Hennessee
    Tarp
    HH Tarp
    Insulation
    SSS
    Suspension
    Garda hitch

Super shelter

Leaving this weekend to do the Georgia Loop trail. I bought the HH super shelter especially for this trip as I figured the UQ would be too hot and since it will get down into the 40's at night this would be a good time to try just the SSS and a poncho liner. I have the big tarp in case it rains and am looking forward to seeing the mountain spring. I have a few thoughts/questions...
    1) as far as the tarp goes. I have read some suggest a ridge line, but the lines on the tarp are longer than my suspension line so I have just been tying it directly to the trees. Any probs with that? I am currently using stock suspension with beeners and rings for a Garda hitch (thanks to Trekkers great videos).
    2) the HH SSS comes with little plastic hooks to add to the suspension for the UC. However, my suspension already has hooks from the manufacturer on Prussic knots...are the new plastic hooks for older model hammocks? Or am I just not hanging my hammock up correctly?
    Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    To answer your questions in order:

1.) There isn't a problem, per se, in hanging the tarp from the trees directly rather than to a CRL. What you sacrifice is ease-of-set up. It's longer to tie and re-tie both suspension lines to adjust the center of the tarp over the hammock than it is to tie a CRL at both ends and then slide the tarp back and forth on the CRL to center it. Either way, the nylon triangles at each end of the ridgeline are taking the stress of supporting the tarp.

2.) I'm not familiar with the SuperShelter, but the plastic hooks on Prusiks are to attach the stock tarp to the hammock suspension. I'd assume that the hooks on the SuperShelter are there because it was meant to be used with the stock tarp. If that's true, then they aren't superfluous when used as designed. With you tying your tarp to the trees directly, then, yeah, they are.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few comments:
    1. Personally, I would freeze my butt off at 40 degrees in the North GA mountains using only the HH SS on the bottom and a poncho liner for a TQ.
    2. Your tarp... is it a hennessy asym tarp? If it's a standard HH asym tarp and you've never added a tarp ridgeline than something tells me that you're using the two side guy-outs/tie-outs as a ridgeline. The prussic with a mitten hook that is on the stock hammock ridgeline is intended to hook to each of the rings on the tarp. That is, the rings that don't have the factory tie-out line on it. If you do decide to add a ridgeline to the tarp than yes, there is totally nothing wrong with hanging the tarp directly to the trees.
    3. The little clips that came with the SS should have also come with a couple of small zip ties. The clips and the zip ties are attached to the hammock, not the suspension and then the SS is attached to the clips.

You should go to the HH website or youtube and watch the set-up videos. For me, a picture spells a thousand words and nothing beats hands-on.

Good luck to you and don't forget the map and compass. KP

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't understand - you have a UQ but you think it will be too hot and therefore you'd rather go with the SS? Isn't it easier to vent a UQ by opening the ends for ventilation?

I thought about a supershelter, but at $150, I just didn't see that as cost effective. With lows of 40 degrees, I would think the SS or UQ will work fine.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    The hooks on the prussics are for the tarp.
    you are suppose to add the other hooks for the super shelter.
    I have slept comfortably with the super shelter and a space blanket, and a 20 deg top quilt to 18 degrees several times.
    there is far less fiddling with a SS than an UQ.
    The ss is not for everyone, it is however a good option for some.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    You've got some good responses.

The extra hooks attach directly to the hammock suspension, and don't really "move around" like the ones already attached via the prussics. Look on youtube as well for how to install the HHSS.

I've used the HHSS without space blanket down to around 30 deg F. That's WITH a 15 or 20 deg sleeping bag, and usually my poncho liner as well. I've used it with the space blanket down to 22F, and could have gone lower.

But it doesn't work that well for everyone.

I'd heartily suggest trying a test run beforehand if at all possible. Much better to find the flaws in your gear from the safety of Ft Livingroom first.

Personally, I'd agree with just taking the UQ and venting it as needed, if you already have it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    .........The extra hooks attach directly to the hammock suspension,.....
    You're right Owl. It's been so long since I've used the HHSS that I forgot that the zip-tie goes on the suspension versus the tip of the bundle. I guess since it's placed butt up against the hammock bundle that my memory put it on the hammock. Anyway, thanks for bringing my memory back. What was the question again....

• + New Posts