Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images

Unfortunate experience..

I'd like to preface this with a disclaimer: Writing this does not come easily. I have been a customer on two previous occasions, and this is the first negative experience that I've had with Hammock Gear.

In mid-February, I contacted Adam about a custom cuben tarp. He responded promptly and after a brief exchange, I asked if I might have the tarp built to have by March 1st. Adam said that he wasn't sure if he could, but would get back to me after the weekend.

A few days before March 1st, I still hadn't heard from Adam, so I sent another email. Initially he was confused and had, apparently, forgotten about me. He said he could be willing to build and overnight me the tarp if I would cover the shipping - less the usual $10 shipping credit. The shipping would have been quite a lot, and I declined to have the tarp overnighted. Instead, I asked for an invoice and to have my tarp by March 19th.

Two weeks later, I still hadn't received an invoice, and so I emailed Adam again and asked (again) if I could have the tarp by the 19th. I received a prompt response containing an invoice and a note saying that it wouldn't be a problem to have the tarp by the 19th.

The 19th came and went, and I emailed Adam once again on March 23rd. He responded that he had run into cuben supply issues and would be unable to get me the tarp until his shipment came on the 28th or 29th. This is when I finally began to get impatient. Clearly, there had been supply for the tarp three weeks before, when he offered to overnight the tarp to me. I brought my frustration to Adam's attention, and he accepted responsibility. He offered me a discount on a HG product or a partial refund in addition to the tarp. I asked what discount could be offered on a 0* Phoenix, and what the potential 'partial refund' could be.

On the 25th, I received a response from Jen that they could offer me a 20% discount on a Phoenix. I thought that sounded reasonable and replied asking for an invoice (hoping, secretly, that I might be able to get that Phoenix in the same package). Unfortunately, I still haven't received that invoice.

Now, I know that this is a busy time for HammockGear. Tax season/Spring rush, website update, big move, etc., but I'm having a hard time getting past this. At this point, I just want my stuff, and I think I've been reasonable. I'm hopeful that the discounted invoice for the Phoenix will arrive soon and I'll receive all of my shiny new HG stuff a few days later!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. As good as the vendors are around here there will be times when things for some reason or another don't work out as expected. That fact doesn't make it any easier when all you want is your gear to go out and enjoy the outdoors. Hope you get your gear soon!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    This does happen and has to me as well (obviously not the exact same experience). You tend to balance it some with dealing with a cottage vendor and a very busy one at that. However it does and can leave a bad taste in the mouth that takes a while to go away. Here's to hoping all works out for you!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Likely one of the unfortunate drawbacks of success.
    A good product and great customer service can lead to a higher than expected demand, which can sometimes then lead to a backlog.

I hope it works out for all.
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

My Photo Albums

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Likely one of the unfortunate drawbacks of success.
    A good product and great customer service can lead to a higher than expected demand, which can sometimes then lead to a backlog.

I hope it works out for all.
    Exactly......

I'm sure Stormcrow will make good on this particular issue. I've been frustrated with an order or two from our cottage vendors in the past 4 or 5 years. Some are still here, and some have moved on, or sold their interests. But one thing is for sure, the vendors have always stepped up to the plate, and made me feel like their only customer. And that speaks volumes in my book.

But hang (no pun intended) in there. The quality of the products, especially HG, are worth the extra wait!
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have to ask.....what was the point of this thread.

Op, just leave it alone... either work with HG or move on.

jmo...
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    He is sharing feedback about a vendor transaction. We do that here, both good and bad. More often it's good.

I'm sure this will get sorted out soon.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    My dealings with HG go back to when we were both just doing DIY. He jumped in with both feet and I bet mistakes have been made, orders have been delayed. In the end I have always known HG to go way out of their way to make it right. I'm sure you are frustrated at this moment in time and that is understandable. But this is not the end of the transaction and at that point you will be more satisfied. So give him a little bit and I bet he will do what is needed. I have been on both sides of the fence and the delays seem like a long time but nothing compared to the length of time you will get to enjoy his quality gear. I hope you post how it works out in the end because I am confident he will be in much better standing at that point.

Side note to the guy I forgot to send the tarp flyz on March 28th. You parts are going out tomorrow priority.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Op, just leave it alone... either work with HG or move on.

jmo...
    Potential customers should know it's not all perfect.

I've had similar problems with two out of three orders from HG and have gotten very tired of everyone piling on and making excuses when a poster steps up and reports a problem.

While HG makes great products and has reported fantastic growth, I believe it is now time for them to step up the "business" side of their business and reduce the "oops...so sorry we forgot you" situations. It is what will have to happen to maintain their reputation and continued growth.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think it's important that we share experiences, both good and bad, on these forums. As a newbie myself, I have relied heavily on the input of others when making my own purchase decisions. I have found several vendors on these forums that I would not have know existed otherwise, and knowing the good and bad has allowed me to make educated decisions.

I think it's also important that the vendors receive the "constructive criticism" as well so that they are aware of the problems. They can't fix what they don't know is broken.

Just my two cents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast