Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex

First all night hang in NBY

Well, we did it! It was a LONG night, but my sister, my self, and my daughter did a hang in Nana's back yard (NBY) last night. My first attempt to hang with my daughter did not go so well http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46100
    We set up our HH cub, HH expedition, and the $25 Wal-Mart blue hammock. 100_0930.jpg

As far as warmth we used the ccf pads with SPE in my HH explorer and the Wal-mart hammock my sister slept in. My daughters HH cub had a 3 inch thick fabric covered foam mat from a portable cot my mom has. We each had regular blankets. They had two and I had one. I attached the two DIY poncho liners to the HH expedition & Wal-mart blue hammock. Last nights low was 50*. There were no cold spots reported, but I did experience a cold face early this morning.

We had an issue with neighborhood dogs barking and growling. We were in the back tree line and they let us know we were closer than they liked. My daughter still had the issue with waking up scared. We had attached the glow sticks to her zippers, so that helped a little. My sister held her hand till she calmed down. I think we had the waking in fear issue about 5 times.... I am glad to report we did make it thru the whole night! AND....my daughter and sister both want to hang again tonight. I really thought that we were going to have to go back to the "old" way of being ground dwellers. If we can get thru tonight we may just get this new way ironed out.

Something else I figured out was that the hammocks are a lot stronger than I thought. I have been very scared to move around alot in the hammock in fear I would break them. I am not a small southern girl and neither is my sister. She tossed and bounced in the cheap Wal-mart hammock till I thought for sure she was gonna end up on the ground. It held her with No issues. My HH went thru quite a bit of me tossing and turning and did just fine. Finding that sweet spot for sleeping is an art. I am not sure that I have figured that part out.

We have a hiking/backpacking/camping trip planned for Friday. We will be hiking 4 miles into the camp site, so getting this right now is a must!

I can't thank everyone enough for the kind support and all the answers to my noob questions.

A group hang can't happen soon enough! We have a lot to learn!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Cool. Glad to hear it went so well. That sweet spot is in there--you'll find it soon. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the next venture.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Night # 2 was even better. Going for # 3 tonight! We may just get the "Hang" of this after all.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Thats great news! After your daughter gets use to it, you will have to fight to get her to sleep inside.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    Thats great news! After your daughter gets use to it, you will have to fight to get her to sleep inside.
    Aint that the truth!! I can't hang out in the backyard without having one of my daughters out there with me...and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    100_0941.jpg

100_0944.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0932.jpg Night # 3 was a bit of a bust. We made it till 11:30, but because of large neighborhood dogs roaming thru NBY we decided to call it a night a little early. These dogs had already shown aggressive behavior by barking and growling the 1st night.

All in all I learned quite a bit and 9Lives is getting more comfortable. We are stoked about our trip this Friday. It's a one nighter and I am feeling better about having ditched the tent and purchased the HH's. My BF is going with us and I hope to show her the benefits of a hammock and convert her..lol I have also figured out the whole footbox concept would be good thing and my next hammock will have one.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Glad you got a full night in and everyone enjoyed the hammock experience. A big tarp is a great investment when hanging with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by flight_chick View Post

I can't thank everyone enough for the kind support and all the answers to my noob questions.

A group hang can't happen soon enough! We have a lot to learn!
    I bet that if you set a date for a group hang at Savage Gulf you would get a few hangers from the area to attend. 2sticks (11 yr old daughter) would love to go to a hang with some other kids.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Glad you got a full night in and everyone enjoyed the hammock experience. A big tarp is a great investment when hanging with kids.

I bet that if you set a date for a group hang at Savage Gulf you would get a few hangers from the area to attend. 2sticks (11 yr old daughter) would love to go to a hang with some other kids.
    That's a great idea! We have hiked at Savage Gulf, but never camped. The only camp ground I saw was the one at the rangers station. Is that the one ya'll stay at when you go?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    One of our favorites is Savage Falls. It can be accessed from several trails with the shortest hike about 2 miles from the Savage Gulf Ranger Station. Lots of water and scenery nearby.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's great to hear that your first 3 nights were a success, minus the dogs. It's a wonderful opportunity for family members to bond together.

I credit your spirit as well. It's obvious in your post that you decided to give this a serious try in spite of any newbie obstacles. And you were smart to do it in your backyard.

I strongly recommend that you go on the group trip. Not only will you get to see alternate techniques and get helpful advice, you will just plain have a great time.

I get out with fellow HF members ever chance I get. They have become a part of my extended family!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts