Thread: I love Umstead

Images

I love Umstead

Spent the morning yesterday in Umstead wandering around.

Every time I go I'm blow away by how nice the forest is out there.
    The trees are surprisingly open and its easy to wander off trail for a few miles without running into anything but rolling hills and wildlife.

Its almost hard to find briars of any sort and the animal runs provide a few short cuts that make it even easier to lose yourself from civilization.

I discovered a fairly flat topped hill a good distance from any of the trails with water nearby. Could easily hang a small army of hammocks up there. Might have to go back for some stealth camping one day.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I enjoy getting out to Umstead to hike around for the day as well.

In fact my only problem is the amount of road and airport noise that can intrude into the forest. Perhaps I'm just really sensitive to it when I'm out in the woods though.

If you haven't been yet, I recommend Eno River for a great place to hike and get away from the sounds of the city as well.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I use to go there quite often when I was going to NCSU ... but late spring, summer ... that place was Tick central. I saved my trips there for fall, winter and early spring ...

I did hear the noise level is much higher because of the growth in the area ... a bit of a shame for sure.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Uwharrie

Glad to see you were able to have a nice day in the woods.

I was able to slip out of town late Thursday afternoon and took off to Uwharrie for two nights.

Got set up Thursday around 7:00PM just as the rain started. Few thunderstorms around with some lightning but nothing hit me except the rain. It stopped around 7:00AM Friday and I got packed up and hit the trail. Did some miles and went to Woodrun where I spent Friday night.

Packed out early Saturday and was home by noon.

Woodrun camp seemed like Time Square Friday afternoon. Mountain Bikers were crossing and recrossing the camp going from one mountain trail to the other and up and down the main train. All appeared to be having a great time.

(Note to self - need bigger tarp, used two 6 x 8's for full coverage and it looked like a spider web of lines around my hammock.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKA Pete; 04-08-2012 at 07:01. Reason: Try to attached picture

Images
    I remember the bikers when I visited Uwharrie. I haven't been to Eno but I may check it out soon.

Just walked in the door from another 3 hours and 4 miles at Umstead. There are a few parts close to the roads but I don't might it much. Its fairly easy to head into the central southern portion and feel like you're a million miles from anywhere.

I found an interesting spot today that was the remains of something or another.
    I had been walking through a low flat area beside a drainage and turned to go up one of the hills. Against the bottom of the hill was a little pond about as wide as my arms. At first I thought this was just a hole from a turned over tree but I didn't see the hump of dirt you usually see with those. I turned around and parallel with the hill was a 10 foot long trench about 12 feet in from of the hole. It looked to be centered in from of the hole and almost at each corner was a 1in thick steel rod going into the ground and sticking up a few feet with an inch or so of threads on the end.

I have no idea what the tench was but it made it pretty evident the hole in the ground was not natural. I'm thinking maybe a spring house, a root cellar or maybe just an out house though if it was as big as the tench it would be an awfully big out house.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like it could have been a old wind mill site possibly. Without seeing it I can't be sure though.

Windmill up on the hill to power a water pump and the trench below could have been used for a cistern of some sort for the water to be pumped into.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Umstead is a great get away... used to wander around out there myself when I was living in Raleigh. When I wanted to get out for a weekend I'd usually make the drive over to Uwharrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I use to go there quite often when I was going to NCSU ... but late spring, summer ... that place was Tick central. I saved my trips there for fall, winter and early spring ...

I did hear the noise level is much higher because of the growth in the area ... a bit of a shame for sure.
    I knew I liked this guy for some reason. State folks are some of the best!

• + New Posts