Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You did a really pro looking job!
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

hangNyak, you make this seem so easy, the pics make it look so easy, that a lot of us will probably jump in for a try. The pics were great, and the stand in the background I really like. Good job.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    hangNyak, you make this seem so easy, the pics make it look so easy, that a lot of us will probably jump in for a try. The pics were great, and the stand in the background I really like. Good job.
    I tried to take pictures throughout. Anyone with a little bit of sewing skills can do it. The sharing of ideas, is what I love about this forum. I say jump right in and go for it! You will be glad you did.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy clone
    Has anyone tried using the Calculations speadsheet on google docs? I don't have excel on my computer and have been having issues 'feeding the cat'. I may just be incompetent, it took me a few minutes just to find the button...

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Awesome job, hangNyak! Good call on using a template. Looks like it made life easier for you. You also proved to me that I have been "working harder and not smarter" on all my previous DIY tarps. I have always put a rolled hem on all the edges before putting the grosgrain on; I guess that's just the OCD in me. I noticed in the photos you left the edges raw and simply applied the grosgrain over them. I agree that ironing the grosgrain helps--at least from my experience with it. Now after seeing your handiwork I'm upset with myself for expending all the time/energy on the rolled hems! Just guess I'll have to do another one following the process you used! Again, that's a sweet tarp you made--great work!

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Awesome job, hangNyak! Good call on using a template. Looks like it made life easier for you. You also proved to me that I have been "working harder and not smarter" on all my previous DIY tarps. I have always put a rolled hem on all the edges before putting the grosgrain on; I guess that's just the OCD in me. I noticed in the photos you left the edges raw and simply applied the grosgrain over them. I agree that ironing the grosgrain helps--at least from my experience with it. Now after seeing your handiwork I'm upset with myself for expending all the time/energy on the rolled hems! Just guess I'll have to do another one following the process you used! Again, that's a sweet tarp you made--great work!
    If you have a foot for the thread injector that rolls the hems for you, it's a cake walk. I get a 1/8 in. rolled hem in seconds with mine.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Question: The tarp looks great but looking at the pics, why use a ridgeline above the tarp?

Nice! I'm looking to build the same tarp.

Can I ask what purpose the crossgrain has? Is it there just to provide more strength than a roll hem would provide?

And is there any reason you couldn't use the scraps from your cat cuts to make the reinforcements on the tie-outs?
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Saaaweet nice job !!bring the rain

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    Nice! I'm looking to build the same tarp.

Can I ask what purpose the crossgrain has? Is it there just to provide more strength than a roll hem would provide?

And is there any reason you couldn't use the scraps from your cat cuts to make the reinforcements on the tie-outs?
    Many people find the grossgain easier to deal with than a rolled hem on silnylon and/or like the look.

And no reason that you couldn't use the scraps from your cat cuts of the tie out reinforcement patches, Many people seem to like having a contrasting color, though that could just be a subconcious decision since many of the professional tarps are done that way. You could even go without the reinforcement patches and just use a strip of grossgain traveling along the hem about 6 inches in each direction as well.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast