WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

Having an issue

I am in the process of making me and the misses a Hammock for here at the house. Here is a link to what I am making, mine is only one layer of the fabric though, not quilted. Hammock
    What my problem is is that I doubled over the ends, double stitched, hole punched holes and installed grommets. I installed the grommets every 5 inches. Now the grommets seem to be pulling out of the fabric (it was a grommet kit). I am using heavy weight cotton blend that is for outside use. Then that got me to thinking that If I could use a strip of some type of thick plastic, punch hole and install more grommets. That would do two things(1. reinforce hole area 2. reinforce and distribute weight across the entire width). But where do i get such a long piece of plastic that I say should be around .050 thick x 1" wide and 5' long? I need two of them.

I also thought of running a 1/4" rod the full width, sew in button holes and run my rope through the button holes and tie off around the rod. This would also distribute the weight.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I don't know what kind of configuration of load you're using here but if you are looking for plastics or aluminum (I'd suggest al over plastic) you could take a peek at www.aircraftspruce.com

You can get lexan in 0.060" and nylon in 0.0625“ (1/16“). Does the version you linked use grommets? I couldn't see on the pictures.

You might want to check Home Depot first though as shipping will hurt a bit. I'd also check at a body shop for end cut strip aluminum. I almost always am able to find the metal pieces I need in the scrap bins at either a metal Fab shop or a body shop.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Personally I'm not a fan of grommets on anything weight bearing. JMHO. I just find them to usually be the weakest part. Even with tarps. I cringe when I see grommets on most things. They do have their place....but heck, not even on banners anymore.

Are you able to just loop your rope through large looped sections of material? I know what I'm trying to say, but don't know if it's making since to you.

Can you put a solid rod encased in the fabric end that you've sewed and tie off to that instead? IE: Similar to running a rod through a curtain, then doing triangle attachments off of that rod?

To you not like the gathered end hammocks? What about making a bridge hammock? What about a gathered end hammock with attachment points added for spreader bars?

Just tossing some options out there.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    ...I also thought of running a 1/4" rod the full width, sew in button holes and run my rope through the button holes and tie off around the rod. This would also distribute the weight...
    This is way I would do it. I might use 3/8" aluminum rod for a little overkill.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    grommets always pull out. The fabric stretches some. . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    grommets always pull out. The fabric stretches some. . .
    That's why I was curious about the one he linked having them. I really wouldn't use grommets myself. Some can make them work but it's a risk I wouldn't take.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I am either going to use some aluminum strips I have here at the house or some metal rod. I used to work aviation building helicopters so I have a bunch of aluminum and now work making aluminum and copper cable, so I can get a couple strips of 1/4 aluminum rod also. Either would work better than grommets.

And the link I had did use grommets. Thats why I used them in the first place. I was already thinking metal rod but after I zoomed in on my link and seen the grommets I decided to go that route....see where that got me?

I will post progress pics as soon as I am done.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If grommets don't pull out of the holes they cut the base fabric and make even bigger more ragged holes. Good choice to go with something else.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    OK, cut some 3/16" thick x 1" wide Aluminum and drilled my holes 3/8", cleaned up the holes and slid it into the opening at the ends. Then I used grommets to clean up the holes that were in the fabric. Made it look really nice and since the grommets are no longer structural just cosmetic they should be good to go.
    Pics to come later in the day.

• + New Posts