Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    I have often wondered this my self. The military makes there guys do this but never had a chance to ask so I will be watching this post closely.
    Great question BillyBob58
    Hi folks. I'm new here and from norway so please be gentle with me

The military way to solve this problem. is to sh*t in a plastic bag an d pee in a bottle. That way you never have to leave your dry shelter. (or so i'm told.)

Greetings

Harstad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    Hi folks. I'm new here and from norway so please be gentle with me

The military way to solve this problem. is to sh*t in a plastic bag an d pee in a bottle. That way you never have to leave your dry shelter. (or so i'm told.)

Greetings

Harstad
    Well, actually kinda makes sense. Not ideal, but it works. I guess a water bottle and ziplock bag weigh less than rain gear. The military also issues Gortex field jackets. So if it is cold enough where getting wet isn't safe then they would usually have the gortex jacket with them.

Ok, the more I think about it, I don't think the military really even uses ponchos anymore. Gortex pants and jacket are standard now. They also have some really nice tents that they use instead of the old pup tents. So really the standard military unit does have rain gear and a tent.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Well, actually kinda makes sense. Not ideal, but it works. I guess a water bottle and ziplock bag weigh less than rain gear. The military also issues Gortex field jackets. So if it is cold enough where getting wet isn't safe then they would usually have the gortex jacket with them.

Ok, the more I think about it, I don't think the military really even uses ponchos anymore. Gortex pants and jacket are standard now. They also have some really nice tents that they use instead of the old pup tents. So really the standard military unit does have rain gear and a tent.
    I have seen people say that when they were in the military they got real friendly with there poncho and had to stay under them all night and it's been posted here but I can not find it in any search's i have done here. ugggggggg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I have seen people say that when they were in the military they got real friendly with there poncho and had to stay under them all night and it's been posted here but I can not find it in any search's i have done here. ugggggggg
    That's why people should add tags! Makes searching easier.

Images
    Yeah, I think the military just recently started dropping the ponchos. I had one in 2001, but not one in 2003. 2003 I got the gortex setup. They finally started to realize that a poncho kind of makes it hard to fight in. Gets in the way and catches on things. Plus if you have a rifle slung on guard duty and a poncho on, it isn't very easy to quickly unsling the rifle without the barrel catching on the poncho.

When a tent isn't practical in the military they just use rain gear and suck it up. Of course every branch is different so some may still use ponchos, but they are getting rare.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I'm thinking of getting a Gatewood Cape from Six Moons Designs to use as rain gear that will also keep my pack dry. It would double as emergency shelter if I'm somewhere I can't use trees. I see it as an additional option. The main reason I want it is for the rain protection. I am thinking a Gatewood Cape rather than an Integral Designs cape specifically because it has the shelter option, though.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    In Viet Nam, everyone tried in vain to remain dry their first Monsoon season. By the end of it and the entire second season the rain is just ignored. We simply shook our ponchos as dry as we could and covered up with them laying on the earth, no ground mats were in use back then. We would wake up for our watch with two or three puddles under us. Out butt, our shoulders and where our helmets were holding up our heads. I can still WILL myself to stop shivering I think. It got down to some pretty low temps in the mountains, I mean fifties maybe, but we were freezing at night.
    I HATE Ponchos.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    That's why people should add tags! Makes searching easier.
    This was done way before the tag feature

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used just about every type of raingear that ever hit the market. I finally tried a rain cape (mine's an Integral Designs Silcoat cape) and wouldn't think of using anything else. Much, much better than a poncho, keeps me and the pack completely dry (well, at least to the bottom of my hiking shorts), and gives wonderful ventilation. On many occasions I've hiked for hours in a downpour on a hot muggy day and still stayed dry and cofortable.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    I use a ID Silponcho as both my rain gear, pack cover while hiking, and my tarp. I also carry a windbreaker/rain jacket for around camp. It may not be ideal, (then again it may...), but I didn't see investing in additional rain gear for as little hiking as I do. If doing a distance or cold weather I may reconsider. I don't do a ton of hiking, and so far only short sections ~3 days or so. This last hike I had to both hike in the rain and set up camp in the rain - it worked well enough. Didn't have to "go" during the night, but I would probably consider the ground right below the hammock if the alternate was putting on rain gear or getting wet.
    Last edited by urbansix; 07-13-2008 at 08:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast