Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Hammock camper and I need all the help I can get

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bill (aka "Goingsouth" as dubbed by my good friend and avid hiker Brian "Sideshow" Hackman) and I am considering using a hammock on my Southbound Thru-Hike on the A.T. this summer..

Here is the Link to my Journal http://www.thedustycamel.org/bill

I was diagnosed with a grade II brain tumor in February and I have about 3 - 5 years of medicine controlled symptoms before things start to go south. I have a kickstarter to fund a book project about the physical and mental aspect of thru hiking the A.T. with an active brain tumor and to tell my story for other people suffering with cancer to prove that The Diagnosis isn't the end of the story it is just the beginning.

So that said I want to use a hammock but I am afraid I don't have the time (two months) to learn all I need to make an informed purchase and then enough time to learn how to set up and care for a hammock properly.

I am sure I am in the right place to learn and the video's are great but I am a hands on learner. I have no formal knot tying experience, and to tell the truth it kind of scares me.

The main problem I have found in looking at the forums is there seems to be no "Right way" to hang which is really cool but for a new guy is kind of intimidating. I think I need my own version of a Hammock Yoda.

So if you had a budget of $600 - $1000 for sleeping in a hammock meaning everything ( I know you can do it for $50 bucks but I am a soft puffy inexperienced n00B) on a SOBO thru hike and you never learned how to tie a knot other than your shoelaces what would you use.

Some specifics:
    I am 5'8 and weigh 235lbs (Think Football Fullback all shoulders and quads)

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    HiYa Bill...Aways wanted to do the AT meself. Been on pieces of it here and there. Where will you be starting and when? I think you've got the right idea, really. Welcome to the forum. Your in the right place to to be if your thinking about doing anything in the woods. Keep us informed on your hike and experiences, please. And always, always, take a bunch of pics and videos.

I will be starting up in Maine in early June in hopes of finishing up in Georgia in early to mid November.

Don't worry lots of pictures and updates..

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!

Good place to start is the book the Ultimate Hang (check for the site banners for it). Tonnes of info in there!

All the very best!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You're an inspiration!

For knot-less hammocking, talk to the Dutch...
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...ies/dutchware/

Lots of options, but the Warbonnet blackbird is very popular:
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com

and Papasmurf makes good stuff too:
    http://Mydiygear.com

Arrowhead has lots of stuff: Whoopies, straps, underquilts top quilts, etc.
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com

There are too many vendors and options to just list them all, and I make most of my own gear, so I can't help you pick...

Stomcrow makes awesome quilts, I hear: http://hammockgear.com

$500 would get you nicely outfitted with TQ, UQ, Hammock, and probably a tarp, depending on your expected temperatures.

Talk to Angrysparrow, Stormcrow, Shug, Dutch, cannibal or any one of the experts here... I'm sure you can find somebody closeby to show you their gear so you can see what you like...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Watch shug's videos on YouTube and read the ultimate hang book

Just got the ultimate hang downloaded to the kindle (Thank you amazon) If anyone is in central North Carolina or Southern Virginia and would like to help a new guy please let me know

I watched lots of Shug's video's but that really does not help me in making a purchasing decision. And in order to get practice in setting it up I need to make a purchase..Those videos will be great once I actually have something in my hands.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Good luck on your hike and your health. What an inspiration you are!! I can't help you on purchases, but you definitely are going to want comfort and as light weight as possible. With your budget, you should be able to do both just fine. We have many members in your area and hopefully you can make it to a group hang and try out some different hammocks and see the set ups. It's really not hard at all. Even the basic knots that are used, I taught myself here in the living room while watching videos and wrapping cord around my foot to practice...there really aren't that many used. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by goingsouth View Post
    I will be starting up in Maine in early June in hopes of finishing up in Georgia in early to mid November.

Don't worry lots of pictures and updates..
    Well then! You'll be going thru the Presidential Range and Mount Moosilauke in New Hampshire. Let me know when you expect to be there. Franconia Notch area. Maybe we can meet up and me and a few others will trek thru there with you for the day. PM me. I also have many detailed trail maps of the area. It's rugged country. Steep rocky trails, but the views will knock your socks off. Also...expect it to be cool and windy up there even in june or july. There are AMC shelters along the way. Try to get to them before night fall.
    I will PM you my cell phone#. You get stuck anywhere in New Hampshire, give me a ring.
    Last edited by GT; 03-26-2012 at 05:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast