Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I loves me my whoopies/toggles/straps. Often will use trail sticks or whatever as toggles, no biggie. Worst problem is the chance of leaving straps behind. If I can't hang because the trees are too close together, I couldn't have hung my tarp properly anyways, so <shrugs>.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use just webbing & cinch buckles on one of my hammocks and totally appreciate their simplicity.

Oldgringo's post made me stop and think about the closely spaced tree scenario, which I have encountered more than once. It has prompted me to come up with a tweak for my suspensions with whoopies.

That is to use a larger continuous loop on the end of the hammock such that I can bypass the Whoopie altogether. I can attach the loop directly to the tree strap using a Marlin spike, Dutch buckle or Elephant trunk. The continuous loop simply needs to be large enough to get over the Marlin spike, etc.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I use just webbing & cinch buckles on one of my hammocks and totally appreciate their simplicity.

Oldgringo's post made me stop and think about the closely spaced tree scenario, which I have encountered more than once. It has prompted me to come up with a tweak for my suspensions with whoopies.

That is to use a larger continuous loop on the end of the hammock such that I can bypass the Whoopie altogether. I can attach the loop directly to the tree strap using a Marlin spike, Dutch buckle or Elephant trunk. The continuous loop simply needs to be large enough to get over the Marlin spike, etc.
    Nice!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    I had not thought about being able to use trees that were closer together just because of the suspension type. I will have to fiddle with that starting tomorrow. Taking the BB and the Traveler with me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    On my recent dog sledding trip in the BWCA I found that the dynglide whoopies didn't adjust very well. Either the small diameter &/or cold just made adjustments very difficult. So I am considering cinch buckles. See "Hammocks & Huskies" in Trip Reports. Deep snow & cold made warm weather hanging techniques difficult.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejeans View Post
    On my recent dog sledding trip in the BWCA I found that the dynglide whoopies didn't adjust very well. Either the small diameter &/or cold just made adjustments very difficult. So I am considering cinch buckles. See "Hammocks & Huskies" in Trip Reports. Deep snow & cold made warm weather hanging techniques difficult.
    I just switched out my strap/cinch buckles winter suspension because it was too hard to "undo" in the cold. Regular whoopie slings are standard for me now year-round, but I have never tried the dynaglide whoopies.

FWIW, whoopies made of 1/8" amsteel are easier for my fat fingers to manipulate than the 7/64" amsteel. My head says there shouldn't be much difference, but my first-hand experience is different.

YMMV!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is so hard for an old school guy like me to change.
    I removed my clark ropes for about a year and tried to use webbing instead with Tri-Glides and it just was not for me.
    I have a Clark Hammock and I am back to using the std. Clark ropes and drip rings.
    ( With a 2 inch wide Tree Strap)
    I like it!! Just like finding a long lost friend
    But anyways, I just got a pair of whoopies, but I just can't get up the nerve yet to try em!! Such tiny little things compaired to the Clark rope.
    Here is how the clark ropes work for a fast hang with the drip ring VIDEO
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I too loved my WB straps, but in order to cut weight, I invested in Whoopieslings.com's All-In-One system. And do I love it! Everything is permanently attached, WBBB to whoopies, whoopies to straps, straps to tree via version 2 of Dutch clips. Everything is attached, no fear of losing anything and no fuss. No more playing with the triangle rings of my old WB straps when I want to lower a side. I simply wrap my Dutch clip end of the strap around a tree, hook it on, and adjust my height via the whoopies.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    SpinnUL Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Blue pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Whew, I thought I was the only one too! While I appreciate the weight savings and cool factor that the whoopie setup on my Hennessy affords, I have had the problem as others have with trees too close together. While this can be overcome, I think the keyword for any mechanical system should be "simple."

I use the warbonnet straps and buckles setup and couldn't be happier. I use carabiners and tree straps, and if I lost or broke those, I could just tie the hammock straps directly to the trees.

Fewer parts and less complexity for me means less things to go missing, fewer pieces to fail, and nothing to forget. This forum is full of awesome ideas and really ingenious ways to make things as light as possible, but I'm willing to trade a few ounces to have a system that uses less parts and fewer steps to hold my 250 lbs in the air over and over again.

Sometimes I see people go all out with clips and toggles and strings to fix a problem that I didn't know was there, and I just prefer to "Keep It Simple Stupid!"

Of course if I were a UL hiker I would have a much different take on things...everybody's got a different way to hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234