ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps

My Do-All Suspension: 12' Tie Down Straps from Harbor Freight

I'm new here, so go easy. I'm just showing something I have found that works exceptionally well, but isn't going to be for the 'elite' guys here. But I have been lurking around long enough to see that there ARE some KISS-simple, lovers of inexpensive solutions that aren't afraid of things that weigh more than 1/2 a pound. So this is more for you guys.

I lurked for a bit last year and was baffled by the depth of complexity some of you take this hammock thing, and the amount of money you pay. MOST of which boils down to one thing: Weight.

I don't really care about weight. So this system might look ridiculous to whoopie slingers (I cut mine off to go to this), but for those on a budget, you'll appreciate this.

What you will see here is a $24 hammock from Walmart (which I LOVE), a set of 12' tie down straps from Harbor Freight Tools that cost $7.00 for both, a $40 Hammock-Bliss Tarp, One Rope Cinch Biner ($4) from Nite-Ize and Two Mad Dog Carabiners ($15). I COULD use one of my 10mil 8x11 brown tarps ($10) and the total cost of this setup would be $53.00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTw6w...endscreen&NR=1

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Tanner View Post
    I'm new here, so go easy. I'm just showing something I have found that works exceptionally well, but isn't going to be for the 'elite' guys here. But I have been lurking around long enough to see that there ARE some KISS-simple, lovers of inexpensive solutions that aren't afraid of things that weigh more than 1/2 a pound. So this is more for you guys.

I lurked for a bit last year and was baffled by the depth of complexity some of you take this hammock thing, and the amount of money you pay. MOST of which boils down to one thing: Weight.

I don't really care about weight. So this system might look ridiculous to whoopie slingers (I cut mine off to go to this), but for those on a budget, you'll appreciate this.

What you will see here is a $24 hammock from Walmart (which I LOVE), a set of 12' tie down straps from Harbor Freight Tools that cost $7.00 for both, a $40 Hammock-Bliss Tarp, One Rope Cinch Biner ($4) from Nite-Ize and Two Mad Dog Carabiners ($15). I COULD use one of my 10mil 8x11 brown tarps ($10) and the total cost of this setup would be $53.00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTw6w...endscreen&NR=1
    I'm primarily a car camper with the scouts. Looks like it would work. What size is that tarp? The only thing I would do is add a SRL. The SRL made a world of difference in my DIY gathered.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's a great setup and a big bang for the buck! Your equipment satisfies the objective you were going after. No shame there; as a matter of fact, that's wonderful!

Yes there are complex systems out there made of titanium, cuben, 7D, etc. and that stuff satisfies the objective of what they are after. It's all good if it gets you off the hard ground
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It's all good if it gets you off the hard ground
    +1!

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I use the lighter Harbor Freight cinch straps I got a pair for $3. I cut off the cinch buckle and added Elephant Trunks and hook them to the chain links on the hammock. Nice simple and both straps with Elephant Trunks weigh only 6 oz. I love how easy it is to set up also.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have found that works exceptionally well, but isn't going to be for the 'elite' guys here.
    Elite is a font size on an old fashioned typewriter. (Yep... I'm that old!!)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Not sure the size of the tarp...It's a Hammock Bliss Shelter. A little narrow on the width, but when I set it up this way it works good enough. I love these straps because I've found so many ways to set up with them. The eye on the hooks lets me hook everything into it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Whatevers Handy
    Insulation
    Homemade stuff
    Suspension
    Tie Down Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It's all good if it gets you off the hard ground
    No Doubt! I did a weekend survival outing a couple weeks ago to test a few new things. I'm a student of Dave Canterbury and I wanted to try this double wedge shelter that is supposed to keep you warm in low temps. It got down to 36 degrees that night. I couldn't sleep because I had to keep tending the fire and the ground was horrible. The next day I was ready to die.

I wrote a lengthy dissertation on my FB page about it. My conclusion? I think a hammock is a VITAL survival tool...seriously. Lack of sleep and the soreness of lying on the hard ground left me at less than half my ability the next day. If I was REALLY trying to survive, I wouldn't last long.

You never hear about hammocks in survival kits. Thats because those lists are usually made by people that think and not DO. You gotta test stuff out and see if it works for you. After multiple survival tests in multiple shelters, I am ADAMANT that hammocks should be an integral part of everyones emergency kit. If you dont have rest and are hurting, you can't do what you need to...plain and simple.

Sorry for going off track, but the words "hard ground" trigger me anymore!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am ADAMANT that hammocks should be an integral part of everyones emergency kit.
    I love this! I think I feel an emergency nap coming on
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    You never hear about hammocks in survival kits. Thats because those lists are usually made by people that think and not DO. You gotta test stuff out and see if it works for you. After multiple survival tests in multiple shelters, I am ADAMANT that hammocks should be an integral part of everyones emergency kit. If you dont have rest and are hurting, you can't do what you need to...plain and simple.

That is one thing that never seems to be addressed in the survival community, the value of a good night's sleep. Just as important as food and water.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast