.
    Btw, can you tell me the difference between this UQs: Jacks' Mt. Washington 3 is $300 and HG Incubator is just $209; they have same specs (ok, MW3 is warmer, but they don't have cooler, and I'm not expecting something less then 45F, and Incubator 20F is only $239)? Though TQs have same price: Jacks' Sierra Stealth for $210 and Burrow for $199. What I will have for extra $110?

Actually on hot muggy nights its kinda nice IMHO to have a little bit of that night time chill cooling ya off from underneath.
    I wish weather will be nice, but in one month (July mostly) I will travel to three different places and stay there for one week each, so I can't even predict, will it be +35 at day and +20 at night, or +18/+8 and rainy. :-)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I own a MT Washington 3 and a HG Winter Incubator... I found the winter incubator warm enough, but it only worked on my gathered end hammocks, the MT Washington 3 was a little chilly in late fall but could do a Bridge or a Gathered End. I sleep cold, take that for what its worth. MTW3 baffles run side to side, HG Inc. baffles run head to foot, I couldn't tell you which is better.

Think I might have been happy with a MTW4, don't use a bridge? you might have a better value proposition from HG.

I also find that foot insulation is better in quilt form. If I wear socks my feet get cold, If I trust my UQ and TQ to keep me warm I'm better off. This is a hard lesson, but sometimes you've got to take your socks off, even in winter (note these were dry socks!).

***All advice above is issued in the format of an opinion, don't quote or prosecute me.

Dan.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to hammocks and planning to buy Hennessy Hyperlight. I'm planning to stay in it at summer nights when temperature might go down to 40F (but usually 55F), also it can be rainy and wet for few days. More important that for some reason I will not take any pad with me, so I will rely only on UQ+TQ (I will have my clothes too to use it for insulation if needed :-)).
    Privyet. I have the Hennessy Hyperlight. While it is a great hammock, I prefer the Warbonnet Blackbird and a larger tarp. I carry a small pad, but I rely on the quilts to insulate.

I'm pretty sure with TQ (JRB Sierra Stealth), but can't choose between Mt. Washington 3 (77") and Greylock 3 (3/4, 52") as my UQ.

Can you help me with that? :-)
    The JRB Wearable Quilts are great for top quilts. I think that everyone should start with a No Sniveller as a TQ. For underquilts, I really like Hammockgear.com. If you don't want to use a pad, you will need a full-length UQ. I have a 3/4 and a full-length UQ, and I can feel the difference on my legs.

In my opinion, if you get a JRB Wearable Quilt and a Hammock Gear Incubator, you will be warm in most conditions. If shipping costs to Russia are too great from two manufacturers, then get the MW3 and their Hex Tarp.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    If you run a 3/4 UQ and need some warmth and don't want to take a pad ,go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a roll of Reflectives for $15.00! It's like bubble wrap with shiny stuff on both sides! It's mainly used to go around ductwork for insulation. The roll is around 30 ft and the stuff really works!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    50* temps is really a personal choice. I personally would go with the 3/4 length UQ, a good pair of socks (wool as you mentioned would be perfect ), and the TQ as you mentioned. However, it sounds like you are base camping in one spot for a period of time and if that is the case, weight is not an issue, definitely go full length. You always have the option to vent if it gets too hot. Its the lesser of the evilsto vent heat than it is to fight the cold spots.

Good luck and welcome to the forums
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast