DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hennessys and pads

I currently use an ENO DN but it doesn't play very well with pads.

I am a really warm sleeper, and find that a pad, coupled with my sleeping bag works really well as a 3 season set up for me...when the pad can stay put.

I have some REI gift cards and a members 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket. So before I spend them on something else, I wanted to see how Hennessy Hammocks get along with pads.

As always, thanks in advance for all the positive and constructive information I know I am going to receive!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    probably about the same way. They slip around.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    REI can be very enticing when one starts hammocking. But when one attempts to lighten their pack weight, REI is a source of many regrets and heartaches.

Most of us have bought an underquilt and regret the money we spent on pads. REI has great stuff for camping, and even hiking, but not so much for hammocking. But, the 20% would be a nice discount on a Hennessy, and UQ's work fine with Hennessy. A very nice UQ will run about $189, and while that sounds expensive, my Ridgerest was about $35, my sleeping bag was $250, my ____________ was.....

Basic economics tells us that any money spent on an item other than an UQ, takes away from money that can be used towards an UQ. Most HF members did as poorly in economics as I, but we are now enlightened.
    Last edited by Trooper; 03-27-2012 at 20:54.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Standard
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    WS & Toggle
    I think it is more about the bag. For several years I used a Big Agnes bag with a sleeve for the pad in the HH. It worked well but I've since changed to an UQ and TQ because of the hassle of getting in/out of the bag.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    REI can be very enticing when one starts hammocking. But when one attempts to lighten their pack weight, REI is a source of many regrets and heartaches.

Most of us have bought an underquilt and regret the money we spent on pads. REI has great stuff for camping, and even hiking, but not so much for hammocking. But, the 20% would be a nice discount on a Hennessy, and UQ's work fine with Hennessy. A very nice UQ will run about $189, and while that sounds expensive, my Ridgerest was about $35, my sleeping bag was $250, my ____________ was.....

Basic economics tells us that any money spent on an item other than an UQ, takes away from money that can be used towards an UQ. Most HF members did as poorly in economics as I, but we are now enlightened.
    I do really well with a pad. I know UQs are really comfortable, but I rarely do winter/cold weather camping and I believe, for me, that a UQ in the spring/summer/fall would be uncomfortable.

I was inquiring if pads stayed put better with Hennessys compared to my ENO. Maybe I should look into a pad extender rather than changing my rig.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fat2Pedal View Post
    I think it is more about the bag. For several years I used a Big Agnes bag with a sleeve for the pad in the HH. It worked well but I've since changed to an UQ and TQ because of the hassle of getting in/out of the bag.
    I don't use my sleeping bag in the traditional sense in my hammock. I drape it over me like a blanket in a bed, and lay on the pad. Sort of a change from what it sounds like you're describing.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    If only the pad movement bothers you, you can always add lines or dots of 100% silicone to the underside of the pad. They help to keep it in place pretty well.

What type of pad are you currently using? I prefer ccf pads over inflatables in a hammock for a few reasons, but one is that the ccf is far grippier than the nylon shell of the inflatable and thus did far less skating around. I never tried an SPE, but wondered if encasing ccf in a nylon shell would cause the same issue. Ccf can be a bit clammy if laid on directly though.

As far as the Hennesys go, I'd think they would be relatively the same as the Eno in regards to pad stability. I had a BPUL but have never tried an Eno. Being on the smaller side (the hammock) for me at 5'11" I never had much trouble with a pad sliding around on me - wasn't much room for it to slide anywhere The explorers are a bit larger for taller individuals if you fit that description, but of course a bit heavier as well. You certainly can't go wrong with REI's return policy if you decide it doesn't meet your needs.

You can always try an inexpensive solution like the silicone, or some have reported success with the rubbery shelf liner as well before spending your gift cards, and if it works, spend that money on something else
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 03-28-2012 at 10:37.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    If only the pad movement bothers you, you can always add lines or dots of 100% silicone to the underside of the pad. They help to keep it in place pretty well.

What type of pad are you currently using? I prefer ccf pads over inflatables in a hammock for a few reasons, but one is that the ccf is far grippier than the nylon shell of the inflatable and thus did far less skating around. I never tried an SPE, but wondered if encasing ccf in a nylon shell would cause the same issue. Ccf can be a bit clammy if laid on directly though.

As far as the Hennesys go, I'd think they would be relatively the same as the Eno in regards to pad stability. I had a BPUL but have never tried an Eno. Being on the smaller side (the hammock) for me at 5'11" I never had much trouble with a pad sliding around on me - wasn't much room for it to slide anywhere The explorers are a bit larger for taller individuals if you fit that description, but of course a bit heavier as well. You certainly can't go wrong with REI's return policy if you decide it doesn't meet your needs.

You can always try an inexpensive solution like the silicone, or some have reported success with the rubbery shelf liner as well before spending your gift cards, and if it works, spend that money on something else
    I am a short guy. At 5'6, if I could only lose 10 lbs I could easily fit within the 150lb weight restrictions of the Scout...

I was looking at the Expedition, as REI sells a zip version of it.

This is the pad I was going to buy for use in it. I usually use one of the entry level ccf blue pads.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I used a thermarest prolite and a Big Agnes inflatable in my HH - no problems. Pads stayed put once I got them where I wanted them. come to think of it... so did I.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I have carried a blue foam pad around with me numerous times, attempted to use it a few times, and have thrown it out of the tent in the middle of the night after every attempt. A couple of those nights I could have used the extra insulation. Some nights I just decided it wasn't that cold. But in all cases, the pad was more hassle than it was worth. There are solutions, I know. One is to put it in the sleeping bag with you, but that doesn't work in my mummy bag. One is a sleeping bag with a pad sleeve, which I've been considering. But I think what I'm really going to do is buy the Super Shelter in the next few days. The pad is also the bulkiest part of my gear, and I'd be happy to be rid of it. Although I did manage to use it once on a very stretched out hang where I couldn't get enough height to keep my butt off the ground.

REI coupon: I think I used mine on a Hennessy when I got that hammock a couple of years ago. The hammock coupon took around $20 off of the price. If I had bought it from Hennessy, I think they would have thrown in a $20 set of snake skins, which I am now considering buying. Something to keep in mind if you think snake skins might be in your future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast