Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I would agree with Goldbond. It is not the easiest thing to get into. First of all understanding what you want, and second figuring out how to use it. I just got a ENO double nest a few days ago and I'm surprised at how much I move around to get comfortable. Seems like any one position will last for a few minutes before something goes to sleep/gets numb and I have to shift. I'm not sure how anyone is able to get into a sleeping bag and roll over in the night. Sure I have 2 days experience and Im sure I will get better but there is a much larger learning curve to these and they tend to be heavier and more expensive than tents. One of the biggest arguments I have heard against tents is finding a level spot. I have about zero issue with this. Most backpacking tents are very small and you can find/clear an area for a tent in no time at all. As far as hammocks being more comfortable Im still working on that issue. I hike with a REI 3.5 pad which makes for some comfy nights on the ground. I threw it into my hammock yesterday and it would not lay flat. Seems like hammocks are a cool idea but has to be "your thing" to do it. I bought and ENO to see if I like hammocks. At this point I'm not sure if my new backpacking shelter will be a tent or a Clark hammock... Only time will tell
    It's kinda like tents. I must own 5 tents and have my favorite but I spent some money and time before I figured it out. I have a Mnt Hdw PCT-1 and wouldn't trade it for anything. That being said I now have a HH Explorer Deluxe A-sym and I think giving it time I will learn to love it as well. Just like with tents when I figure what all I want, ie; bug net, kind of tarp, pad, etc.The I will buy my keeper and you won't be able to pry it from my cold hands!

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can't buy a complete hammock at Wally world for everyone for the price of a cheap tent.

For those who really camp and trek and backpack - I predict many will see the light. Hammock camping is still in it's infancy and many of the "old-timers" here on the forum like you NEO and HC4U and Grizz and AngrySparrow to name a few, are the ones who have advanced the cause the most. Someday it will be a no brainer.

I'm sure guys who take their girlfriends camping will always opt for tent on the ground
    Last edited by campcrafter; 07-11-2008 at 10:14.
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by campcrafter View Post
    You can't buy a complete hammock at Wally world for everyone for the price of a cheap tent.

For those who really camp and trek and backpack - I predict many will see the light. Hammock camping is still in it's infancy and many of the "old-timers" here on the forum are the ones who have advanced the cause the most. Someday it will be a no brainer.

I'm sure guys who take their girlfriends camping will always opt for tent on the ground
    This is the only downfall I see with hammocking the gf will not let me use it with her around, haven't tried it yet but I know she won't. I have to be in the tent with her otherwise "I don't love her!".

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    It does take more than a few times to get the sag just right. To figure out the pad and/or under quilt. People have to learn that bags do not work and that they need to open them up like quilts. They are great, and I will never go back to a tent while backpacking, however it did take me a while. All I can say to those who are still having problems is to read all the threads you can old and new, PM people that have offered good advice for good advice, and don't give up after trying it just a few times.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    It does take more than a few times to get the sag just right. To figure out the pad and/or under quilt. People have to learn that bags do not work and that they need to open them up like quilts. They are great, and I will never go back to a tent while backpacking, however it did take me a while. All I can say to those who are still having problems is to read all the threads you can old and new, PM people that have offered good advice for good advice, and don't give up after trying it just a few times.

Dwight
    Preacher man you are so right. I have learned more in the last week or two since I found this site then I learned in a month on my own. I can't speak for everyone but there is no way I could ever give back as much as I have recieved from all of you on this site. I can't say thank you enough for all the information and everything. I know the first night I found this site I spent 3 hrs just looking at the pictures and reading the threads. The pics are worth a thousand words as I am more visual than anything else. Again, thanks to all of you for sharing!

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbond View Post
    Preacher man you are so right. I have learned more in the last week or two since I found this site then I learned in a month on my own. I can't speak for everyone but there is no way I could ever give back as much as I have recieved from all of you on this site. I can't say thank you enough for all the information and everything. I know the first night I found this site I spent 3 hrs just looking at the pictures and reading the threads. The pics are worth a thousand words as I am more visual than anything else. Again, thanks to all of you for sharing!
    Can't agree with you enough goldbond! This is probably the only forum on the net with people who are truly and genuinely here to help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbond View Post
    6 yrs ago, I happened on the HH website and bought one. I spent 6 yrs hanging on/off and I converted 5 or 6 buddies who have now converted another 15-20 people.
    6 months ago I found this site, bought a new hammock, modified it (thanks to creative people here) and hanging is brand new! I was never this satisfied with my HH (too each his own) and I'm opening the eyes of my fellow hangers AGAIN that there are more options than a HH Hex!

The knowledge of the DIYers and expiremental hangers on this site is outstanding! They have forgotten more about hammocks than I will ever know. But, I all I have to do is ASK, and they will share...
    the "information super highway" is amazing!

Maybe, but have you ever seen one of those hammock chairs?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    it's also part of the "us vs them" mentality that exists throughout our culture. democrats vs republicans, christians vs w/e's, hangers vs tents vs tarps, SUL vs 25lb packers, all sports... for some reason our country likes to have people who do things differently than themselves so they can look down on them

on a more positive note, i had to LOL at bry's "if i don't sleep in the tent w/ her i don't love her" - such a true statement. i have a spacious, heavy (over 5lb) tent for when my girl comes out w/ me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I would agree with Goldbond. It is not the easiest thing to get into. First of all understanding what you want, and second figuring out how to use it. I just got a ENO double nest a few days ago and I'm surprised at how much I move around to get comfortable. Seems like any one position will last for a few minutes before something goes to sleep/gets numb and I have to shift. I'm not sure how anyone is able to get into a sleeping bag and roll over in the night. Sure I have 2 days experience and Im sure I will get better but there is a much larger learning curve to these and they tend to be heavier and more expensive than tents. One of the biggest arguments I have heard against tents is finding a level spot. I have about zero issue with this. Most backpacking tents are very small and you can find/clear an area for a tent in no time at all. As far as hammocks being more comfortable Im still working on that issue. I hike with a REI 3.5 pad which makes for some comfy nights on the ground. I threw it into my hammock yesterday and it would not lay flat. Seems like hammocks are a cool idea but has to be "your thing" to do it. I bought and ENO to see if I like hammocks. At this point I'm not sure if my new backpacking shelter will be a tent or a Clark hammock... Only time will tell
    You both have good points. The truth is that every now and then, somebody just does not like it and goes back to the ground. And I agree that there is a learning curve, and it may be a bit different for each hammock. Ever notice how not only is there ground vs hammock debates, but there is hammock vs hammock? How one person is thrilled with brand X hammock while another person actually hates the same hammock? Or how one person loves a bottom entry while another person hates it?

And if that's not enough variation there was my total hatred of the HH and Super Shelter on my first night using it, to the point that I abandoned it for my Ridgerest on the ground! Then I ended up becoming quite a fan of the same. After the learning curve of both hammock and SS were dealt with. But it took me a few nights.

But admittedly, some folks never fully adapt, and prefer the ground. Good luck with your ( and Goldbonds) trials! I hope it comes together for you. But if it doesn't, well, even on the ground you are still out in the wilderness. So enjoy!

Images
    ......I'm sure guys who take their girlfriends camping will always opt for tent on the ground
    Yep, I don't see a way around that important aspect. However, my wife will have nothing more to do with backpacking or ground sleeping and she won't yet go for a hammock either. So for me it's buddies in that tent or under that tarp with me, after a week or more on the trail. And for various reasons I can do with out that, thank you very much!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast