Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

What this DIY setup cost...

I finally tallied up the actual cost to DIY the hammock, bugnet, sock and tarp. Using DIYGear's site for material costs, I came up with approx. $125, plus shipping, to replicate the entire project. Here's the list of materials:

Caribiners (2 x $5.00)
    1.1 oz Ripstop nylon, seconds (4 yards x $3.20)
    No-see-um netting (6 yards x $3.55)
    1.1 oz Silnylon, seconds (11 yards x $5.50)
    Cord Locks, 2-hole (6 x $.13)
    Shock cord, 3/32" (30' x $.20)
    Polyester Webbing, 1" (12 x $.40)
    Amsteel Blue, 7/64" (30 x $.25)

Actually, you dont quite need all the nylon and silnylon, but DIYGear sell their stuff in full-yard increments, which I don't have a problem with. The extra fabric went to making a ridgeline organizer and snakeskins large enough to hold the entire setup.

It was interesting to note that the materials for the hammock, suspension, and bugnet cost nearly as much as the sock and tarp.

If anyone is interested in making one of these, let me know, and I'll be happy to share my notes and sketches. So far, there doesn't seem to be all that much interest in what I thought was a break-through rig. oh well, I'm hanging happy. HYOH

very first post

Sure hope this goes to the right place. I really really like the hammock with the bugnet and the tarp and the sock all in one unit. WOW!
    I just purchased my first hammock last Friday at REI. It is an Eno Doublenest that they have on sale intil the end of the month for $45.00.
    Before I bought it I did lots of research, (and that is how I found this forum) to learn as much as I could before I got started.

You have inspired me to sort of copy what you did. My first objection was that your system looked too heavy, but then I learned it weighs less than 2 pounds!
    WOW! Again!
    Very nice

Also on this forum I found DIY Gear? that you mentioned, and had already ordered some material for a tarp to make my own. After reading lots of info on this forum about making your own bug net, I decided I should do that also, so the Eno Guardian I bought from REI will be going back... unused.

You are very clever, and I am glad I read your post. My yard has only one useable tree and I have been looking for portable hammock stands all through this forum. Everything has shown up from telephone poles to PVC pipe; with lots of math and successes and catastrophic failures in the mix.

To me, your little stick (and lines) seem like all you really need. I greatly appreciate your demo! Perhaps there are math majors who could tell me why I am (and you are) wrong, but then we would ask them how a bee can fly .

Gosh, I only have one question now (perhaps more later) but ... How much do you weigh? Me, I am 6' 4" and 245 lbs, so I worry about a sapling like yours holding me up
    Not a problem for me getting a better stake, maybe a 2"x3" (not a telephone pole), and perhaps a bit longer as I want to be a bit higher.

Thank you for your good work, and for sharing it with us.

Peter Z

I really like this idea but do you not have problems with the tarp becoming loose when you get in the hammock?

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    very cool ! I like how the sock covers the ends on the hammock and then follows the lines of your hammock sides, I wish my thread throwi skills were up to par, I would build one of those bad boys tomorrow.
    Never let schooling get in the way of your education. -Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Very nice design!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    First, thanks to all for the interest and kudos.

As for the questions:

I'm 5'11" and weigh 210 lbs. I used a 2 1/2" maple sapling and feel it would handle 250 lbs before it started to show any significant weakness. I'm not an engineer or mathematician, but it seems to me that with the tieout system I use, most of the force of my weight is directed straight down the center of the pole and into the ground. I don't see a lot of lateral stress.

As for the tarp... yep, the tarp sags when it is attached to the suspension and I get in. At first, I was like, "Bummer!", but then I reminded myself that this rig was initially pictured as a sort of HANGING BIVY SACK. Something that setup quick, allowed me to hang in my hammock and be protected from the elements. Since I made the bottom part with silnylon, I really only need to protect the opening on the top (and that is a pretty small area). And since the top is also of silnylon, my main concern was to keep the inside ventilated. This design achieves this. So, even though the tarp sags when I get in the hammock, I'm protected from the elements and I have a good supply of air. On the other hand, I can also set up the tarp on it's own line (I carry extra mason line) so that I can have more space to sit and work under the tarp when the weather is not so dire.

As for the design: I think it's fairly simplistic. When I was figuring out shape and size, I bought a couple of $7 tarps from Northern Tool and chopped those up until I was satisfied. I held the pieces together with duct tape instead of sewing. When I was done designing, I just untaped the sections and used them for a pattern on the silnylon.

As for sewing skills required... if you can do a flatfelled seam, that you got all the skills you need. Now that I think aboout it, a simple stitch seam will probably work just as well, though you may want to run two lines of stitches for extra strength.

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Specs & Cutting/Sewing Diagrams?

I'd love to see design info on this if you have it & are sharing. Cutting dimensions, what ever.

I was drooling over MedicineMan's cuban solution the HangnOut Derigible but the sticker price... plus I want my projects to be reproducible by the Scouts I work with.

I guessing this over a double layer hammock with a CCF pad and a sleeping bag TQ and the scouts would be good for most of what we run into.

Thanks
    Ed
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey, thanks for the interest, but would love to share the idea to see what others come up with. I don't have anything specific drawn up. I had started with a rough idea with rough dimesions and processed it out a blue-plastic tarp prototype. Also, I've made some modifications since the original. Let me work on the specifics this week and I'll have them for you by the weekend.

I've found with this setup, that I was able to remove the second layer of my hammock, reducing that weight and bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    I'd love to see design info on this if you have it & are sharing. Cutting dimensions, what ever.

I was drooling over MedicineMan's cuban solution the HangnOut Derigible but the sticker price... plus I want my projects to be reproducible by the Scouts I work with.

I guessing this over a double layer hammock with a CCF pad and a sleeping bag TQ and the scouts would be good for most of what we run into.

Thanks
    Ed

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Lovely modular design, great work mate

• + New Posts