Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

newbie suspension blues

I set up my ENO DN this weekend for a little car camping and decided to give a strap and ring suspension a try. I believe it's a sort of sliding ring system, like on a double ring belt. I used left over ratchet straps and a handful of rings from a ranch supply store. The straps went around the tree, two rings were attached to each end of my hammock. I fed the strap through both rings, then separated the rings and fed the strap between both back towards the tree. Tied a slippery half-hitch and thought it was good. I tugged and pulled to make sure everything was good, but when I got in the hammock, the foot end came loose and hit the ground each time. I ended up abandoning it and am now seeking council from everyone here as to what could have gone wrong. The strap just seemed slippery.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    How were the rings attached to your hammock?

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPappy View Post
    How were the rings attached to your hammock?
    i just clipped them to my stock carabiners.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    The rings need to be tied to the hammock by a larks head knot, holding the 2 rings together tightly when under tension. You might consider switching to climbing rated rings (SMC rings),
    as some have reported the welded steel rings opening up on them. ( your suspension should be rated to 5 x your weight ). Hope that does the trick for you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    i just clipped them to my stock carabiners.
    Ah! The biner was twisting when you applied tension and causing the rings to seperate. Thereby allowing the webbing to slip. At least that's what I forsee happening in my mind.

The usual method is to lark's head the rings together with a fixed amsteel loop. Then lark's head or prusic that "ring device" onto the hammock. Because this arrangement will not allow the rings to separate the webbing will hold fast.

EDIT: Yeah welded steel rings can separate; has happened to me. If you are sub 200lbs you may not have a problem for a long long time, but for peace of mind I'd go with climbing approved descender rings.

of course I have to add...

If you have the $$ to drop an All-in-One whoopie sling system from whoopieslings.com is the next best thing to anti-gravity.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 03-26-2012 at 11:46.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Ah! The biner was twisting when you applied tension and causing the rings to seperate. Thereby allowing the webbing to slip. At least that's what I forsee happening in my mind.

The usual method is to lark's head the rings together with a fixed amsteel loop.
    +1 If the straps or rings are able to slip side to side you'll drop. I am surprised it happened with the half hitch even, but if it was pulled tight it was probably small enough to pass the rings.

Larks head the two rings so they stay directly over top each other.

Hammock
    Hennessy 'Deep Jungle' (Zip)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's my ultimate suspension set up idea. I really like the idea of being able to detach the hammock whilst under the tarp. This method would mean I could leave the whoopies attached to the hammock if I wanted to (which would also mean I could still use snakeskins). Though, thinking about it, maybe it would be better to use a Dutch biner between hammock and whoopie. What do you think?

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ahh, I see. It's one of those fixes that I'm going to kick myself about!
    I'll lash them to the tarp and give it a shot. Also keeping my eye open for a few descender rings. thanks for the help!

Once the cash comes in for frivolities, I'll be adding a whoopie sling system.

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    For the time being, you can install two rings, and remove the carabiner with out unting the stock rope from your ENO... Simply remove the carabiner, untie the knot that was used to hold it in place.. You should be left with just a loop going through sticking out of your hammock.. Feed the loop through both rings, then fold the tip of the loop back toward the hammock, then pull the rings away from the hammock, you should know have a knot holding both rings in place.. I used this set up on my ENO with steel rings for about a year with out any problems.. I have since upgraded to whoopie slings..

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Here's my ultimate suspension set up idea. I really like the idea of being able to detach the hammock whilst under the tarp. This method would mean I could leave the whoopies attached to the hammock if I wanted to (which would also mean I could still use snakeskins). Though, thinking about it, maybe it would be better to use a Dutch biner between hammock and whoopie. What do you think?

I don't think a dutch hook is what you want, they are tiny and made for tarp suspension. I have broken a dutch hook using it improperly and for things it was not designed for, and no where near the force hammock suspension sees.

I think you are wanting a dutch whoopie hook.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast