Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flight_chick View Post
    <---------Did not want to miss out on seeing this waterfall again because of the lack of a tarp. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ya'll really come thru in a pinch. Hopefully I can make a purchase tomorrow, try it out in the yard, and be good to go for the trip.
    Where is this waterfall?

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    I have never been to Harbor Freight, but there is one about 45 miles from me. Looks like a place to check out tomorrow. Thanks!!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Is there a TSC or something similar in your area? They usually carry the green or brown one side/green one side poly tarps. They even have camo poly (at least around here).

Tyvek is another option. Just hit up a builder in your area and ask if he has any decent sized scraps. Apparently washing it with a couple tennis ball helps the wind noise.

I suppose that you could even use super six vapour barrier, which would give you that tarpless feel for star gazing, though condensation may be more of an issue.

Remember the 'marble trick' is a better option than using grommets, as the grommets have a tendency to pull out.

Good luck and have a ball!

Hey, invite your sister and have her bring your tarp!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    Where is this waterfall?

Shnick
    Virgin Falls is outside of Sparta, TN. Its an underground stream that emerges from a cave, then drops over a 110-foot high cliff before disappearing into another cave at the bottom of the sink. Beautiful place!!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Is there a TSC or something similar in your area? They usually carry the green or brown one side/green one side poly tarps. They even have camo poly (at least around here).

Tyvek is another option. Just hit up a builder in your area and ask if he has any decent sized scraps. Apparently washing it with a couple tennis ball helps the wind noise.

I suppose that you could even use super six vapour barrier, which would give you that tarpless feel for star gazing, though condensation may be more of an issue.

Remember the 'marble trick' is a better option than using grommets, as the grommets have a tendency to pull out.

Good luck and have a ball!

Hey, invite your sister and have her bring your tarp!
    TSC is even closer. I don't know what the marble trick is, but gonna search that one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog.../result?q=Tarp

3 pages of tarp stuff see if any thing will work for you before you make the trip.
    Can do a search and usually find a 20% off one item too.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    TSC is even closer. I don't know what the marble trick is, but gonna search that one.

Check out this video at 1:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSV...eature=related He is using it on canvas, but it works with other materials , such as poly, as well. In a pinch, round stones ( you don't want to poke a hole through ) or even clods of dirt can be used.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    The marble trick is putting a marble or smooth stone inside the tarp where you want to use a tieout. You then push out on the tarp with the marble/stone and wrap cord around the ball on the outside of the tarp. It'll sort of look like a tootsie roll pop.

I know there are probably better pictures on the forum here somewhere, someone may be able to point to you to a better tutorial.

edit: beaten with a much better explanation. Maybe you can use suckers in a pinch though if you end up having too many of those and no smooth rocks haha

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I believe I've read about an actual sil-nylon tarp being sold at Wal-mart in the camping department, but I can't seem to find the thread about it. It would be a heck of a lot lighter than the average polyethylene tarp. If not there, if you're anywhere near Brentwood, you could pick up a cheap sil-nylon tarp at the REI there.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Ended up with the Brown tarp from TSC. Thanks to all for the advice! Trip report posting soon.

100_1028.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast