WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

Newbie looking for hammock suggestions

OK, newbie to hammocks and have been reading a ton this past week. Thats about all I've been doing...... Too much dang information to take in
    So I've narrowed it down to a few but the costs are whats getting me on a couple. Plus I have a few questions.
    I'm 5'6" 195 currrently and my son 10 yrs old 85lbs. We live in Berea, Kentucky and will do mostly weekend camping and some week long hike/camping with the Scouts.
    1. Do you lay at an angle with all hammocks?
    2. Which ones are mostly lay flay because I have a really bad back, hence wanting to go to the trees.
    3. Dont want to go overboard on costs but dont want to get something that I wont like and will have to get something else in the future.
    4. I hear about underquilt/overquilts? Do you use these with sleeping bags? I have a military newer bag system (light is good to 30' and mid to 5' both to -50')
    5. I also have the military woobie blankets that I love, light and you can use for pillow. Are these any good for underquilts)?

Now on to the hammocks I'm looking at.
    1. HH Scout for him $100

2. HH Expedition Asym zip for me - has everything we need (would like to upgrade to whoopie slings and 2qzq upgrade. Do these lay flat?
    $160 hammock, $15 slings, $70 zipper upgrade (anything else I would need?)
    Total cost $245 Give or take

2. BB DL 1.1 for me - still would need a tarp, slings?
    $175 hammock, $15 slings?, tarp not sure $100-$130
    Total cost $300 Give or take

3. Switchback 1.1 DL - Still would need tree attachment and tarp, Whoopie slings?
    $190 hammock, $15 slings?, tree straps $30, $130 tarp?
    Total cost $350 Give or take

Anything I might be missing? Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm built almost exactly like you. 5'6", somewhere in the 190-200 lbs range.

The expedition probably isn't the route you want to go when it comes to the HH hammocks.

I'd suggest the Explorer Deluxe, and get the hex tarp with it when you buy it.

That's my solution, works great for me. Runs you about $200 for the complete system.

You can use your sleeping bag system with the hammock, no problem. It's a little tough to get in and out of a bag, but doable, and you can get away with less under insulation.

Not as familiar with the other hammocks...but most everyone likes their Clark's and/or Warbonnets, so don't think you can go wrong going with any of these options.

Oh...and you can get a side-zip version of the hennessy hammocks now, so might not need the 2QZQ mod. Don't take me wrong...I love the full Mod #4, just saying it's something you can get later if that's your choice.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Go with the Blackbird.

1. Do you lay at an angle with all hammocks?
    You lay at an angle in any gathered end hammocks (BB, ENO ect). Bridge hammocks allow you to lay in line with the hammock

2. Which ones are mostly lay flay because I have a really bad back, hence wanting to go to the trees.
    I also have a bad back and find the BB double very comfortable.

$15 slings?,
    Get the BB with adjustable straps and use Dutch Clips, makes for fast easy set up.

3. Dont want to go overboard on costs but dont want to get something that I wont like and will have to get something else in the future.
    The Blackbird is a great choice and if for some reason you do decide to sell it you can sell it here on the forum for almost what you paid for it. Most BB's sell in under a day. No other hammock can make that claim. My wife and I both use BB's when we camp out.

4. I hear about underquilt/overquilts? Do you use these with sleeping bags? I have a military newer bag system (light is good to 30' and mid to 5' both to -50')
    Tarp = rain fly
    Hammock = tent
    Top Quilt = sleeping bag
    Under Quilt = ground pad

Sleeping bags can be used in a hammock but in a slightly different fashion. Open up the bag and use it as a TopQuilt (TQ). Trying to get into the sleeping bag and zip it up once you are in the hammock is not practical.

I have a 35 year old North Face Ibex down mummy bag that I use as a TQ. I unzip it part way so I have a foot box and stay nice and warm but it is a bit heavy so I have invested in some dedicated TQ's/

You must also use some sort of insulation under you as you will compress the bottom of the sleeping bag if sleeping on it and it will not provide any insulation and you will get CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome). You can use a a foam pad or UnderQuilt (UQ) to provide the bottom insulation. The UQ is hung under the hammock so you do not compress it so it will provide insulation. Of the two an UQ is more comfortable.

5. I also have the military woobie blankets that I love, light and you can use for pillow. Are these any good for underquilts)?
    I use a military poncho liner all the time as a TQ during warmer months and as and extra blanket in the winter. You can use them as a pillow ect. Many people have converted poncho liners into UQ . Most report they are only good in the 40's.

Strongly recommend you attend a group hang in your area to see other hangers rigs and ask ??'s
    Last edited by gunner76; 03-28-2012 at 18:17.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    thanks guys for the replys, is there a place to find group hangs in certain areas?

Also, the bb is looking very good right now. I do like the idea of the extra footbox and shelf built in.

Anything else I might need (buy) or make for this thing that would make it even better?

I know this is a hammock forum but what other type lightweight stuff you all use for hiking/camping? I'm looking to lose weight anywhere I can.

My pack was 30 lbs and his was 18lbs. First thing I did with my son was go through all of our stuff we took and decided what we took that we didnt need/could do without.

Already going with titanium sporks, aluminum guy line spikes (aluminum fence wire-already the shape and long as its not too rocky they work great and very cheap), titanium/aluminum cooking sets, making my own small cook stove (he has to use approved ones), and a few other things I'm forgetting.

thanks all

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    thanks guys for the replys, is there a place to find group hangs in certain areas?

Also, the bb is looking very good right now. I do like the idea of the extra footbox and shelf built in.

Anything else I might need (buy) or make for this thing that would make it even better?

I know this is a hammock forum but what other type lightweight stuff you all use for hiking/camping? I'm looking to lose weight anywhere I can.

My pack was 30 lbs and his was 18lbs. First thing I did with my son was go through all of our stuff we took and decided what we took that we didnt need/could do without.

Already going with titanium sporks, aluminum guy line spikes (aluminum fence wire-already the shape and long as its not too rocky they work great and very cheap), titanium/aluminum cooking sets, making my own small cook stove (he has to use approved ones), and a few other things I'm forgetting.

thanks all
    for all the extra hiking/camping stuff, you should check out the donating members section. It only costs a ten dollar donation to the site, and it allows you into all of the off-topic forums. I really enjoy the off-topic section; money well spent in my opinion. discussions include backpacks, cutlery, cooking, paddling, clothing, and lots of other cool stuff.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Well, just bought a used hh scout for my son. Now got to figure out what I want l

• + New Posts