SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    When I camp with our cub scouts, I feel like I am at a circus with the size of the tents and all the gear folks bring.
    Amen to that and Boy Scouts gets worse what with the huge Troop trailers and all. Yeah we had heavy gear when I was in Scouts - surplus army canvas wall tents, hefty patrol boxes, cots - but many of us started minimizing.

Heck I even tried hammock camping back then but those nylon fish net hammocks were none too comfortable.

I don't see how anyone who thinks a tarp is sufficient shelter on the ground wouldn't want to hang.

cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by campcrafter View Post
    Amen to that and Boy Scouts gets worse what with the huge Troop trailers and all. Yeah we had heavy gear when I was in Scouts - surplus army canvas wall tents, hefty patrol boxes, cots - but many of us started minimizing.

Heck I even tried hammock camping back then but those nylon fish net hammocks were none too comfortable.

I don't see how anyone who thinks a tarp is sufficient shelter on the ground wouldn't want to hang.

cc
    I agree! With 65 boys in the troop when we go somewhere it looks like a small town popped up. We now can only take our older boys ( first class and at least 14 yrs old) back country and we have to go to a designated campground if we take the whole troop. We are lucky in this area as to have alot of people with large amounts of land that we can use!
    Last edited by goldbond; 07-11-2008 at 15:32. Reason: spelling error

instead of wondering why just get out and enjoy the outdoors. Isn't that what it is all about?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    instead of wondering why just get out and enjoy the outdoors. Isn't that what it is all about?
    Yeah, but this is what we do to pass the time at work!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campcrafter View Post

cc
    thanks for pointing that out.. thats exactly how I got to where I am today

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Hammocks are awesome. The best thing ever. I only hike so I can use my hammock. I own 75 hammocks and rotate through all of them. Sometimes I hike with 2 hammocks. I am thinking about picking up canoing so I have another excuse to hang my hammocks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I don't camp very much. I'm much more of a archery hunter than hiker or camper. When I started looking into camping gear for an upcoming archery trip to Colorado, hammocks just seemed to make MUCH more sense than a tent. I didn't have to change my tent mentality as I didn't have one.

If you're only spending time in the tent/hammock sleeping, why not be more comfortable? The pros so outnumber the cons.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Hammocks are awesome. The best thing ever. I only hike so I can use my hammock. I own 75 hammocks and rotate through all of them. Sometimes I hike with 2 hammocks. I am thinking about picking up canoing so I have another excuse to hang my hammocks.

Dang Coffee you are a hardcore hammocker Which two do you carry with you

'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    You're only in Ohio - come with us to Michigan in September on our canoe trip - we'll show you the light! It's a great way to get to some awesome hanging spots that you wouldn't otherwise see. And you can carry more gear, so you could bring 3 hammocks!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    My wife is a great sport.... But to her, camping is $69.95; and any place without a pool and full kitchen service.... And candidly, it can be a pleasure to join her on outings toooooooooo.

I agree that the more hobbies one has that go with hanging the better
    Hiking
    camping
    Motorcycling
    cycling
    fishing
    hunting
    canoeing
    boating
    designing and testing new gear

Back on the original question of the thread....Mankind is an evolving species, some specimens and speciwomens are slower to adapt... Normally that means more food to the advancing speci..... Natural facts.... After all, there is a limit to available trees.

Save the Earth.....Plant two trees.....

Them go hang for a deseved rest.... yet again one more excuse to use the hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast