Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    [QUOTE=FishinFinn;70500]I vote Clark NA, or a double bottom hammock QUOTE]

I have been looking at a Clark NA, and they look great. Do Clark have a double bottom or just the pockets? if so, can a sleepingpad be placed in the pockets? Standard or XL tarp? I like the idea of using the tarp just as a standalone tarp as well.

Is the standard tarp big enough to sit in the hammock, use a stove and stay dry? (I understand it depends on the weather lets say moderate summer rain and moderate wind)

In the autum i expect snow- and ice build-up in the ropes. What is the best setup to avoid using a knife to get my hammock down again?
    Last edited by Harstad; 07-12-2008 at 02:30. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Winter Hanging is all about staying dry and warm.

Make every effort to find a secure, wind protected site.

Get a tarp that pitches well/taut.....Make sure it is large enough for full hammock coverage, as well as full side coverage for wind block (wind moving under, or over you for that matter, steal warmth.... If you hang in areas with changing wind conditions consider a full hammock tent or a tarp that is designed to pitch in near tent like fashion for truly bad and challenging conditions.

Make sure that your suspension has some form of isolation rings, biners, or proven drip cord material, so that water running down webbing or lines goes to ground before reaching the hammock.... Moisture in the hammock material is a major warmth thief.

Solve the bottom insulation issues...A breathable, exterior, under quilt or pod of sufficient loft is the best approach. It allows for maximum room in the hammock which is important in cold weather as you will surely have extra insulation pieces as well as a loftier top quilt or bag in there with you already.

Plan your system to provide for 20 degrees below the expected low temperature for your trip and the area where you will be.... Remember, higher is colder, often much, much colder ... If you don't Mother Nature will surely visit when she is in a bad mood.

If you are new to winter hanging or unsure of your experiance and your winter hammock gear, maintain a "survival level go to ground capability". Take an adequate full length ccf pad.

Before you go into the winter wilds, test your system in a safe location with a bail out plan.

Enjoy! Winter is a great, if not the best, season to hang!!!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    I have been looking at a Clark NA, and they look great. Do Clark have a double bottom or just the pockets? if so, can a sleepingpad be placed in the pockets? Standard or XL tarp? I like the idea of using the tarp just as a standalone tarp as well.
    Just pockets. XL tarp is recommended.

Is the standard tarp big enough to sit in the hammock, use a stove and stay dry? (I understand it depends on the weather lets say moderate summer rain and moderate wind)
    Cavediver did a comparison in a thread somewhere - here it is:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4455

In the autum i expect snow- and ice build-up in the ropes. What is the best setup to avoid using a knife to get my hammock down again?
    Slippery knot, probably the slippery double sheet bend as discussed in this thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=slippery+knot

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Solve the bottom insulation issues...A breathable, exterior, under quilt or pod of sufficient loft is the best approach.
    Pan
    If a quilt is the best option to keep warm at nigth, there will be less (no?) need for the Clark NA model pockets.

Is the Clark UL (or simmilar) a better choice with a quilt then?

Thanx for good advices Pan. And I do plan to stay dry and with a "back-up" plan . Thanx for good advices Pan.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    If a quilt is the best option to keep warm at nigth, there will be less (no?) need for the Clark NA model pockets.

Is the Clark UL (or simmilar) a better choice with a quilt then?

Thanx for good advices Pan. And I do plan to stay dry and with a "back-up" plan . Thanx for good advices Pan.
    Harstad there are a very few Clark owners that use underquilts most people use some sort of pad and sleeping bag or pad and overquilts.
    If you put stuff in the pockets underneath the hammock it will take you down to 20's I am a warm sleeper and have to vent my bag every now and then by throwing a leg out and unzip the weather shield. Most of the time I leave a inch gap at top of weather shield. As for tarps the XL tarp does fine for most people but there are some that like more coverage.

Harstad if you want more information click on the links at bottom of my thread here. The Yahoo site is good because if it is just Clark info you want that is a good place to get it. If you have not seen the video I have done watch both of those they will help out as well.

good luck in your pursuit

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Do those pockets underneath the Clark NA allow cold air to sneak between them?
    I've read posts on this in the past but cant remember what was said.
    What would you call "stuff" in those pockets?
    Also, are there any pics anywhere that show the pockets under the hammock with the pockets
    stuffed?
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-12-2008 at 18:53.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Do those pockets underneath the Clark NA allow cold air to sneak between them?
    I've read posts on this in the past but cant remember what was said.
    What would you call "stuff" in those pockets?
    Good questions

yes there is room under there for air to sneak in to some extent but that
    is why I use a pad in mine.
    I think you will have that with just about anything you use. Some folks
    say to take zip lock bags and fill them up with air
    but I have not tried that because the way I have been using mine I stay toasty warm
    (Stuff) clothing,jacket, boots,socks,camp shoes,Pee Bottle, pretty much what ever was in my pack and such although my Pack is emptied in them if
    I am going to stay a while and then the pack goes inside with me.

hope that clarified your questions
    Last edited by cavediver2; 07-12-2008 at 21:06.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    hope that clarified your questions
    Yes it did. Thanks.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Harstad there are a very few Clark owners that use underquilts most people use some sort of pad and sleeping bag or pad and overquilts.
    If you put stuff in the pockets underneath the hammock it will take you down to 20's I am a warm sleeper and have to vent my bag every now and then by throwing a leg out and unzip the weather shield. Most of the time I leave a inch gap at top of weather shield. As for tarps the XL tarp does fine for most people but there are some that like more coverage.

Harstad if you want more information click on the links at bottom of my thread here. The Yahoo site is good because if it is just Clark info you want that is a good place to get it. If you have not seen the video I have done watch both of those they will help out as well.

Harstad, Cavediver2, et al,

Don't know the totals of Clarks out there but here are a couple of facts.... There are about half a dozen Clark hammock owners using under quilts, that we know of and perhaps others....Also, last January at the winter hang on Mt Roger there were two Clarks...Both converted to under quilts.... While it may be true that gear in the pockets helps, with it you still need a winter pad, with its associated weight and issues....All this preumes that when conditions worsen and you are wearing most if not all your gear that you are carrying extra to fill the pockets.... But hea...the pockets have value and everyones milage may vary..... do some experimenting.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Harstad, Cavediver2, et al,

Don't know the totals of Clarks out there but here are a couple of facts.... There are about half a dozen Clark hammock owners using under quilts, that we know of and perhaps others....Also, last January at the winter hang on Mt Roger there were two Clarks...Both converted to under quilts.... While it may be true that gear in the pockets helps, with it you still need a winter pad, with its associated weight and issues....All this preumes that when conditions worsen and you are wearing most if not all your gear that you are carrying extra to fill the pockets.... But hea...the pockets have value and everyones milage may vary..... do some experimenting.

Pan
    Pan

That is why I said that there was a few Clark owners that use a underquilt because I have only seen two or three on here that I know of with pictures while I didn't say that underquilts were not useful I said that I use a pad with my Clark and stuff pockets with ( stuff ) I then tried to clear that up with what I put in my pockets. I was doing teens with a self inflatable pad and half *** bag and stuff under me but like you say everyone's mileage may very.....

END QUOTE

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12