Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    I'm gathering together bits for a dual hanging and Ground dwelling (grovelling?) soloution.
    I've found some of the tarp camping resouces usefull in my planning how to set up a tarp etc, I've lost the links to these but a bit of googling should help. A work around using poles is to use sticks you find on your hike.

I think I might be a bit of an oddity here since I'm not actually a hiker. I'm a juggler and work/pleasure means I spend up to 9 days three times a year camping at festivals and I'm fair sick of sleeping on the ground. At one of these I can definately hang but the other two locations vary each year.

I'm planning to canabilise* one of my old (cheap) one man tents to get a lightweight groundcloth. I hope that I might be able to rig this so I can use it as an undershield when I am hanging.

The rest of the tent is hopefully going towards some (maybe removable) skirts for my tarp, Idealy I'm hoping for something tentlike so that I can Leave my gear a little bit more secure and also have it apear that I'm just tying my tent up between two trees rather that actually hanging from them

Drop
    *no wal-mart $1 fabric bins in England
    Last edited by Drop; 01-29-2007 at 00:36.

Images
    Jacks R Better are about to begin producing a "Hammock Tent". It completely encloses your hammock and sounds like something you may be interested in. im not sure when they will be available, but they had them at Mt. Rogers this weekend. Should be a picture of them in the Gallery under landscapes. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    The green and black beauty? sweet. If it comes out in time and is juggler priced that looks like it would do the job just fine. I'll still have a go myself because it wouldnt be hammocking if there wasn't some DIY involved.
    Thanks for the heads up Bird Dog

Drop

Images
    No problem. They actually had two different varients. Dont know which one they are going to manufacture. Looked good and stood up to near hurricane force winds at Mt. Rogers. Check with Peter Pan or Smee. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm a Hammock newbie...not totally converted yet, but 75% there! I met some Hammock Hangers at the SoRuck and became very interested it. I had been looking for a lighter weight tent than my current one. But, now maybe not!

Anyhoo, I came home from the Ruck to discover the hammock I had received as a gift a few years back is an ENO. Wheeeee! I've already set it up on my backporch, with a ridgerest and my 30 degree down bag in 47 degree weather for just a short nap to see how I liked it and I LOVE it!!! (do ya'll use down or synthetic, by the way??? Is it personal pref?)

So, I can not find any pictures or directions of how you set up your hammock as a bivy on the ground, if you are in a tree barren area. Can some kind soul please enlighten me or point me to a webpage?

Thank you!

Suzy
    so glad ya found hammock forums,happy hammocking to ya neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

Trekking Poles

Speaking of Trekking Poles...does anyone have a recommendation for a pair?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I use the 'Swiss Gear' from Walmart. They're $10 apiece. They don't have nice cork grips or anything, but they're pretty comfortable. I've been using the same pair for over 2 years now and haven't damaged them at all until this past weekend, when I lost one of the baskets.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You're a juggler and a hammocker, and your name is "Drop." Clever.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

What's the diff between talking about this and a stove? The line is rather thin IMO.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Well I for one would rather have some good advice from a hammocker about a line on walking sticks that can be used for setting up a ground bivvy, in a thread about setting up ground bivvys.

Now if someone jumped into this thread and started nattering on about stoves (especially if it meant that a thread I was interested in sudenly went on a ramble about burn rates etc) then I'd see that as more of a problem. Mind you if theres about 30 posts now about the pros and cons of different hiking poles then the thread looses its identity too.

Personally if somebody wants to start a thread to talk about stoves, fair enough but I'd like to be able to read fairly ontopic threads.

Hasn't another thread allready been hijacked about what can and what cant be talked about? potentially http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=31 would be a good place for discussing content issues or else all thats going to happen are a bunch of trainwreck threads.

attempt at on topicness, My tent groundsheet looks like it might be a go for the groundsheet/undershield mod. I'm resisting getting the scissors out until I try out this natty fleece picnic rug, it has a waterproof bottom, weighs a bit but thats not a major concern for me. The thought of being able to step barefoot out of a hammock onto a nice fluffy carpets quite apealling.
    Last edited by Drop; 01-29-2007 at 22:57. Reason: spelling and attempt to get something ontopic into thread

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast