WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner

First extended trip out...and a rip?!

I purchased my HH Exp Deluxe about a month ago and have done about 10 overnight-ers in it...mostly in the backyard. I've tested different setups, to manage different temps, and rain conditions. All have gone flawlessly and really impressed me with the quality of the hammock.

I spent this entire weekend out on a primitive camping trip, and slept every night better than I would have at home in my own bed. When packing up, I removed the wool blanket that I was using as insulation under me in the hammock...only to find a 2 inch hole in the bottom of the hammock!! I have no idea how it got there as I always remove any items from my pockets before entering the hammock and try to be careful with it. I am a big guy, 6'4" 255lbs, and I am wondering if somehow my size caused the nylon to split. The tear is just above were my butt would be.

I'm assuming this would be considered wear and tear (literally) and wouldn't be covered in any warrenty, so could someone please help me with trying to fix the hole, and possibly reinforce the area? I'll snap some pics of it...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Feel for ya

I too am a big guy and have one of the early Safari models so it has a fair amount of use and have had zero defects or issues so I wold think that this is not normal wear or tear and should be covered by any responsible and customer dedicated business. Can you post a pic of the damage area? I would also without a doubt contact Hennessy about the hole and tell them the history of use, not abuse, and send them a pic of the damage area before doing anything else. If a company has the wherewithal to not cover this kind of a single event/hole then I am sure it may be worked over and patched but I would think twice of ever dealing with that company again. And then most importantly let us know what happens with Hennessy and your hammock. As a fellow Hennessy owner I want to know of any changes that will effect future purchasing decisions as I am sure first time buyers doing research on the Hennessy would also be interested in your results. Customer service after the sale is one of the most important factors even above price, in determining who I spend my money with.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One thought... Do you take your shoes/boots off when in the hammock. Is it bottom entry or zip? In the bottom entry I can find myself using my heel to help position myself. I am very careful to remove my shoes before I settle in. My major pressure area for my heel would be about where you say the rip is. This is applicable only to the bottom entry I would think. I have never used a zip so I can't comment on that style.

I would certainly get a picture of it and e-mail it to Hennessy. Let them give you their take on the situation. I have found Hennessy to take customer service seriously.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    It is a zip model and yes, I take my shoes off before entering. That is why I was so shocked to see the hole. I was also laying ontop of a blanket which was my liner, so I'm confused as to how the hole actually got there in the first place.

I'll post some pics up. Just gotta get the thing unpacked...

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    I wold think that this is not normal wear or tear and should be covered by any responsible and customer dedicated business. Can you post a pic of the damage area? I would also without a doubt contact Hennessy about the hole and tell them the history of use, not abuse, and send them a pic of the damage area before doing anything else. If a company has the wherewithal to not cover this kind of a single event/hole then I am sure it may be worked over and patched but I would think twice of ever dealing with that company again. .
    I guess this just proves various people think differently. If I found a tear in a jacket I would never say "well, I don't know how it got there so it must be defective."

Just because the OP doesn't know the source of the tear doesn't automatically mean he has a defective product. I believe in Ockham's Razor theory. Use it here and we get two possibilities;

1. A well known, well built product developed a defect in an unlikely place with no other explaination than a defect.

2. After 10 uses including, set ups and breakdowns, and a weekend trip the OP noticed a tear that is most like the result of snagging the fabic on something at some point and stressing the fabic.

Which is more likely?

I worked in retail for several years in a business that had plenty of legit warranty issues. We also had people who assumed anything and everything was a material defect and never their fault or simply an accident.

I would contact Hennessy to inquire about the best repair method or maybe a nice price for a replacement.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    I purchased my HH Exp Deluxe about a month ago and have done about 10 overnight-ers in it...mostly in the backyard. I've tested different setups, to manage different temps, and rain conditions. All have gone flawlessly and really impressed me with the quality of the hammock.

I spent this entire weekend out on a primitive camping trip, and slept every night better than I would have at home in my own bed. When packing up, I removed the wool blanket that I was using as insulation under me in the hammock...only to find a 2 inch hole in the bottom of the hammock!! I have no idea how it got there as I always remove any items from my pockets before entering the hammock and try to be careful with it. I am a big guy, 6'4" 255lbs, and I am wondering if somehow my size caused the nylon to split. The tear is just above were my butt would be.

I'm assuming this would be considered wear and tear (literally) and wouldn't be covered in any warrenty, so could someone please help me with trying to fix the hole, and possibly reinforce the area? I'll snap some pics of it...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt
    I'd contact HH and just see what they say. Maybe they had a batch of bad material.
    That said if they do replace it I'd sell it. Isn't the Exped rated for 250# ?
    I would think a 1.7 double layered hammock might serve you better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I would Give Hennessy a call. I have not used their customer service after a purchase but others have and the reports have been good.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I'd contact HH and just see what they say. Maybe they had a batch of bad material.
    That said if they do replace it I'd sell it. Isn't the Exped rated for 250# ?
    I would think a 1.7 double layered hammock might serve you better.
    His user profile says it's an Explorer Deluxe. He's still on the upper end of the weight scale (Explorer is rated to 300lbs) but his weight alone shouldn't be enough to cause a tear.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    Here are a few shots of the tear...

I am not trying to "fake" a warranty claim at all. I really have no idea how it got there, and did not notice it until packing up. My only thought was either it was caused by me being a big guy, or somehow there was something underneath the hammock that it was rubbing on. Neither of which seem likely, but that's all I can think of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57926564@N06/7021428727

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57926564@N06/6875323886

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    Here are a few shots of the tear...

I am not trying to "fake" a warranty claim at all.
    It's clear you are not trying to fake anything.

I get bothered with consumers, not you, that immediately yell 'defective' and anything short of a no questions asked 100% free replacement is deemed poor service. In most cases it is a totally unrealistic expectation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast