Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Checking in from the AT

Hey there HFs family...Miguel here checking in from the famous Ron haven's Budget Inn in Hiawasse GA. This place rocks! I had a cold one in my hand from the second my feet hit the ground in the parking lot!

The trip has been going well albeit a bit slower than I would have lied. I hooked up with a couple and the wife has been having knee problems. They both left the trail the other day and I have been hiking solo for the past couple of days. My distance doubled immediately.

Overall we've had good weather but very high winds at night. Papa Smurfs dangerbird with the weathershield has been a blessing. The wind was howling the other night but I was snug as a bug inside. The hammock was literally bouncing up and down. I didn't think the Big Daddy tarp was was going to make it but it did. I pulled a reall dumb rookie move that night and didn't thread one of my straps properly through the Dutch clip and the bottom of the clip ripped a hole in the strap. Luckily it didn't set me on my butt and I was in Hiawasse the next day. Not much in the way of gear here so a ratchet strap from the hardware store will have to do until I can get a bonafide replacement....that bright yellow strap just doesn't look right on that dangerbird.

Anyway I'm off tomorrow headed to Franklin NC...finally leaving the great state of GA. Experiencing the thru-hiker community has been awesome...it's one of the best parts of the trip. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my fellow hiker/hammocker Hugh who left springer the same day. True story...after a day or so we discovered Hugh left on his hike with an Eno hammock....much to our dismay that's about all he had. We discovered he brought a mylar blanket in place of a sleeping bag...no pad....no underquilt...four ft straps with no biners or way of adjusting....no stove and all cotton clothing. I schooled him as much as I could and the good folks at Neels Gap hooked him up with some free or greatly reduced gear. Rumor is he's still on the trail.

Happy trails, Miguel

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Great job Miguel, keep up the walk. Hopefully Hugh is squared away and can do the thru hike. We are with you in spirit... Ih ope your wife is doing better.
    "No whining in the woods"

stay at Ron Haven's motels once you hit Franklin. He will take good care of you
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Be hungry when you hit Franklin; lots of restaurants in that town!!!
    Enjoy your ride on the Short Bus with Ron and be sure he tells you about his days as a professional wrestler; there be pictures too!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just a quick update from my hammock. I'm ten miles outside of Franklin tonight...temps will be in the twenties....same as last night but no wind tonight. I'll be at the Budget Inn tomorrow night, then on to NOC. Before i know it ill be at fontana. Did a 14 miler today....17 yesterday...feet are talking to me and not with a friendly tone!

Miguel from the trail. Updated some pics to my trail journal.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Another quick update...everyone has been holing up in Gatlinburg due to snow and ice on the mountain....including me. Have been staying the past two days at the lovely Grand Prix, soaking up all that GBurg has to offer. (: Most all are heading back to the trail today even though the forecast is pretty rotten. It's supposed to start warming again tomorrow....sure hope so! I\ll stop at Standing Bear for supplies and then on to Hot Springs. A hiker was arrested the other day at the Fontana Hilton for threatening other hikers with a knife. I was at the Hike Inn so missed all the excitement...trail was abuzz for a couple of days. Seems he was 17 and got drunk on a bottle of wine.

The forest leading to Clingman's Dome was awesome...my favorite hiking day of the trip. Lots of old growth mossy trees and the ever present fog.

Have a good one, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Good luck and safe travels.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thanks for the update Miguel, sounds like great fun. I hope you get back on the trail soon. Watch out for those crazy teens with alcohol. It is nice to follow along with you on this thread, as I sit here at work behind a desk.
    Enjoy the trail and the great outdoors.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Well...I've had a little delay with my adventure. I hiked into Hot Springs on April 27th completing my first day over 20 miles (21.5 actually...but who's bragging). Due to medical complications with a family member I have had to leave the trail for about a week or so. Problem is....that put me off my schedule to arrive at Trail Days in time. Solution is....I'm driving to Damascus Sunday and will have someone shuttle me down the trail about 100 miles which will put me right back on schedule. After Trail Days I'll make up the section below that starting at Hot Springs...about 95 miles.

The hike has been a lot of fun so far...loved staying at Standing Bear and Elmer's in Hot Springs. Papa Smurfs Dangerbird has treated me well. The weathershield was a blessing during the spell of really bad weather we experienced. I picked up a new Osprey Atmos 65 in Hot Springs and am loving it.

I do have one question....do you think I would be safe switching out my 20 degree Incubator now for Mac's IX underquilt? I'm looking to save a bit of weight and the concern over keeping the down UQ dry.

See you at Trail Days.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just a quick update to say I've arrived in Damascus and look forward to seeing all you fellow hammockers at Trail Days. On a side note...when I was just short of Kincora the tree my hammock was suspended from broke two feet from the base and fell directly on my hammock, missing me by inches. Frankly it was a miracle it missed me. I was trapped in the hammock for about twenty minutes, nearly having to cut my way out. I have pics which I will post later. It happened after a long day and I was very tired. Choose your trees well my friends!

I also was given the trail name of Cat in the Hat because of my stingy brim Pork Pie hat I've been sporting lately.

Later, The Cat in the Hat (Miguel) check out the journal at www.postholer.com hiker name Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123