Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Lightest suspension system?

I've just changed both my Claytor & my Clark to cinch buckles and Strapworks 1 in straps. I'm very happy with the ease of set up and centering (though I still haven't cut the Clark's rope yet, chicken I guess)

I have however given myself a large amount of strap on both sides to accommodate large trees or wide space between trees. As I'm a hunter rather than a hiker, light weight hasn't been my motivating factor. I am however interested to know what you guys consider the best light weight suspension system.

I know one of the cordage types mentioned was Air-Core (I think) and it is very light and strong. Is this the best light weight suspension cordage? Links to vendors that sell your recommendations would be welcome.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    This thread is awesome. It has tons on info on weights of various systems.

I think the lightest suspension I have used to date is the Single Line Suspension. The Trucker's Hitch system was also an attempt to reduce weight.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

my current suspension

I am a fan of 1/8" Vectran, available at Annapolis Performance Sailing, also at Mauriprosailing. Weighs 0.08 oz/ft.

I use a tree-hugger length piece of webbing, I'll take TeeDee's weight of 0.78 oz on that. I'm using the Marlin-spike hitch he showed, to create a toggle at the tree to hook the cord on (end of cord has a bowline). Wooden dowel for toggle is 0.2 oz. There's 10 ft of cord.

Down at the hammock end I had been doing a trucker's hitch style knot, using one SMC ring on the cord as an anchor. But recently I tried the Garda hitch---needs two rings---but is it ever slick. I'm sold, so am carrying an extra ring on each end.

That makes
    webbing 0.78 oz
    10' cord 0.80 oz
    rings 0.80 oz
    toggle 0.20 oz

That's 2.58 oz for one side, double that for both ends. Up from 2.18 oz per side.

<PSST. My advice to you is to ditch the straps. That vectran is rated to 2000 lbs, is so much lighter and so much compact than Strapworks webbing. But don't tell the webbing carrying natives I told you so. They LIKE the extra weight and bulk. Everyone hangs his own suspension around here.>

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Grizz, can you go over how you tie the garda hitch onto the 2 rings? Everything I've read on how to tie shows how to do it with 'biners. I'm just not getting the picture... btw, many of the threads about it are self-referencing. Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    This thread is awesome. It has tons on info on weights of various systems.
    Ditto what HC4U said. I've switched to the Carabiner Hitch described in that thread and haven't looked back!

I pretty much use the same materials described by TeeDee in that thread. I did make my tree huggers a little different: I used the 2" seatbelt webbing from Strapworks. Its not as thick as the other webbings so its the same weight; but I feel it might distribute your load a little better over the tree trunk. I also permanently sewed an SMC ring into one end of the hugger -- makes one less thing to lose.

• + New Posts