Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    That's one thing I am glad I learned as well. I started tying my tarp up with knots, but the tarpflys have me spoiled now. I will be in the hammock 6 nights next week to escape "Masters" traffic in Augusta, so I plan to polish my skills on the knots while I am out there.

The WB system can actually be done without carabiners as well, just takes a little more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    For sure.

I've used all kinds of hardware for tarps as well as my hammock but lately I just like tying knots and hitches. Initially I just liked knowing knots in case hardware got lost or broken but these days I find tying everything up without hardware to be very satisfying. Maybe its just a tiny step towards being more bushcrafty.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Gizmos for three seasons, straps and buckles for Winter (my cold fingers dont like to be messing around with whoopies)

S

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I took off the whoopies and use straps from Harbor Freight with Elephant Trunks. I love this setup and use it on all my hammocks now. So easy, and less to keep up with. I find I would rather simplify things.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Agreed on not mutually exclusive. Also consider I have my Hennessy and I play with other DIY stuff. Whoopies are easy when evaluating the DIY hammocks but I like webbing better for the Hennessy.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My preference (until Dutch invents something new) is as follow, starting from the hammock:
    Continuous loop (dynaglide)
    Whoopie Hook
    Whoopie Sling (dynaglide)
    5' Webbing (1" polyester)
    Dutch Clip

The system is lightweight and easily removable.
    The Whoopie Hook is built into the fixed end of the Whoopie sling.

The adjustable end is sewn into a closed loop in the of the tree strap. That setup means I don't have to do Marlin spikes with toggles (unless the distance between trees is too tight, then I can still do a Marlin using a stick from the ground).

So, two pieces of hardware (Dutch Clip & Whoopie Hook) and, for me, just as easy to adjust as a strap only system.

My tarp has a continuous ridgeline with the tarp permanently mounted on it with Klemheist loops. The only hardware are two Dutch Hooks. The first is fixed on one end in a bowline knot. The other Dutch Hook is in a Klemheist loop on the other end of the CRL which can be slid into position to set the length of the CRL to match the tree spacing. Finally, the tarp is slid along the CRL to line it up over the hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I was using whoopies, toggles and straps for a few years and being a big butt heavy hanger the darn things kept stretching. I made a pair of straps with sewn in loops to mock the paracord lines with knots every 6 inches or so and that worked wekk for a year or so. The bar tacks can weaken the straps though and on a recent trip I had one of those unpleasant middle of the night gravity induced decents to the snow. I made a shorter pair of straps and made a paracord daisy chain type suspension. The intent is to have a quick to adjust, limited stretch system. Field test is a few weeks away though.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    Sounds like a good setup!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    My preference (until Dutch invents something new) is as follow, starting from the hammock:
    Continuous loop (dynaglide)
    Whoopie Hook
    Whoopie Sling (dynaglide)
    5' Webbing (1" polyester)
    Dutch Clip

The system is lightweight and easily removable.
    The Whoopie Hook is built into the fixed end of the Whoopie sling.

The adjustable end is sewn into a closed loop in the of the tree strap. That setup means I don't have to do Marlin spikes with toggles (unless the distance between trees is too tight, then I can still do a Marlin using a stick from the ground).

So, two pieces of hardware (Dutch Clip & Whoopie Hook) and, for me, just as easy to adjust as a strap only system.

My tarp has a continuous ridgeline with the tarp permanently mounted on it with Klemheist loops. The only hardware are two Dutch Hooks. The first is fixed on one end in a bowline knot. The other Dutch Hook is in a Klemheist loop on the other end of the CRL which can be slid into position to set the length of the CRL to match the tree spacing. Finally, the tarp is slid along the CRL to line it up over the hammock.

I use a Hennessy Expedition, and until 3 months ago, I just tied the Hennessy knot into the tree straps. If I separated the stock tarp from the hammock and hung it on its own ridgeline, I tied it to the tree with a taught line hitch. I am thoroughly familiar with doing this, and so any modification can be appreciated readily. The only thing I have changed is the whoopie slings, which I connect via a marlin spike hitch. I know I am somewhat behind the curve here, but when I go camping, my main focus is not on the hammock suspension. I am there to hike, fish, relax, etc. I just want to not have to think about something that is really a tool to help me accomplish my goal.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think the point is a lot of us jumped off the curve. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast