Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question

I'd agree on the 'whimpier' shock cord. I liked the old one, which was a little heavier.

I have both of the styles and I really liked the full length cords as they pulled up the sides; however, I frequently got a cold spot between my shoulders. Being as they're all Incubators, I didn't need the cord loose in the side channel, as I didn't pull it up or down like a 2/3 UQ.

I solved this by putting a piece of shock cord on the middle grossgrain loops that are between the ends. This really helped.

That being said, I did the same thing with the newer designed suspension ones. It seems that the new one is more likely to shift off my legs, as the shock cord doesn't cause the sides to "cup" the hammock as much. In fact, I'd say that if anything it is too loose. When laying in the hammock, the edges "fall down" - meaning that the edge seams fold over.

To solve this, I tried biners in the two outside grossgrain loops to pull up the middle. It was OK, but did not pull up the edges uniformly. I then went and cut a hole in the grossgrain about 12" from the head end and put on a large cord lock. I went down to the foot end and added another hole, maybe 6" past that last loop, again adding a cord lock. I found that it really added to my comfort, as it seemed to better "cup" my torso, while leaving the legs wide. In fact, I could adjust the tension down the sides to get more of an asym pull on the UQ - Similar idea to the WL Snipe.

I liked the mod enough that I went and bought a bunch of micro cord locks from Lawson. Saved a couple ounces that way.

I contacted Adam about the mod, but I don't know what he thinks.

I just edited this to add the photos:

One shows my new Incubator 40* with my trial biners in the background. My modified Incubator 40* with the micro cord locks is in the forefront.

The second photo shows the foot end, where I added the shock cord to the middle loop. You can see the size of the new draft collars. If you look down the length of that one, you can see how I pulled up the right shoulder area by putting more tension on my micro cord locks down that side.

Whadda ya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boomer; 04-03-2012 at 21:39.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ...It seems that the new one is more likely to shift off my legs, as the shock cord doesn't cause the sides to "cup" the hammock as much. In fact, I'd say that if anything it is too loose. When laying in the hammock, the edges "fall down" - meaning that the edge seams fold over....
    I have noticed that with the new suspension, the UQ slips off of my shoulder any time I move a little. I never had this problem with the old style and hadn't figured out the cause yet. You may have "hit the nail on the head".

My new style is an Incubator with the leg section shortened 12" so the suspension goes above my ankle and can't slip off there.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    if desired, and harking on the past--- is the UQ still designed such that one could referb. to the old style----- running cord through a side channel, creating the 'rail system'?
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    if desired, and harking on the past--- is the UQ still designed such that one could referb. to the old style----- running cord through a side channel, creating the 'rail system'?
    I believe so. Looking at mine, it appears that 10-20 minutes with a stitch ripper would remove the end tabs that hold the line locks leaving the grosgrain channel open on the end. Alternately, a hole could be placed (burned?) just behind this tab allowing access to the channel and the use of either method.

Don't take me wrong here...I suspect lots of hangers will like this suspension and I simply may not have it dialed in yet.

As I stated earlier, I hate changes in something that has worked for me and it can take me a while to warm up to them.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lots of great suggestions. I don't think I noticed the gap because I often stuff my ride pants under my knees and legs on cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    The other mod I added to the hammock was a draft collar at the foot end of the UQ. See this thread, post #14.
    This sounds excellent. I'm wary of adding more quilt though...the whole idea of the 3/4 starts to loose purpose. I like the idea of velcro-ing a tube full of socks or a shirt in place, so it becomes a good storage solution for the day's dirty clothes. That solves two problems!!
    --

Clarification: the old big shock cord was to heavy because they were too long, so they were replaced by shorter shock cord that is too thin. Anyone try the new suspension with the old shock cord? Or, as mentioned, replace some of the shock cord on either suspension with a lighter (non stretchy) line like we use tarp tensioners?

Also, if one has a wind/rain shield underneath, or even the old school trash-bag-at-the-foot-end, will it effectively negate this gap problem, or does your body then need to warm the whole secondary air compartment too?
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    ...Also, if one has a wind/rain shield underneath, or even the old school trash-bag-at-the-foot-end, will it effectively negate this gap problem, or does your body then need to warm the whole secondary air compartment too?
    This, I think. While it would block wind from making it worse, any movement you make may pump air in and out of gaps.

I'm currently playing with 1/8" shock cord and using the quilt on an 11' hammock. I think the longer hammocks also compound suspension problems if you don't want to use "triangle thingies" or the equivalent.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I didn't realize HG went to lighter duty bungee with the new system. That sounds like a mistake to me. The old bungees with the shorter lengths of the new system works well. For my mod I cut up and used the original bungees.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think it was something to do with cold weather and stretch and becoming less effective anyway; but, maybe they could chime in here...

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Being new and having no experience, having just gotten a HG Incubator and not knowing what is good or bad/right or wrong, you guys have me confused and concerned. Not being critical, I just don't know what to look for or what to modify if anything because I have nothing to compare it to.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    David, its all about the fit. You'll probably have to do several 'test' hangs to get it dialed in. Basically, if your out in really cold weather and you feel a cold spot somewhere on your backside, then the UQ needs to be adjusted to fit closer to your body. Ideally, the UQ would be moulded to the bottom of the hammock (now there's an idea - bond the two together? Probably been tried by someone, sometime?)

I found that when I was laying in mine, I got a cold spot between my shoulder blades. I reached in along the edge (between my hammock & UQ) and found that there was about 2" of space. This allows the air to move the heat away from your body, instead of the down holding the heat in place (just like an XL down coat on a size XS person).

When you get the fit tweeked (adjusting various cords on the UQ & possibly the angle of the hammock itself), you'll find you're warm on your entire backside. When you lay asym to the hammock itself, it requires a little more tweeking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast