WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up Businesses just don't do this... Thanks Dale!

I have had some great experiences since finding this crazy place. Great experiences out in the creation. Great experiences with new friends. And great experiences with some of the friendliest business people I've ever dealt with.

I bought an Incubator from Adam and Jenny a couple of years ago. I was having trouble with a little CBS, and Adam was fiddling with designs, so HE contacted me, and asked me to send my Incubator back. He was "upgrading" me to a new prototype Incubator. He didn't have to do that. I've never had CBS since. I'll always buy from Hammock Gear.

Well... I'm a believer in Tree to Tree Trail Gear and the hammocks that those boys make. Hammocks are as individual as people, and some of the other, more popular hammocks just didn't work for me. It took one time in my Light Hiker to know I'd found a great fit. It's still my favorite hammock. When Dale announced a 1.1 dbl Switchback, I immediately grabbed one of those too. I wanted to try a netless hammock, so when they became available I bought a 1.9 SL netless Switchback to finish the TtTTG collection.

When the WL Lite Owl came out, I grabbed one of those just to try something different. I liked it well enough that I could let my netless Switchback go. Here is where the story begins. Quite an introduction.

I took the netless Switchback to the fall Texas hand at Fairfield this last November, and A LOT of people gave it a test drive. Enter USER ERROR. Without naming any names, I let some try it out that probably tested the limits of the hammock. It never seemed to budge - bombproof. Alas, no one wanted to buy it. That really isn't bad news. I'd just try to sell it here on the forums, or just keep it. You can't have too many hammocks.

Enter USER ERROR again. I listed the hammock and HobieCat did his best to whittle me down on price, but finally gave in. I sent it, and he said "Shane, this thing has issues." I said "Send it back." No harm no foul. I should have looked over it before I listed it. Turns out the hammock had a spot on one of the sewn channels where it had been stressed and, for lack of a better work, ripped.

Enter Dale @ TtTTG. I contacted Dale about a possible repair of the hammock. I explained that in no uncertain terms, the cause of the damage to the hammock was user error - too much load. Dale said "Send it back and I'll just send you a new one." Whoa. I tried again. "Hey Dale, what about I pay for a simple modification? Cut off the damaged end, re-sew the channel, and it'll just be a netless SL Light Hiker?" Dale just said "Let me send you a new one."

Today, when I got home from work, a package was waiting from Dale. It's a brand new 1.9SL netless Switchback. Dale's only request was that I pay it forward someday. I'm still trying to figure out how best to do that. I just wanted to take a couple of minutes to post this here. Some already know about Tree to Tree and how they go out of their way for their customers. This is for those of you that don't. Businesses just don't take care of customers this way any more.

Dale, you have a customer for life, or for as long as you are in business. Thanks buddy. I hope I get a chance to hang with you some day.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I got to meet Dlae last year at Mahha and he is a Stand up guy,very nice and a Joy to hang with .... i hope to see him again at spring Mahha
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Nice!
    We need a LIKE button.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    A fantastic experience to have! Some really great vendors here.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's been my experience that cottage manufacturers like Dale and the other vendors on our forum have a different business model than the rest of the universe!

I believe that one of the reasons we are so passionate about our gear is because we feel like we know the people that made it.

Thanks for sharing that well deserved praise!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Nice story Shane. I agree with MAd777, They really treat you right or go way above more than they have to.That kind of service always breeds the customer loyalty. Good luck when you decide to PIF!

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    that is a pretty sweet story
    When it seems like the night will last forever
    And there's nothing left to do but count the years
    When the strings of my heart start to sever
    And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And dream me a dream of my own
    -Jerry

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I am not surprised at all to hear your story, Shane!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Nice outcome.
    I had a similar sort of experience with Hennessy Hammocks.
    I ordered a hyperlite A-sym and associated fly.
    When I received it, the fly was stuck together very badly like it had been subjected to heat or something. I could "unstick" it but it was taking 10 minutes each time. Eventually I put it away and just used an ordinary tarp for local trips etc.
    Anyway, about six months later I was heading off camping overseas to a tropical location and thought the HH would suit my purposes but didn't want the added weight of a standard tarp.
    About two weeks before, on a whim, I emailed HH and told them what had happened. Without hesitation or question another was underway that day.
    Now HH is in Canada I believe and I am in Australia. It could have been too easy to put this in the too hard basket and told me to go on my merry way.
    Instead I received the fly just before I left and made good use of it for about three months while we were away. It was awesome. Even my mates tried to pinch it whenever I was away.
    That's service hard to beat.
    Cheers
    Bloffy

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Its good to see that - in times of Globalization and TSR - cottage manufacturers and clients keep up with good old business concepts. Gives me hope for the future of my children. Keep it up, guys ! I wish we had more of your type of cottage manufacturers in Europe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast