Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Anyone use an ENO Guardian over an underquilt?

After being nearly eaten alive when I hung my hammock in the back yard last week for the first time this season, I remembered that I needed a bug net.

I grabbed an ENO Guardian but haven't had a chance to try it out yet (and the temps here in upstate NY are back to normal... too cold and breezy for mosquitos this week).

I'm taking my new girlfriend on an overnight trip next weekend and she'll be sleeping in the hammock. It'll be set up with my KAQ New River long, and I'm wondering about the set-up if I do need the bug net. The Guardian doesn't open up on the ends; the hammock has to be threaded through the small openings in each end of the net. I'm curious as to how difficult it will be to attach the underquilt with the hammock inside the bug net.

Can anyone share their experience? I hope to do a trial set-up this afternoon. I'll report back if/when I do.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My experience has been that women prefer the bugnet. I think it provides another layer of mental defense for them; particularly the first outing. You should take it. As to the underquilt, I've not used a New River, but my other quilts don't have any real problems being installed on the hammock inside of the netting. A little more effort moving stuff around while you get it done, but nothing that will make you curse
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    'Bob: Put the entire hammock with the under quilt attached in the net through the zipper, then pull the suspension lines out the holes on each end. Good luck.

P.S. My vote is FOR a bug net other than in deep winter!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I received a guardian bug net as a gift and set it up indoors yesterday over my hammock and underquilt. The guardian has velcro on the ends - just open it up and there is a several inch wide opening for your suspension to pass through. Obviously seal it back up afterwards to defy the critters.

I recommend setting up the hammock and quilt first, then unzip the bug net, unhook one end of your suspension and pass it through the opening, reconnect suspension, then repeat for the other side. This will be much easier with two people. However, I think the best way to do it would be to assemble the whole kit at home, and stuff the bug net, hammock and quilt all into one bag.

I have an adjustable ridgeline on my hammock, so I didn't use the supplied line. If you don't have a ridgeline, you'll need to use a rope to keep the bug net off of your face.

If you figure out an easy way to remove the attached stuff bag from the guardian (other than cutting it off with scissors) let me know. Unfortunately, it hangs down quite low and will probably either make noise or collect dirt (or both). I'd suggest removing it before you find out.

Definitely bring the bug net. Even if there aren't any bugs, it will provide a small amount of warmth and a great psychological barrier against critters.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Thanks, everyone.

I didn't get a chance to set it up yesterday but I took another look at it tonight. My new Guardian does not have Velcro to secure the openings at each end but, rather, drawstrings/cordlocks (which I think I prefer).

I have a nice ridgeline made up to support my MacCat Deluxe tarp, so I expect to be able to hang the net from it.

I camped in my Doublenest three times last year but it was always in the fall, and the whole mosquito issue never entered my mind. It was only when my new girlfriend encouraged me to set it up last week for lounging in the back yard that the bug issue reared its ugly head. They were biting her right through the hammock! I'm confident the Guardian will take care of that.

Last week's unseasonably warm weather has disappeared here in upstate NY, with today's high temperature only reaching the low 40's. The forecast for our overnight trip includes a night-time low of 32 degrees in between two days of mid-50's temps, so the bugs shouldn't be bad if they are even out at all. I'll bring the bug net along for bug protection, a tiny bit of extra warmth, and for the added secure feeling of being "inside" (although this girl is a real and true outdoor lover and open-air sleeping would suit her just fine).

Thanks again for your help. I'll post a follow up when I get a chance to set the thing up and/or when I get back from our outing.

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Last edited by desmobob; 03-28-2012 at 22:30.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkphoto View Post
    The guardian has velcro on the ends
    It does?

My Guardian has a huge zippered opening, I see no reason why you wouldnt be able to fit it in there, like Pipsissewa and adkphoto said, pop it out the ends, easy stuff...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post

Thanks again for your help. I'll post a follow up when I get a chance to set the thing up and/or when I get back from our outing.
    I got out on my overnight trip, and due to the fact our upstate NY weather reverted back to the early March type, there was no need for the Guardian bug net so we didn't pack it.

As a matter of fact, it got so cold (20's) overnight, I was concerned it might be a bit uncomfortable for my hiking buddy to sleep in my hammock with just the KAQ New River long underquilt (rated for 30 deg.). Before sleep time, I put my down jacket between her underquilt and hammock and she said she was warm enough through the night. (I slept on the ground.)

The trip was a big success and now she wants a hammock of her own.

A little snow and ice on Monday morning:

Happy campers:

Staying warm by the campfire after some dinner and wine:

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    Last edited by desmobob; 04-05-2012 at 22:27.

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Sounds like a keeper Desmobob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikemaulmaster View Post
    Sounds like a keeper Desmobob
    She is... We did another 10-mile overnight trip last weekend. She really loves being outdoors and hiking/camping. I'll be helping her pick out a hammock system very soon!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

• + New Posts