Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    my wife is the same way. I am trying to convince her to try a hammock... but I really don't know how she will respond to it
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    so there I was in a sporting goods store the other day, which I will keep anonymus and Refuse to Expose It's name, and I overhear this middle aged lady all dressed up like she is going on a dayhike, (if hiking the mall is on the menu that is..) and she asks the floor guy about some sleeping pads- "which one of these is the most comfortable" she asks while looking at the thermarests... and I had to hold my breath! (otherwise I could have been there for hours)
    my first thought was that its like looking at rollerskates and asking "which ones are fastest"
    answer: buy a corvette!
    so goes our battle. even on BPL it is still popular belief to think hammocking is silly or it cant be used as a real sheter. At least that's the perception I get.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    my wife is the same way. I am trying to convince her to try a hammock... but I really don't know how she will respond to it

Same here with my boyfriend. But I'm gonna try to be stealty about it. Gonna take it next time we go car camping together and put it next to the tent "just for afternoon naps," which I know he'll go for. Then I'll suggest he relax in it at dusk-thirty when we have the campfire going hoping he'll fall asleep in it and won't wake up til morning. Then I'm counting on him seeing the light for himself . . . .

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    note to self.... Happy Camper is sneaky....

hehehe

my wife won't go with me... period.... end of discussion. I am hoping to get that changed around but right now I wouldn't count on it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    it's also part of the "us vs them" mentality that exists throughout our culture. democrats vs republicans, christians vs w/e's, hangers vs tents vs tarps, SUL vs 25lb packers, all sports... for some reason our country likes to have people who do things differently than themselves so they can look down on them

on a more positive note, i had to LOL at bry's "if i don't sleep in the tent w/ her i don't love her" - such a true statement. i have a spacious, heavy (over 5lb) tent for when my girl comes out w/ me.
    Yeah, we can only go to "really nice camp grounds with running water, flush toliets, flat grounds, an air matress, seven days worth of food(for every two days that we are there) and all the 'necessities' of home when we go camping."

our tent has a screened in porch and weighs a ton...definitely overkill for just the two of us, but hey what can ya do? Some girls won't even do that much.

backpacking we have offically named man weekend.....which we will hopefully be turning into man week. Where no girls are allowed, haha.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    note to self.... Happy Camper is sneaky....

hehehe

Guilty! I think it comes from raising a teenager! Ya gotta let them think that it's their idea.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Amanda has tried backpacking and will never go there again, however, she loves car camping and sleeping in hammocks. We have small babies from time to time, and therefore have the huge family tent, complete with the queen size air matress . If we do not have any babies, then out comes the hammocks and the toddlers sleep with one of us adults. Our 2 year old sleeps with momma in a pullup diaper, and the 4 year old has his own hammock that we string right next to me.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Our 2 year old sleeps with momma in a pullup diaper,
    Now why would momma be in pullup diaper?

My wife tried 2 nights in a hammock over the past weekend. I was proud of her. First, she really wanted to be in New York City getting "culture" instead of in the Adirondacks. Second, she was in a hammock that wasn't the best because we've loaned out a couple of our better hammocks. Third, she wasn't real comfortable the first night but tried it again the second night and enjoyed it a bit more. I'm happy she hasn't given up.

One thing that helped out was that she was able to move from about a 4000 cubic inch pack to a 2000 cubic inch pack for the same time in the woods. Of course, she's learning to pack less but she also doesn't have to bring a pad and a tent and her two quilts pack down and weigh less than her sleeping bag.

I agree with others here - some folks will never like hammocking... and there's nothing wrong with that. All we can do is show others the light and let them decide if it's for them.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I feel badly for those folks with the long learning curve using a hammock. I never experienced that problem. I didnt have a website with the depth of information to mull over. I saw the HH on ebay, bought it, hung it up and slept comfortably. Yeah there was some wiggling to get in the sleeping bag the first time. I might add that I am 5'8' 170lb and I think hammocking is easier to adapt than a larger person.

I hope folks experiencing a learning curve stick with it. The benefits and enjoyment of hammock camping will far exceed any learning curve.

I see active outdoors people (like folks on this site ) are the ones looking for the better, easier, lighter option. Its our passion and we love to spend the countless hours researching and understanding all the options for outdoor adventuring. The 2x a yr camper may not have the passion, but enjoy the occasional car camping. Those folks are happy to have gear, even if it came from Wally World and takes a semi trailer to take it to the camp ground.

I have a bunch of buddies who tell me they love the outdoors and camping and yet they may only camp once a year. They all own gear we wouldnt consider using on a repeated basis.

When I camp with our cub scouts, I feel like I am at a circus with the size of the tents and all the gear folks bring.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    For the most part, most of us (always exceptions) believe what we are taught and seldom deviate. If we do, it is because some experience rattled our chains a bit and forced us to think outside of our reality, our filters of belief and experience. Some people take more rattling than others. My Dad was always rigging up some new way of doing something when it came to camping and taught me to be open to new ways, especially when it comes to being outdoors.

I am thankful for that, as it has allowed me to be more flexible than many of my peers. I am relatively new to hanging, and I love it. However, if need be, I will make a tent comfortable (as it can be). I just want to spend more time outdoors, bottom line.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast