Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

History of Hammockgear TQ designs

I've been noting how far below rated temp a 40F HG Burrow has taken me this winter. Must be a two year old quilt; I'm the second owner.

Come to sell it, I go to answer some questions and find out this is different than the current Burrow in at least 2 ways. Weight is the same, at a hair under 16oz. (I think the down is 800FP or so, hi zoot stuff wasn't available back then (?)). Closure at the top is under the chin, not at the side.

But, at its widest it is 46" (or so), not 50" as in current spec. And it lofts to a a full 2", no question of measurement error, not 1.5". The same quantity of down in a 10% smaller quilt -- plenty big IMO -- would account for that.

No complaint in any of the above. The greater loft explains to me why this Burrow is warmer than WM bags of the same rating. By WM standards, this IS a 30-32F quilt, and it has performed that way, easily.

So, some history here?

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    I have a first generation Crows Nest and Summer OQ (Burrow 40°) when Adam was first starting out as The Perfect Trees. Collector items? Probably not. Wonderfully made and full of warm downy goodness? Absolutely!

They've gotten me to around 35, and I was still snuggly warm and comfy.

I've kicked around the idea of upgrading to a newer model, but what's the sense. These quilts are still as great as they were when I first opened the box the day they arrived.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    A little bit of searching on the forum.....but here you go.

Good reading.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'These quilts are still as great as they were when I first opened the box the day they arrived'

and should be for decades with minimal care.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm gonna sleep with mine tonight.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    A little bit of searching on the forum.....but here you go.

<snip>
    I don't find anything in the many posts in that thread that answers to questions about change in design. Did I miss them? I know that a year or so ago the down fill-rate was increased, and that in a previous design the draw cord at the top was to the side.

I know that Adam has made several changes in the design of the UQs. Because web pages get replaced, I thought a long-time watcher, admirer, or afficianado would know the history of the TQ.

I'll retire now to my own HG feather-bed / UQ.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-01-2012 at 08:43. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I don't find anything in the many posts in that thread that answers to questions about change in design. Did I miss them? I know that a year or so ago the down fill-rate was increased, and that in a previous design the draw cord at the top was to the side.

I know that Adam has made several changes in the design of the UQs. Because web pages get replaced, I thought a long-time watcher, admirer, or afficianado would know the history of the TQ.

I'll retire now to my own HG feather-bed / UQ.

...From POST #73 on 2/5/2010: Thank you for the kind words everyone.

Just to let everyone know. In the very near future I will be using 900fp down for all of my products. I should be able to keep my prices the same for the time being. My new down comes in late next week so most orders from this point will have the 900 down.

Makes those sale prices look even better don't it?

~stormcrow

As far a width size of his top quilts, I don't know. A search was fruitless. Maybe someone else knows, or SC or Thorwren themselves will chime in. But like building a better mousetrap, trials, errors and improvements are made.

Bottom line.....quality gear!

My Backpacking Site

• + New Posts