WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings

Changing my mind on Whoopies/toggles/dutch clips

When I first got into hammocks, I went all in. Had to have all the "buzzword gear". Don't get me wrong, they all seem to work, but what I have used just complicated things and had me keeping up with all kinds of small items.

My biggest example is Whoopie Slings. Yes they are lightweight. But as I sat back and thought about it, I'm still using the tree straps that came with my Blackbird and Traveler hammocks to connect the whoopie slings. Brandon's system works great and is all in one except the choice of biners or dutch clips (more on those later). With the whoopies I needed to add a toggle. So I cut some good dowel rods and sanded and smoothed them out and they work great. But you still have to keep up with them when you pack out. They are one more thing to think about. So now I have cut the weight of the whoopies, wood dowels, and dutch clips and at the same time have less to keep up with. Yes, I know the carabiners add back some weight, but they are quite light themselves.

Dutch clips are an amazing invention. Had to have them. Light, durable, ingenious. With that said, I have gone back to carabiners. They don't have to be sewn on to keep up with them better. Clip them to anything and they stay. If you don't sew the dutch clips, you have to keep up with them along with the toggles. I saw a post about a new version, so maybe that issue is not an issue anymore. Again, just what works for me.

Tarp flys - AWESOME - can't live without them. Put them on and forget them. Light, easy, can't lose them, never think about them.

I should have just gotten the BB to begin with to be able to fore-go another sack for the bug net.

Maybe others have ideas that I have not thought about. I am interested to read everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Heh.

I went back to real old school webbing and rings for my suspensions a long time ago. I still have a box full of whoopies and I use them when I'm really trying to cut weight, but the simplicity of the webbing and rings outweighs any weight savings on most trips. Nothing wrong with not using all the current 'must-haves'. It is wise to try them, just to see if they work for you and your style, but in the end it is you that has to lug it, set it, and pack it.

I like my Dutch Clips too much to part with them. Although I confess that they only end up in my pack about half the time. The rest of the time I use biners. Again, just too simple to take out of the pack.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Getting caught up in the latest gear happens. I am the same. On a recent trip swapped out my whoopies and went back to webbing and cinch buckles. Yes they were a little more bulk and weight but not a big deal for me. The simplicity made me ask myself why I use all this different gear. I suppose its the gear freak in me. I like changing things up but there are times when the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rings true.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    All part of the beuty of HYOH (hang your own hang).

Some folks love whoopie slings, tarp flyz, nacrabiners, soft shackles, Dutch Clips, Dutch biners, etc. etc. etc.

I have tried all of the above and settled on a relatively lightweight, easily adjustable, simple, versatile system IMHO.

Webbing, carabiners, and descender rings.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    How about Whoopie Hooks permanently attached to Amsteel?

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/

Nothing but Amsteel Whoopies and tree straps needed. Because the Hooks detach from the hammock the straps can be fed through the end loop instead of a 'biner etc. I have the WB adjustable webbing set up and like the simplicity too (weight not an issue on the motorcycle). That said the above system is still calling...

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I have the WB adj. webbing on all of my Hammocks, It works best for me too. I have only recently started playing with the whoopies. While both work well, I don't see the whoopies staying. I also use dutch clips, I have both designs and since stitching the old style have had no problems keeping up with them the new style fixed the problem.

I tried the tarp flies, and still use them in place of a figure 9 when I use a continuous ridge line. As of recent I switched to a 2 piece tarp ridge line and use the dutch hooks on both ends.

As Tendertoe said thats the beauty of the gear available it all works so we all have a choice. It is however comforting to see others use similar methods as I do, it makes me feel less weird

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    They didn't make one way to hang a hammock and quit. I like trying out the latest and greatest whiz bang item. Some work for me, some don't. It's all part of the fun.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    OK , so I'm not crazy. There are others out there like me!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    For sure.

I've used all kinds of hardware for tarps as well as my hammock but lately I just like tying knots and hitches. Initially I just liked knowing knots in case hardware got lost or broken but these days I find tying everything up without hardware to be very satisfying. Maybe its just a tiny step towards being more bushcrafty.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast