SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up $16 Hammock

I finally got to hang my new $16 hammock from hammocks.com.

From the pics and what I received, it is just as TTTM, Trek, ENO HAAB double models. There is no labeling what so ever on it. Two cords came with it already in the end channels. No hooks.

The stitching was straight some places - very off line in others and some loose threads. Could these be seconds from the bigger name brands? Although all are the same color pattern - dark olive with light olive side pannels. Maybe they are what the manufacturere use to train the workers to sew?

I set it up and my bottom touched the ground. The included ropes stretch.

I re-tied my HF straps to the ropes right up nest to the fabric. Much less stretch. Very comfy, soft material, get nice flat lay on only slight diagonal. I could easily lay on my side or turn, sit, whatever and it all held my 260# fine.

HOWEVER the side panels flapped over the top closing it off. This would be great for cooler temps, but it got too warm and plus I couldn't see out.

Was I doing something wrong? It seems the side panels are almost too much material. What say you ENO DN users.

cc
    Last edited by campcrafter; 07-10-2008 at 15:08. Reason: to correct my poor typing
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Depending on the amount of sag, the sides of a HAAB hammock can be floppy. Try hanging with a little less sag and see what happens.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campcrafter View Post

HOWEVER the side panels flapped over the top closing it off. This would be great for cooler temps, but it got too warm and plus I couldn't see out.

cc

How about adding some side tieouts like a Hennessy? I did this to my one DIY hammock and it works nicely to keep hammock from closing off. But you still can't see out.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    It looks very similar to my Skeeter Beeter Pro, only without the bug netting. The tan sidewalls look longer on that one though, mine are only about 3 or 4 inches.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Yeah, with the double hammocks the sides can close over you if you don't have enough sag. Put a ridgeline on it, after you replace the stock cord. I plan on not using the channels on the ends, but whipping the end after gathering it around a center cord. The 'whipping' will be one or two plastic cable ties. The center cord will just be to have something to gather it around. Since I'm putting the cord in there anyway, I'll put a loop in the end that sticks inside the hammock to clip the ridgeline to with a carabiner, and to hold it from that stress I'll put a big knot, such as a Monkey Fist knot in the end sticking out the other side.

I agree that these look like seconds from the manufacture for the name brands. Well worth the price, and nothing I've seen so far compromises the hammock itself. Just the straightness of some of the sewing, and a few loose threads hanging outside of th rolled edges.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    How about adding some side tieouts like a Hennessy? I did this to my one DIY hammock and it works nicely to keep hammock from closing off. But you still can't see out.
    Thought of that - but did not have time to try it.

Also Has anyone noticed if it matter if the hammoc is hung up side down? It occurred to me after looking a HC4U TTTM pics that the stuff sack was backwards on my when I hung it.

cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I plan on not using the channels on the ends, but whipping the end after gathering it around a center cord. The 'whipping' will be one or two plastic cable ties.
    Hey that's a thought to solve my issue with the travel hammock side walls being uncomfortable when using the hammock as a chair. I guess I could just cinch up a bit more in the middle to even out the sag to edge tension to make it less painful across the back of the legs.

Images
    Would it be feasable to cut off the side panels?

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thought of that too! A stitch ripper would do the job. Might have to do some repair at the channels ends. I'm not quite ready to make that mod yet though.

cc
    Campcrafter

- John Muir

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I like the extra material on the sides b/c when it a little bit colder at night I take th attached bag which has my glasses, etc. in it and flop over me to enclose the hammock like a peapod.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast